When did you realize you were a (dun dun dun...) runner?

Options
Ok, so I'm not so much a runner as a "jalker" :) My pace is slow at an average of 12-1/2 to 13-1/2 min/mile, and the furthest I've gone without a little bit of a walk is 1-1/2 miles. BUT, I find myself getting dressed to jog in the freaking freezing weather (21 F), and today, with it being mid-fifties and raining out after a week of single-digit temps, I went anyhow! No, I can't say I "like" it. But I can say I seem to "crave" it.

What's your story? When did you start calling yourself a "runner"?

Replies

• mrsoski
    mrsoski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, another jalker!!! Hi! Yeah, I thought I wasn't built for running, but I married a distance runner and I wanted to do stuff with him sooooo... Yeah. I realized I was a "real" runner when I started running in below freezing temps because my legs would get this crawly feeling if I didn't and I hated running on the treadmill.

I might be slow but it's faster than I used to be.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    It's not just a mile, it's a milestone.

Good work! I called myself a runner when I dedicated myself to getting outside and running / run-walking more than a few times a week.
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I realized I was a "real runner" when I ran 9 miles and *forgot* I couldn't breathe :)
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I realized I was a runner in high school, when my crush quit the cross country team, and I didn't!

My mom realized I was a runner when I was being a teenager, and sending me out the door for four or five miles brought back her sweet, smiling daughter, not the creature from the basement

I regularly realize I'm a runner when I come back from a run and that feeling of peace just seeps through me... I just feel better.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When I realized I need a run to de-stress!!!