what is the difference in overweight vs obese

Options
I checked my bmi on my daughter's wii and today at my current weight it said I am 29.8% overweight.

the times before it said I was 31.9% obese. so my question is what determines the obesity vs over weight factor?

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's based on certain BMI's
    25-29.9 overweight
    >30 obese
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is the relationship between your Ht and Wt. Overweight is considered 10% above the healthy range and obese is 20% above. It's not always a good scale to use, though. As some of the fittest athletes in the world are considered obese. It doesn't take into consideration muscle mass.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know some of the bmi's would consider Arnold Schwarznegger obese. I like to check to see where I am at.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    for the general individual the BMI is fine to use - it tends to tilt when you get to males who have a lot of muscle mass

30+ is considered obese 25-30 overweight. But I mean take it with a grain of salt like everything
  • luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you check your BMI here at MFP (Apps tab -> BMI) it shows you where you are and gives you a scale that shows you what weight range is considered "healthy" for you. But as said above, take it with a grain of salt.