HELP!! Need suggestions

Options
Hi All,
Am starting to get a little frustrated as I have been doing my fitpal for about 3 weeks now and am staying under my calorie goal everyday and have cut out ALL fast foods (which I used to eat alot of)..... but am not losing any weight..... in fact one week I even gained 200 grams...... Any ideas ?????

Replies

• DaffyDil
    DaffyDil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It might be hard for someone to help you with suggestions if they can't view your diary.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You need to provide more information in order for anyone to help. Open your diary
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It could be that you are under eating, it could be water retention from exercise, it could be sodium, etc... but 1/2 lb increase is nothing. How many calories are you eating, what is your exercise routine, what are your stats (height, weight, age) and can you open your food diary.

Most important, it's been three weeks and weight loss isn't linear. Dont stress it so much.
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking your measurements? You may see a change there first. Sometimes I think it might take your body a little adjustment time when you make a change.Try not to be discouraged hang in there I`m sure you`ll soon see results! Good Luck.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? What is your calorie intake? How much weight are you trying to lose? What is your sodium intake like?

These are all questions you should answer.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What IS your calorie goal, Who are you.. like, age, height, and so forth?

How much do you exercise?

What are you doing other than following a calorie goal here, and what kind of weight loss / calorie dut did you set MFP at? (*kitten* I just ended a sentence in a preposition, sry guys)
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Well with no information to go on, I can generally answer you and say that, differences in sodium intake and hydration levels can play havoc with a scale. Not that you HAVE to lower your sodium intake, but salt and water in your body have to be in balance, so if you eat more sodium, your body will take in more water, retain it, so that you remain in balance.

Now, I want you to take a gallon milk jug, and step on your scale and weigh yourself. Then I want you to weigh yourself holding the jug of water. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. drinking your daily requirement in water is worth 4 pounds of "weight" alone.

If you aren't seeing a change in the scale, it's because your calorie deficit isn't deep enough - and there's no reason it should be. If you cut -15% calories eaten from what you burn every day... Take an average person who burns 2,000 calories in a day. if you have a 15% cut from that, that would be 300 calories.

-300 calories would take almost 12 days (3500 calories roughtly = a pound) to see 1 pound lost.

If you cut 300 calories, waited 12 days, and then had extra sodium the day before and were retaining water, then the scale would show NO change, or it might even be UP!

I'm a big fan of people starting with a moderate calorie cut so that they can see real results from their efforts, and won't get discouraged.

But in truth, if you have a moderate cut, you likely won't see any changes to your body or weight for weeks, perhaps even months. As long as you wake up each day with determination to make better choices, then you aren't doing ANYTHING wrong =)
  • Lorettaholland
    Lorettaholland Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry, forgot to open my food Diary..... hopefully its worked :) thanks for the suggestions so far...... and in response, I'm 33 years old, weigh 95.7 kgs and am hoping to lose about 1 kg per week (20 kgs over about 5months)......I'm currently exercising about 3 times a week for an hour at a time, but am trying to increase that.
  • Lorettaholland
    Lorettaholland Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks heaps for all that...... its extremely helpful and encouraging :smile:
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Your diet looks spot on, You seem to be hitting your macronutrient goals just fine.

There are some people who are going to say that you are eating too few calories, and that you should refer to...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

...and recalculate your cut off of those numbers, but honestly, It's easiest just to use MFP's recommended cut and macros at first. You can always tinker down the road.
  • knitincrazee
    knitincrazee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Help I've still got 500 calories to eat. I wonder will it hurt NOT to eat them all?
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I suggest you exercise and eat most of your exercise calories as well.
    The food itself looks ok for the last few days. You can eat more if you exercise. It will help
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You should be eating more... one day you ate less than 800 calories. You need to properly fuel your body.

Also, try tracking your sodium. You seem to eat a lot of processed foods.