The all falmous low carb diets- thoughts?

Options

Replies

• jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    In my opinion, each person needs to find his/her own balance. So, there is no rule that applies to all the people. I learned it the hard way since I always tried following some low-carb diets and realized each time I feel terrible. I felt weak with very low carb diets, but at the same time, if I didn't watch my carb intake, I could get too addicted to carbs and eat them non-stop. This is no good.

So, I have finally discovered my own techniques. I started feeling my own body instead of following some written rules about what carbs and how many carbs I should eat. I feel great if I get carbs from veggies and fruits (especially fresh), and do not feel good when I get too many of them from added sugars, breads, etc. What a relief to discover this! :happy: :happy:

So if you feel fine at 165grams, and you're getting those carbs from healthy sources, I see nothing wrong here. If it's not broken, why fix it, right? Just be happy! :smile:

Find what works for you. This article was a great eye-opener to me:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
  • SkinnyOJ2010
    Options
    On a course i went on recently, they said your diet should be made up of 55-60% carbs ... hmmm i'm not really too sure about this statistic. The traditional method is one quarter of plate carbs, one quarter protein and half veg ...
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I completely agree that you need to listen to your body and work out whatever is best for you because absolutely no one plan fits everyone. I cut out white/startchy/sugary carbs but still eat brown rice, millet, quinoa, bulghar, etc. and occaisionally rye or whole wheat bread - I find that I don't get energy crashes or hunger spikes that way. I was eating a lot more whole wheat bread but realised it was making me feel really uncomfortably bloated so I switched to salads with lean protein rather than sandwiches for lunch and I feel much better. But honestly everyone is different - experiment with different proportions and go with whatever makes you feel best!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a college course on nutrition. It is a biology course and really goes in depth into the way your body processes food chemically and what have you. Taking this course has scared the bejabbers out of me, especially regarding low-carb diets. Glucose is the basis of every chemical, cellular and metabolic activity in which the body partakes. When we get too little carbs, the body has to resort to breaking down proteins (mainly muscle tissue) to create a glucose alternative. Contrary to what Atkins says, when the body starts throwing ketones it is from protein breakdown, not fat burning.

Healthy carbs are whole grains, fruits, brown rice, and vegetables; unhealthy carbs are processed sugar, white potatoes, refined white flour. I do believe that too many carbs can increase your tendency to gain weight, but too few can be quite harmful as well.

If you want to cut back on your carb grams eliminate the unhealthy carbs and see what happens. If you aren't satisfied, then gradually reduce a few more grams until you feel better.

this is much more sensible than the drastic all or nothing approaches out there-

and didn't cavemen die at the ripe old age of about 30? if they were lucky?

Well, also consider in ancient times the highest rates of disease weren't from the popular neolithic death agents of diabetes, heart disease, and elevated cancer rates. That didn't really come into play until the rise of modern agriculture and affluence in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. We're just now finding the ancient Egyptians (of affluence, anyway) suffered from quite a malady of diseases, maybe tied to their indulgent diets: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2007/851/eg11.htm.

You'd be much more likely to die at a young age of the following in ancient times (before the rise of modern agriculture and modern society as we know it): being mauled to a bloody pulp by a predator, hypothermia, famine, eating something poisonous, tribal war, getting clubbed in the head, or injury (which, without care was most likely fatal in those days). John Locke's Social Contract didn't fully exist in those days, so if you wanted to nail your brother's wife, he was basically entitled to beat your head with a rock and kill you. Sure, there were nomadic societies, but there was not a lot of protection from the elements, an angry opposing tribe, or predators.

So, what's my point here? Modern medicine is a beautiful thing and I don't think we can contribute a caveman's death solely to his propensity to dine on bone marrow and raw, freshly killed meat. The death rate in the middle ages was even higher thanks to lack of sanitation and widespread disease. Grok the caveman probably had a higher quality of life than someone living in modern Europe during the time of the Black Plague.

