Cardio Kickboxing

Options
I'm at the beginning of my weigh loss journey and am looking for fun, interesting classes to try. I've done Zumba and totally love it! I did a Zumba + toning class this morning and it pretty much kicked my butt, but I got through it. I was thinking about trying a cardio kickboxing class, but have heard that it's a pretty intense class. Is this something anyone would recommend for someone who isn't in great shape yet, or is it just too challenging? Could I make it work by modifying the movements if necessary? Thoughts??

Replies

• challenge_accepted
    Options
    I currently do cardio kickboxing as well as Zumba and spin classes every week at my gym. In comparison to Zumba- yes, cardio kickboxing is much more intense, from my experience. This doesn't mean to not give it a shot! With any other exercise- you get what you put in. It might kick your butt for a few classes, but I have noticed my overall endurance has increased dramatically after taking this class. Good luck. You might get addicted like me!
  • Homeschoolingmommy
    Homeschoolingmommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot like Turbo Jam/Turbo Fire. I LOVE Turbo Jam! You could try a DVD at home first and move on to the class if you like it. There are classes offered at some gyms called Turbo Kick which is Turbo Jam. Good Luck!
  • Scottysbabygirl
    Options
    I use to do cardio kickboxing, but it's been awhile. My suggestion would be to do a few dvd's - the library usually has plenty to pick from. I love Denise Austin's cardio kickboxing just to start and get the moves down.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've done Turbo Kick,Turbo Jam,Turbo Fire, and spinoffs of those for 10 years now. I love them. I've found the DVDs to be lower intensity than the classes (same as Zumba) and a good way to ease in as a beginner. If you go to class, that's great too! Just know that you will probably be confused as hell and stepping all over yourself the first couple of times. EVERYONE starts that way. Keep going, it will get easier! Take it at your own pace - most instructors will give low-impact options in case you have bad knees or need to let your heart rate come down. Definitely give it a try; it does great things for your body.
  • rm_and_m
    Options
    I currently do a Cardio Kickboxing class and, yes, it is very challenging (and addicting :happy: ). There are always modifications you can do. I'd encourage you to just go for it.

There are all fitness levels in the class and you'll be working so hard that you won't notice a single soul around you except for your instructor.