Fruit/Natrual Sugar & Losing Weight

I love fruit. I always have a fuji apple or clementines for a mid morning snack. They are low in calories, which is another reason why I love them too.

When my diary is done for the day, I'm always WAY over my sugar. They seem to be coming from a few sources: Fruit, Organic/Local Honey, Veggies and protein bars. Yes, I do have a skinny cow 100 calorie fudge bar because I can't give up chocolate, so I know it's coming from that too. I make my own salad dressing, and salad "fixins" (peppers, onions, cucumbers, black beans). So I know that a bulk of my sugar is coming from natural sources. I'm working on cutting out as much of the protein bars and sweets as I can, this includes the honey in my salad dressing...

However, I've been reading articles about how eating fruit or natural sugars can actually hurt your goal that same was processed sugars can. I want to reach my goal as fast as I can, so I'm very discouraged. Can anybody shed some light onto this?

Replies

• kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    I'd be interested to find the answer out to this as well
  • Bump.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Fruit sugar is perfectly fine. However you wouldn't want to combine it with fats that can cause a lot of problems with digestion and blood sugar. Honey probably isn't the best source but not the worst. It doesn't contain much fiber so it rushes through your blood stream causing possible spikes. I've lost a lot of weight and so have many people I know from eating a lot of fruit among other things. Keep the fat percentage low and don't be afraid of sugar from fruit.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Fruit sugar is perfectly fine. However you wouldn't want to combine it with fats that can cause a lot of problems with digestion and blood sugar. Honey probably isn't the best source but not the worst. It doesn't contain much fiber so it rushes through your blood stream causing possible spikes. I've lost a lot of weight and so have many people I know from eating a lot of fruit among other things. Keep the fat percentage low and don't be afraid of sugar from fruit.

I'm just curious why you are suggesting minimizing fat intake?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    My feedback is completely anecdotal...but I just put in my sugars to see how much and I am getting on average 90 grams a day when MFP says it should be like 30.

Overall intake is what matters...Unless your goal is "Eat less sugar', then no I don't think it's hurting your goals as long as your overall intake is in line.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    I over everyday too and I've lost 24 pounds so far.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I don't know anyone who got fat by eating too much fruit.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    If ur worried cut back on it. I cut back on my Pomegranet insanity.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Personally, I don't stress plant sugars or plant fats.
  • kozmotrouble
    kozmotrouble Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know anyone who got fat by eating too much fruit.
    This made me giggle!

I LOVE fruit and I have always had the same issue, too much sugar intake. According to Shape magazine "Excessive amounts could lead to tooth decay, weight gain, and increased triglyceride levels (which may contribute to heart disease and high cholesterol). Some studies suggest fructose, the main type of sugar found in fruit, can even be more harmful than other sugars (namely, glucose). Fructose has even been linked to increased belly fat, slowed metabolism, and overall weight gain...

...Traditionally, a diet high in fruits and vegetables has been shown to help prevent weight gain (when compared to a diet high in fiber from other foods). Although fruits can hold three times more calories per serving when compared to vegetables, they’re still a relatively low-calorie choice, especially when considering how good fruit’s high water and fiber content are at promoting feelings of fullness.

I would recommend eating fruit that is low in sugar such as strawberries and blackberries. Here is a graph that shows how much sugar is in a few popular fruits.

http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com/files/u40/sugar_fruit_graph.jpg

Good luck!