And...I'm not saying grains are to blame here, no. But, overindulgence of anything - especially foods of empty nutrition, the ever-increasing amount of "sweetness" in our food supply, lack of movement...those are some pretty negative things that have accompanied the growth of modern society. And if we look at the basis of more traditional societies - modern day tribes in Brazil - we don't see them dropping dead at age 30. They may have a higher propensity to be killed by a predator like an anaconda, but their diet is in a more natural state than the remainder of the modern world, and no doubt they're not plagued by so many of our modern-day "lifestyle" maladies. And other societies of long lifespan DO eat grains (think Okinawa, Japan which has a concentration of centurians) or Mediterraneans, or the French. BUT, they also don't shun dietary fat, meat, and/or fish. They simply eat in moderation, have less stress, and move much more (even at an older age) than the majority of Americans.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Sorry about the thread derail guys...carry on!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Carbs are out bodies main source for energy, they also support kidney function. You need them they are not "bad" for you. The problem is the source, you want fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Carbs should not be refined flours and sugars. Like others have said, you will have to find your balance as to what works best for you. As far as the "low carb" diets go, DH and I both did the South Beach diet several years ago and were very successful. However we gained it all back and for him he gained back even more. I now just watch what I eat and do my best to keep it balanced and don't really count anything but calories.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    as other posters have said it depends on the person. i have cut my carbs down to 50-100 and i feel great. i have IBS and i have realizzed the whole rains reaked havoc on my digestive system. bloating and feeling yucky. and at 50-100 if i still wanted a bowl of oatmeal or pasta i could have it.

again it depends on what your body needs. i agree with the lower carbs. i did a 20 or less years ago and was succesful but as soon as i went back to eating junk again, i gained it back.

"you are, what you eat"
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a college course on nutrition. It is a biology course and really goes in depth into the way your body processes food chemically and what have you. Taking this course has scared the bejabbers out of me, especially regarding low-carb diets. Glucose is the basis of every chemical, cellular and metabolic activity in which the body partakes. When we get too little carbs, the body has to resort to breaking down proteins (mainly muscle tissue) to create a glucose alternative. Contrary to what Atkins says, when the body starts throwing ketones it is from protein breakdown, not fat burning.

Healthy carbs are whole grains, fruits, brown rice, and vegetables; unhealthy carbs are processed sugar, white potatoes, refined white flour. I do believe that too many carbs can increase your tendency to gain weight, but too few can be quite harmful as well.

If you want to cut back on your carb grams eliminate the unhealthy carbs and see what happens. If you aren't satisfied, then gradually reduce a few more grams until you feel better.

this is much more sensible than the drastic all or nothing approaches out there-

Cave men didn't die due to illness and such. They died at young ages due to falling victim to bigger animals. There is much research that their bones were stronger and no signs of illness.

We haven't evolved that much for our bodies to handle grains. Grains are nothing but irritants to the human body.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    i have read MANY MANY MANY times that AT FIRST you will loose more weight on a high protein carb restricted diet due to WATER WEIGHT LOSS but that in the long run it is no more successful than anything else out there. ( i believe its on web md and Mayo clinics website also... if you google it there are many articles on it, they recommend regular sensible dieting, and calories in calories out). On the actual atkins forums i read some people not losing weight even in the induction phase (less than 20 carbs per day). Just my thoughts on my research. Plus Atkins has become slightly more complicated, having to count net carbs and making sure that 12-15 carbs are from certain veggies etc. You can not have fruits or nuts in induction, you can only in phase 3 add them back in, and only certain ones.

I did the Atkins plan with the 2002 book and did not lose water weight, unless I had 98 pounds of water weight to lose. I don't believe web md nor the mayo clinic because they have big pharma agendas.

I can point out a LOT of people that are on Atkins or any other low carb plan, have lost the weight and kept it off. I even know marathon runners that are on Atkins.
    Were you able to keep that 98 lbs off since 2002?

I have kept off about 50 pounds of the 98 I lost. I started doing a low carb lifestyle (Atkins) in 2003 when I found out I had PCOS, diabetes, and bipolar disorder.

I gained a lot of weight back due to going through a lot of stressful things in my life............marital problems, layoffs, relocating from Virginia back to Illinois, near fatal car accident.

I wouldn't have gained it back if I didn't go through life changes......but I handled my stress by turning to food, which is not good for someone who is diabetic.

Last fall I switched from Atkins to Primal Blue Print because I found when I get to the point in Atkins (Phase 2, On going weight loss) that when I reach the carb ladder to start adding in grains, beans and legumes I stalled out my weight loss or gained a couple of pounds.

But it is not hard to keep the weight off doing a low carb lifestyle. You just have to want to eat natural and oragnic (if you can afford it) and it takes a lifestyle change to do it.

That is not to say I will never have cake again, it just will not be often. It will be only 1 or 2 times a year, when I choose to have it.
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time low-carber, and have done Atkins successfully.

The thing is, there are only about 30% of the population, who can eat just about anything they want, and not gain weight.

The other 70% have to watched what they eat and for most, its too many carbs.

