Working out and getting bored... HELP

I have been going to the gym 4-5 days a week. Whenever I go, I start with 30 min on the elliptical then I go to the free weights or machines. While I am on the elliptical, I really feel like I am working out... My heart is pumping, I am sweating etc... but as soon I as start on the machines, I feel good for the first 3 or 4 machines but then I get bored and am counting the minutes until it is time to go home. I keep trying to mix it up but I don't know...

Any one have any ideas? I love going to the gym but I guess I just need to spice it up...

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Lift heavier on the free weights. I find it difficult to be bored when I feel like my body may collapse.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Sounds like you need to research some new workouts. I'm the opposite some days. I love hitting the weights. 6-7 exercises, 4 set each with 45-60 seconds of rest between sets. That gets your heart pumping for 45-50 minutes.
  • pinchaninch1
    pinchaninch1 Posts: 8 Member
    My instructor said to do interval training ie 1 min fast run 1 min walk or 2 mins each, this helped me stop getting bored x
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Do you just randomly walk around and do machines or do you follow a program? I would suggest following a program that incorporates both free weights and machines. Not only does it give you a goal to follow to get to the end of the workout (thus ridding you of your boredom), you will have more success if you are on a tried and true program.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    Yesterday I started Hiit training on the elliptical which helped... I will definitely be looking up more exercises...
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Look up some workouts for circuit/interval training, they combine strength and cardio and really bump up the challenge factor. Also, try a new class! Anything to shake it up and give you something to look forward to.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    I am a random walker for the most part.... I work out my abs every day I go to the gym... Then my arms and legs are randoms.. There are no set days where I do either...

Even though I use the elliptical, should I still have a leg day after?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    the gym does not require spice. the gym requires committment. find an established training program and stick to it. once you start to see results in the mirror i bet you stop worrying about spice and starting looking for success.

Happy Birthday Lea!

thskadance20couple.gif
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    yep, mix it up, there are lots of wonderful things out there!
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    I like to superset when lifting weights. Do one exercise, move on to another (a different muscle group), then another and repeat 3 times. I don't rest between sets. I keep it moving fast. Then I'll jump on the treadmill or bike for high intensity cardio in between each circuit. I'll usually do 3 or 4 full circuits for a total of 9-12 different lifting exercises. I never get bored lifting when I'm working hard and sweating. Try mixing it up a little. Watch what some other people are doing at your gym. You can get some great ideas. And if it feels like you're not working hard, try lifting heavier weights.