Constipation

Options

Replies

• Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well and I run 5-6 miles a day with strength training and stretching. It's a healthy diet for an athlete. Try eating oatmeal in the mornings with your coffee.

I run a couple of miles every other day. And I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast. :-)

The oat meal you eat is not very healthy oatmeal. It only has 2 grams of fiber switch it with Old fashion rolled oats (not 1min oats) and throw in some blue berries for taste and a total of 6-8g fiber. YOU NEED MORE FIBER. Google fiber and what the health benefits are and what foods are high in it. The more you learn about nutrition and healthy foods the better off you will be for the long term.
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This could very well be TMI but I'm looking for some advice. I never had any problems before and then I changed my diet on Jan 1st. I went to 1200 calories a day. And now I've noticed over the past couple of weeks my bowel movements have been less and less. I'm worried that I'm depriving my body of so much food that it's messing up my system? I drink a ton of water a day and have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I'm exercising and I'm taking fiber choice chewables to get more fiber and I started taking a multi vitamin. I'm going to take some colace tonight in hopes of nipping it in the butt and hopefully it'll work itself out after that but does anyone have an answer as to why I'd be having problems and what I can do to correct it for the long term?

check if your MVA (multivitamin) contains Iron - if the constipation started after you began supplementing Iron - that could be a cause of constipation

No, I started having this issue before I started the multi... I started taking it thinking it would make up for something I was missing.
  • jack1925
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well and I run 5-6 miles a day with strength training and stretching. It's a healthy diet for an athlete. Try eating oatmeal in the mornings with your coffee.

I run a couple of miles every other day. And I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast. :-)

The oat meal you eat is not very healthy oatmeal. It only has 2 grams of fiber switch it with Old fashion rolled oats (not 1min oats) and throw in some blue berries for taste and a total of 6-8g fiber. YOU NEED MORE FIBER. Google fiber and what the health benefits are and what foods are high in it. The more you learn about nutrition and healthy foods the better off you will be for the long term.

What about flax? Is flax a good source of fiber?
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options

What about flax? Is flax a good source of fiber?

1 TBS of ground flax has 2g in it. If you are going to add flax make sure it is milled or ground. If it is whole seeds it will just travel though your body and you will not gain any benefits from it. By adding flax you will also add 1,300mg of OMEGA- 3 oils. That is good for lowering cholesterol if that is an issue also good for reducing inflammation and the immune, reproductive &, nervous systems and the heart.

I add a packet of Hodgson Mill flax seed to my oatmeal every day. If you buy it in a large bag keep it in the fridge from going bad. I buy the Travel packets already measured out and sealed to keep the OMEGA 3 from going bad. You can useuly find them at the food store but below is a link of what it looks like.

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/Milled-Flax-Seed-Travel-Flax/71518-01014-021_Group.aspx
  • jack1925
    Options
    Well, I uped my calories to 1500 a day (300 increase) I bought some flax to add to my oatmeal and yogurt in the mornings. And took some milk of magnesia and munching on fresh veggies.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yep...fiber!! change one of the things MFP tracks for you to fiber (i got rid of sugar, since i was always over since i eat fruit). i have to eat 35 g EVERY DAY or i will become constipated. EVERY DAY. i eat kashi go lean for breakfast every morning, which gets in lots of fiber. i was going once a week, now every day! :)

also, i didn't look at your diary, but i was seriously seriously constipated when i drank protein shakes, no matter how much fiber i ate. so if you're drinking them, may want to experiment.

good luck!!!!
  • figomezzo
    Options
    I think you said it started before the multi-vitamin came into play but I was having this problem a couple months ago and finally realized it was because of the Vitamin D I was taking. Once I cut back on the dosage (doc recommended 4000 IU) I was regular again. Sometimes its just your body reacting to new vitamins or supplements you are taking!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Metamucil and coffee
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are getting 30% of your calories from fat. Lots of people think they need to cut fat out of their diets, and that can really block you up.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and still do at times.. I track my fiber and eat metamucil wafers and lots of fiber one... I eat between 1400-1500 cals a days and exercise regularly but I am still not as regular as I would like to be.

i think it is a work in progress to find what works..
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with this since childhood. I have done the whole laxative thing...regretfully. I try to fix it using a natural method now (via food).

This works for me. But I have to eat it all at once, I prefer at breakfast. I do this only when I get REALLY constipated because it's annoying to use so many calories on food I don't really want to eat at that moment.

2 servings of fiber one (120 cal) + 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (30) + some truvia & cinnamon to make it taste good (10)
    1 serving of prunes (100) + 1 container of light activia (70)
    2 reese's pb cups (LOL I KNOW, but eating rich fatty food helps) (210)
    1 diet coke (carbonation helps also) (0)
    1 cup of coffee + sweetener + almond milk (caffeine) (30)
    total = 570 calories

So yes, it's a lot. But it will work within 1 - 4 hours. It has never failed me, ever. It hits all the triggers at once. Fiber, probiotics, lactose, fat, sugar, caffeine, carbonation, warmth, and a very full stomach.
  • ladycoy
    ladycoy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to always suffer, tried all the stuff in the chemist, my solution, 6 tinned prunes each evening, now pooping not an issue:-) be careful tho, my other half only needs 1 prune to obtain results :-)
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I make sure that I have adequate dietary fiber every day or I don't go as often. I will have a grain product with 6 or 8 grams of fiber in the morning, and then I try to have brown rice, freekeh, or some other higher fiber food in addition to some fresh foods. Up the fiber in foods that you eat. You have to stay up on it. Also, make sure you get adequate fats, too. If you just do a non-fat diet, you need some fats for digestion.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of water, eating at least 30 mg of fiber a day, and you may need to eat more. Your body may be holding onto it's nutrients because it thinks it's being starved. 1200 is rarely enough calories for anyone. Also, try taking a probiotic... it helps aid in digestive health. When I started - I felt terrible for about an entire month. The fiber is a HUGE factor in this and can be found in plenty of healthy foods - veggies, fruits, nuts, and whole wheat breads.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    -More veggies
    -More "good" fats
    -Take a magnesium supplement
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    they joy of weight loss. Lots of great advice around here. I take the Mg pills but I'm still a slow mover sigh. Might need to go back to drinking my prune juice.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking and having an open diary. You will want to eat 20 grams of fiber at minimum on most if not every day. Plenty of water too and consume whatever the calorie intact should be for your age, sex and size. If constipation is persistent issue see a doctor. Best of luck !
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, check your macros. I took a peek at your food diary and notice that, instant oatmeal and fiber supplement notwithstanding, your fiber intake is consistently under goal (often way under!). I also notice that there do not seem to be many fruits or veggies in there. (Juice and the teeny bit of veg in processed dinners won't do it).

Add fruit and veggies (particularly green leafies) - lots of them (at least 5 and more like 10 servings (half a cup cooked, a cup of salad greens, half an apple etc) per day.

Try a high fiber cereal like Fiber One (The original variety is a bit uninspiring but the flakes are tasty) instead of your oatmeal which rally does not have that big a fiber punch.

Drink lots of water and take a walk after dinner.

Good luck.
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have to relax early in the mornings or I will not go all day. I've actually started waking up 30 minutes early just to relax. It cuts into my sleeping time but I would rather poop one good time than sleep for 30 more minutes.

This! I thought I was the only crazy person with this routine :)
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I have IBS and have problems using fiber supplements. I have found that there are certain trigger foods that help. I also use a stool softener but I have to vary the amount taken depending on my gut. This is sure not a fun problem but one that most of us relate to in some way. Best wishes!