How can I eat right, while working a 9-5 desk job?

Options

Replies

• tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk 8-5-- I pack all my food and stick to it. I like the structure of this and the weekends are tough for me because of the options. I think as long as you plan your meals you should do fine.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Easy.. I have snacks of almonds, fruit, apples and peanut butter....you name it.

Lunch is different raw veggies with hummus and chicken. We have a fridge in the kitchen. I eat worse when I'm not in the office. When I am on the road for work, I drive by Tim Hortons and really want to go through the drive thru
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Honestly I eat better at work then I do at home, lol! I just have a yogurt and some fruit in the morning, sandwich or soup or something with cottage cheese and veggies for lunch with a small v8, then veggies or crackers and hummus for an afternoon snack. I switch it up here and there but I find if I always have something that I can grab I don't feel the need to go to the vending machine. I haven't purchased anything from the machine other than a V8 for over a year now, you can do it! :bigsmile: Just plan what you will eat before you grocery shop and go from there.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, the key to controling my snacking at work is being prepared, and deciding if my cravings are really worth working off through exercise. I try to bring all of the food I might need during the day so I don't have to buy anything. Becasue if I go out and buy something, it won't be healthy. My snacks include

Fruit
    90 calorie quaker oats granola bars
    light & fit yogurts
    baked cheetos
    baked lays
    mini rice cakes (right now I like the Roundy's cheddar cheese rice crisps)
    pretzel thins
    laughing cow cheese (with pretzels thins)
    hummus (with pretzel thins)
    pretzel thins with fat free sour cream & salsa
    cottage cheese
    Swiss Miss fudge bar (100 calories)
    arnold sandwich thin toasted with hummus
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I plan my eating for the day. I have a mid-morning snack and an afternoon snack ready at hand every day. I eat a good, nutritious lunch. It helps me avoid any hunger cravings that lead me to the vending machine or to any food (sweets) people often bring in. I like to bring in yogurt, nuts, and raisins.

But the biggest factor: Having the willpower and motivation to avoid grabbing a cookie, donut, or slice of cake.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes! It doesn't sound yummy at all, but try the flavored rice cakes. I was iffy about them for a long time, but I got some brown sugar ones that are delish. Also, laughing cow cheese with some low cal, whole grain crackers. Or apples with peanut butter.

Oatmeal is an awesome breakfast, too. I buy the instant stuff, and our coffee machine has the little hot water nozzle.. throw it together in a bowl and enjoy! Having a desk job actually helps me to eat breakfast. I can munch on it while working in the morning.

woah creepy we eat the same thing, I eat 2 cups of Oatmeal and Blueberries for Breakfast, keeps me full for hours. If I run out of food I either have a Banana with Peanut butter, or a Rice cake with Peanut butter, I also buy half the fat PB ... I work at a desk all day, and there are 5 fast food places withing 5 minutes walk from me ... I manage to stay away, I gave up Burgers 2 years ago ... it's a challenge I have with myself, I was eating two bacconators a week! And decided 1 day to nil Burgers all together *yay me*
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I too work in a cube farm and to be very honest...it's pretty easy for me to eat healthy. I make dinner every night which becomes my lunch the next day at work. (baked chicken, jasmine rice, turkey burgers, tuna & turkey sandwiches, etc). As for as snacks go...I eat a lot of bananas, rice cakes (caramel!), oranges, yogurt. And there is ALWAYS something going on in the office which includes very bad "snacks" like cakes, donuts, chicken bites from Chik-Fil-A, etc etc etc. It's mainly about will power and not indulging in said "snacks". Every now and then I'll have a slither of cake...but only a slither. Mainly I stick to fruits, yogurt and nuts.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    i work a desk job from 9 to 5 but I get up a lot and move I work at a university... I eat 5 meals a days breakfast at 7 snack at 9 lunch at 11 snack at 2 or 3 adn dinner about 6... There are days I fight temptation but I do it though. You have to see what you want in the end. Not what you want right now.
  • KARISE
    KARISE Posts: 3
    Options
    YOU REMOVE FOOD FROM YOUR DESK AND YOUR WORKSPACE IF NOT, YOU WILL GRAZE ALL DAY LONG AND NEVER FEEL SATISFIED.