Carbs are necessary for a healthy lifestyle, even Dr. Atkins specifies this. However, they must be from good sources and
    must not contain too much sugar.

The first phase of Atkins which is 14 days, you are limited to 20g's per day, of carbs. After that, you being to add 5 gs per week, until you stop loosing weight. This is your threshold.

For me, its 45-55 gs per day. Doesn't matter if I'm under my calorie count, if I add more than 55gs of carbs, I will begin to put back the weight.

Every person is different and they have to find their own carb threshold.

I'm on pre-maintenance level now, and I am adding breads, pasta and other favorites, but I have to remain vigil in watching not only carbs, but my calories as well.

As Lioness said, go off any diet and you'll gain back the weight you loss. Its how you became overweight in the first place.

Jim
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Thanks JimCRods................

I have posted on this site several times all the foods that you eat while doing Atkins within all 4 phases and people still believe the hype that there is no grains, no fruit, etc allowed.

It is a shame that people don't read and research on their own, but form an opinion based on media, which always scrutinizes the unpopular angle...............

Also, it is a proven fact that we haven't evolved from our cave man ancestors as much as people would like to think we have.........That is why only about 30% of the population can eat what ever and not have a weight problem. I think it is VERY evident with in the United States when you have 60 some percent of the population that is overweight or obese...........

Diabetes, thyroid, renal gland and pituitary gland issues are rampant among Americans especially, along with bipolar disorder, depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc...............I could go on and on with all the new disorders and ailments.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time low-carber, and have done Atkins successfully.

The thing is, there are only about 30% of the population, who can eat just about anything they want, and not gain weight.

The other 70% have to watched what they eat and for most, its too many carbs.

Carbs are necessary for a healthy lifestyle, even Dr. Atkins specifies this. However, they must be from good sources and
    must not contain too much sugar.

The first phase of Atkins which is 14 days, you are limited to 20g's per day, of carbs. After that, you being to add 5 gs per week, until you stop loosing weight. This is your threshold.

For me, its 45-55 gs per day. Doesn't matter if I'm under my calorie count, if I add more than 55gs of carbs, I will begin to put back the weight.

Every person is different and they have to find their own carb threshold.

I'm on pre-maintenance level now, and I am adding breads, pasta and other favorites, but I have to remain vigil in watching not only carbs, but my calories as well.

As Lioness said, go off any diet and you'll gain back the weight you loss. Its how you became overweight in the first place.

Jim
    I never think of myself as on a diet, I think you're right if you diet you gain the weight right back.

I believe if you make an actual lifestyle change in regards to eating you will keep the weight off!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

That is incorrect. Ketones break down fat, not protein.

Actually you are incorrect. The process she is referring to is called gluconeogenesis and it is the result of the body breaking down proteins to make into glucose to perform basic body functions in the absense of adequate carbohydrate intake because while protein can be converted to glucose, fat cannot. The average person needs at least 130 grams of carbohydrate a day to perform basic brain function, and if it doen't get it then the process she stated will occur.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

That is incorrect. Ketones break down fat, not protein.

Actually you are incorrect. The process she is referring to is called gluconeogenesis and it is the result of the body breaking down proteins to make into glucose to perform basic body functions in the absense of adequate carbohydrate intake because while protein can be converted to glucose, fat cannot. The average person needs at least 130 grams of carbohydrate a day to perform basic brain function, and if it doen't get it then the process she stated will occur.

It was stated before that ketones break down protein and not fat, which is incorrect. Ketosis is the body's burning of fat and using it as an energy source in place of carbs. It is not unhealthy to be in ketosis, please don't get it confuse it ketoacidosis, which are two totally different things.

Gluconeogenesis is the tprocess hat results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids. (lactate, glycerol and glucogenic amino acids are not protein).

If what she were saying was true, that muscle tissue was broken down to convert to glycogen, then that means there would be a lot of body builders losing a lot of muscle as when they are prepping for competitions, they go in deep ketosis to burn fat and eat a lot of protein to build muscle mass fast.

I can also attest to this as I have no muscle loss when I lost 98 pounds on Atkins in 2003.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    So, my total for carbs according to MFP goals is 165 g.
    Should I feel guilty about this? Is this too much carbs? are carbs bad for me?
    I only worry because Atkins and other similar diets, do not like carbs and restrict to 19 g or something crazy like that, but I know they work.
    I am a carb worry-holic now, and would like to know, is 165 g carb per day too much?
    BTW: just in case you're wondering, I am NOT on Atkins or any other diet, I'm just paying atttention to my calories and eating sensibly, but was wondering about carb count.

Hips, ultimately the choice is up to you. As you can see this is a very controversial issue, so the main question you should ask yourself, is: what style of eating will you be able to maintain for the rest of your life? Because diets don't work for the long haul - you will gain the weight back once you go off of the diet. Are you a carb lover? If so, then the Atkins/South Beach/Low Carb plan will not work for you. You also need to take your other health issues into consideration. Lioness, has diabetes, therefore 165g is too high for her. However, I have lost a lot of weight by just cutting calories, which still allows me a daily carb intake of 165g. Sometime I eat more than that, but they are GOOD carbs: fruits, veggies and whole grains. I don't use any added sugar and eat a limited amount of processed foods (such as granola, wheat thins).

There is not one eating plan that is appropriate for everyone - do what you feel comfortable with. If you find you're either not losing weight, or if you find you are losing energy or are having abnormal test results during your physicals, then you will need to re-evaluate the plan you chose. If you are having serious doubts, than meet with a nutritionist. Ask your PCP to recommend one, if you don't know where to go.

And as others have said, this is a lifestyle change. You are learning how to be as healthy as possible, so whatever plan you chose, you should be able to stick with it. Good Luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Cave men didn't die due to illness and such. They died at young ages due to falling victim to bigger animals. There is much research that their bones were stronger and no signs of illness.

We haven't evolved that much for our bodies to handle grains. Grains are nothing but irritants to the human body.

any nomadic lifestyle is going to develop strong thick bones. That doesn't mean they didn't have heart attacks, which wouldn't be evident from the fossil record. The bones can't tell the entire story on nutrition levels.

If grains lead to obesity, why is China, (who consumes rice at an amazing rate) so slim?
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ironically, although the Chinese tend to be thinner than Americans, the rate of
    diabetes is not much different.

New study shows Chinese diabetes rate chasing that of U.S.

After working overtime to catch up to life in the West, China now faces a whole new problem: the world's biggest diabetes epidemic.

One in 10 Chinese adults already has the disease and another 16 percent are on the verge of developing it, according to a new study. The finding nearly equals the U.S. rate of 11 percent and surpasses other Western nations, including Germany and Canada.

The survey results, published today in the New England Journal of Medicine, found much higher rates of diabetes than previous studies, largely because of more rigorous testing measures.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_14752901

Jim
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Simply put - I do NOT believe in Lo-Carb diets!!!! Your body needs carbs!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Your body does need carbs.

Will you lose weight on a low carb diet? Yes, but it WILL come back eventually if you go back to the same eating patterns. All it does is cause temporary water weight loss, which will come back once you start eating the carbs again.

Once you go into ketosis, your body will be weak, it will be difficult to work out, you will be tired, irritable, have fuzzy brain among other things (like bad breath, bathroom issues, etc..).

If you follow the slow and steady pattern, you will eventually lose weight. Low carb is a quick fix and can be terribly unhealthy.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Regarding ketosis: in itself, it's not bad, but it's dependent on the level of ketone bodies present in the blood. We all have ketone bodies present in the blood to some degree - the degree varies with other factors including diet, prolonged hunger, suckling (i.e. an infant), diabetic conditions, exercise, fasting...etc. I'm a bit confused as to why there's so much confusion in itself about what it is, how it works, and how it affects the body.

I was going to come in here and give a scientific speech on what it is, how it works, and what it means for the brain, but everyone will just come blasting and disagree with everything I post, regardless of whether it's pulled directly from a biology textbook, so what's the point? If you're concerned about it, do some research on Google. In fact, research the name Dr. Richard Veech for several full-text journal articles. He's basically Grandpa Ketosis.

I'm out of ketosis at about 71/g (total) carbohydrate per day. From there I'm in mild or non-existent ketosis - AKA normal level. Mild-moderate ketosis for me = steady weight loss. Maintenance level means mild to non-existent. My carb intake varies proportionately with desired weight loss rate and my rate of fitness.

And seriously people, unless you're actually testing this personally along with your health stats (i.e. blood sugar, weight, daily Ketostix testing) , don't make sweeping generalizations like "Low carb is bad!" or "you need 130 grams of carbohydrate/day to survive" Realize that the majority who "live low carb" EAT CARBS at some level. They probably also eat a diet higher in fat and with moderate protein. Look at my food diary and WHOA! Lookie there, folks! I EAT CARBS to correspond to my activity level. Sometimes (like yesterday) I have cheat days with an unGodly amount of carbohydrate (220 grams).

Everyone has different needs. Let's leave it there.