YOU MUST FIRST REMOVE MINDSET OF HABIT OF EATING AT YOUR DESK, YOU ARE MOST LIKELY NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO CALORIES ANYWAYS.

EAT AT SPECIFIC TIMES IN THE PROPER SETTING. NEVER EAT STANDING UP, OUT OF THE JAR, OR IN CAR. EAT IN A NICE SETTING WITH PROPER UTENSILS.

WHEN YOU DO EAT EVERY 3 HOURS, EAT 15-30 CARBS, AND 15-30 PROTEINS AND TRY UNDR 300 CALORIES. EAT AT 645, 945, 1245, 345, AND 645, 945.

WHEN YOU EAT THIS WAY YOU CAN ADD EITHER 1 SERVING OF FAT OR 1 SERVING OF SUGAR, BUT NEVER BOTH. AND SUGAR NEVER AFTER 345.

THE LAST 3 MEALS, DONT EAT HIGH GLYCEMIC FOODS FOR THE CARB (POTATOES. CORN, FRUIT)

645 EX: 1/2 C OATMEAL, (CARB) 1 SCOOP PROTEIN POWDER (25 G PROTEIN, 130 CAL , 2 FAT, 2 SUGAR)
    ADD EITHER FAT OR SUGAR IF U WANT.. ITS BETTER TO DO SUAGR IN THE AM THOUGH
    BLUEBERRIES 1/4 C. (SUGAR)

945 KELLOGS PROTEIN WATER (10 PRO)
    1 WAFFA RYE CRISP WAFER (10 CARBS W FIBER)
    1 OZ CHEESE (FAT)

1245 3 C LETTUCE (SPINACH,CABBAGE,ARUGALA, ROMAINE)--FREEBEE, NOT A CARB OR A FAT OR A PROTEIN
    1/2 CUCUMBER--FREEBEE
    1/2 TOMATOE
    2 CANS TUNA IN WATER DRAINED (50 PROTEIN , 240 CAL, 3 FATS)
    1/8 C RED ONION
    BTWN 60-120 CAL WORTH OF BREAD W FIBER IF U WANT OR A PITA BREAD OR CRACKERS (CARBS) DONT EAT IF UR GOING TO EAT COTTAGE CHEEESE WITH SALAD

I APPLE (SUGAR) BUT DONT EAT THIS APPLE IF UR SALAD DRESSING HAS SUGAR OR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SRYUP

OR MAKE A DRESSING OUT OF FAT FREE COTTAGE CHEESE, A PARMESEAN CHEESE PACKET FROM PIZZA HUT, RED PEPPER PACKET FROM PIZZA HUT, PEPPER, LEMON JUICE, CAYENE

345 PEANUT BUTTER 2 TBSP (FAT)
    1 TOAST W DOUBLE FIBER BREAD OR RYE BREAD

645 SALAD LIKE THE ONE ABOVE BUT NO APPLE

945 PROTEIN POWDER W WATER AND ICE AND 1 OZ DARK CHOC OVER 70% COCOA
  • miss_lene
    miss_lene Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there!

I usually have an instant oatmeal for breakfast so it's a bit heavier. Then I try to snack on something little every two hours. Carrot sticks, fruits, flavoured mini rice cakes, and yes, even popcorn sometimes. Drinking A LOT of water really helps. This makes you go to the bathroom a lot too (ha ha), but it forces you to get up and add in some extra steps to your day. Salads for lunch, and sometimes yogurt for a snack.

I find that I am more disciplined when I'm at work than after work.

Just keep trying to discipline yourself, and it'll get easier as time goes by.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I bring enough food to get me through the day with eating every 2 hours, just limit the size of each. I find it easier to do at a 9-5 than at home on weekends as the day is much more structured.

^^ This. I keep cereal and milk here for breakfast, and bring a morning snack, lunch and mid-afternoon snack with me every day. It doesn't have to be anything complicated - I usually bring a frozen lunch, but you may want to bring dinner leftovers if you're super worried about sodium.

I don't like the idea of "I can't eat right at work". It's no different than eating right at home, or anywhere else. You just need to be well prepared and well informed.
  • KARISE
    Options
    NEVER BRING UR WALLET OR CHANGE TO UR DESK AT WORK- YOU WILL BUY SOMEONE'S KIDS CHOCOLATE FOR SALE OR GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, OR VENDING MACHINES.

NEVER STORE FOOD IN THE MAIN REFRIDEGERATOR- YOU WILL SMELL OTHER PEOPLES FOOD AND SEE VENDING MACHINE N WILL CHEAT- BUY A BAG THAT KEEPS FOOD COLD AND KEEP AT YOUR DESK

EAT ALONE- HOW OFTEN DO U GET ALONE TIME ANYWAYS

EAT OUTSIDE

DONT SMOKE

DRINK A GALLON OF WATER DAILY

FOCUS ON TRYING TO DRINK 1 C OF HERBAL TEA OR GREEN TEA AN HOUR

ONLY KEEP TEA AT DESK/WATER

BRING YOUR OWN TEA CUP AND WATER CUP

DONT EAT COFFEE CREAMER (IT HAS TRANS FAT AND HYDROGENATED OIL):smooched:
  • KARISE
    Options
    NEVER BRING UR WALLET OR CHANGE TO UR DESK AT WORK- YOU WILL BUY SOMEONE'S KIDS CHOCOLATE FOR SALE OR GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, OR VENDING MACHINES.

NEVER STORE FOOD IN THE MAIN REFRIDEGERATOR- YOU WILL SMELL OTHER PEOPLES FOOD AND SEE VENDING MACHINE N WILL CHEAT- BUY A BAG THAT KEEPS FOOD COLD AND KEEP AT YOUR DESK

EAT ALONE- HOW OFTEN DO U GET ALONE TIME ANYWAYS

EAT OUTSIDE

DONT SMOKE

DRINK A GALLON OF WATER DAILY

FOCUS ON TRYING TO DRINK 1 C OF HERBAL TEA OR GREEN TEA AN HOUR

ONLY KEEP TEA AT DESK/WATER

BRING YOUR OWN TEA CUP AND WATER CUP

DONT EAT COFFEE CREAMER (IT HAS TRANS FAT AND HYDROGENATED OIL):smooched:
  • Suzieqgirl
    Suzieqgirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to take some fruit to work with you. Like apples, grapes & bananas. Reach for them instead of the cookie. Also you can keep some kinds of nuts around to snack on. Try to get the roasted & low salted ones to snack on. Try to walk at your lunch break to get your exercise in. I hope this helps.

I have been on my diet a little over two weeks. This logging food has really help me to see just what I am eating and makes me want to get more exercise if I want to lose it faster.
  • hrbal1cs
    hrbal1cs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I started my 8-5 job, I actually GAINED weight. However, once I joined MFP, I learned to portion things out. For example, like most on here, I eat oatmeal for breakfast EVERY morning. I also put milk and cinnamon in it to make it all around balanced. The milk gives you protein and other nutrients, and the cinnamon (At least a 1/4 tsp) helps regulate blood sugar, and keeps your appetite at bay. I also drink about 20 oz of water with this as well.

Now, once I get to work at 8, I'm usually hungry by 10-10:30. That's when I grab a big apple and a stick of string cheese; again, enough protein and fiber (and only around 150 calories to keep me satisfied til lunch).

At lunch, I eat the most. I usually have between 400-550 calories. This is where the bulk of my carbs are. I usually have a big turkey sandwich with whole grain double fiber bread with spicy mustard. I always have yogurt for lunch too (gotta get that 3 servings of dairy) and sometimes I will bring carrots or something else. I'm stuffed until later in the day.

Either about an hour before I leave, I will have another piece of fruit to just stabilize my blood sugar so I don't go crazy at dinner.

Dinner consists of protein and veggies (usually chicken/fish and asparagus/brocolli)

BIGGEST THING: WATER WATER WATER. I keep a liter bottle at my desk, and constantly gulp all day. I fill it up at least 3 times during the day (not to mention drinking one while exercising and one at breakfast). Water is the best thing for you.

Another huge thing; treat yourself once in a while. If someone brings cookies or sweets, allow yourself to have ONE. I will sometimes indulge in a piece of dark chocolate or a cookie. I savor it, drink some more water, and move on with the day.
  • inspiration78
    Options
    I also work a desk job and I have found that planning what I eat has helped me tremendously! I usually bring in a grocery bag full of food on Mondays to set me up for the week. I have a fruit bowl on my desk that I replenish once a week and I have a fridge here that I can keep my food in as well. Additionally, I have protein bars, pouches of tuna and other healthy snacks in one of my drawers so that I can feel like I have some options. Water intake is also really key so I keep a water bottle on my desk that I refill constantly. I also eat frequently throughout the day and I find that when I'm surrounded by food I don't have the urge to eat something unhealthy. We also do "order out fridays" which I do take part in from time to time depending on what the other co-workers choose. I think the bottom line is to be prepared. When you're not, you're more likely to fail. Hope that helps!:flowerforyou:
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As others have said, keep healthy snacks handy!

I have my own little grocery aisle on a bookshelf in me cube! lol I have oatmeal & grit single serve packets, granola bars, slim fast snack bars, low cal soups, 100 cal packs, and fruits in the fridge! My coworkers may make fun of me for being so conscious of what I'm consuming, but I could care less! Since you are unable to be active during the day, it's so important to watch what your eating throughout the day! When I get bored in the cube & feel like I want to eat, I either look at this site, blog about weight loss, or look at success stories. Stay strong & stay busy!!!
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    I have an electric kettle which I use to boil water to make oatmeal (quick, not instant!) in the mornings when I get to work. I mix in a tbs of (natural!) peanut butter and little bit of protein powder. This concoction keeps me stuffed until lunch time. Sometimes to save calories I leave out the pb and add some fresh fruit to the mix instead if I'm planning a higher calorie meal later in the day. I bring the oatmeal/pb/protein powder combo to work everyday in a reuseable container. I cannot be trusted with an entire jar of pb near me at work (plus I don't want to use my coworkers' valuable mini fridge space by keeping a jar of pb in there).

For lunch I usually bring leftovers. If I have no leftovers & there was a good sale on frozen meals, I may bring one of those but I definitely don't think frozen meals are the best idea to eat often. I eat one for lunch maybe twice a month. At most. Anyway, when I bring leftovers I usually don't even bother with a microwave. Today I have meat loaf muffins (recipe adapted from "Cooking Light") and green beans for lunch. I had the meat loaf muffins for dinner last Thursday so those are leftover. The green beans were frozen so I just plopped them in the container with the muffins & added some onion & herb seasoning.

I also require (and I do mean REQUIRE) an afternoon snack. Lately more often than not it has been greek yogurt with some granolaish stuff or fresh fruit mixed in. Sometimes it's homemade yogurt and sometimes it's Oikos, Brown Cow, or Fage (my fav brands for different reasons). Today it's 0% Fage and I have 75g of fresh blueberries to mix in. YUM! Other good snacks are an apple or carrots with pb, a protein bar (check the ingredients, please), and I'm sure I've had many others. The key here is to pack in some protein to keep you going until dinner time.

Excellent excellent info here!!! clap clap :happy:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Gum, gum and more gum! Veggies (sugar peas, sweet peppers, jicama slices), roasted edamame (Seapoint Farms)...

I work 6:30-4. My general meals go like this:

8am: Fage 2% yogurt, with kashi tossed in if I'm really hungry.
    9:30am: apple
    12:30 (or whenever I can get it): lunch...I HAVE to make my own food and bring it in..curries with rice or chicken and whole wheat pasta, stuff like that. And raw veggies on the side.
    3:00: fruit...lately I can't eat enough oranges, they're so yummy.
  • shanacleo
    shanacleo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Can I get a whoot-whoot for all these wonderful ideas!!!!!!!!

I’ve created a shopping list and I’m so excited to hit the grocery store after work :)

I’ve also created a mini-motivation board with all your tips and ideas to help keep the snack monsta away.

With all these tips and choices, my desk chair doesn’t have a fat chance in killing my motivation!