How far would you drive to go to the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Our tiny town(500) just opened a "wellness center". I live in the country but this is on my way home and on the weekend only 1.5 into town. And it is $15 a month. I have no excuse not to go.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I drive 25 minutes to get to my gym, but I do. It's two hours out of my day four times a week, but I love the workout. I quit the gym (which is a traditional gym, my place is a studio that offers one type of class) 10 minutes from my house. The miles on my car are racking up but I've never been in better shape:)
  • likeA_boss
    likeA_boss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    my gym takes me about 10-12 minutes to get there;

so I make sure everytime I go its damn worth the drive!
    & so far it has been! [: Don't let that be another excuse, make it into a motivator!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mine is about a 8-10 minute drive depending on traffic! So worth it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    My favorite gym is about 20 minutes away from my home and work. And the other gyms I frequent are either close to my work or home, like 3-5 miles. I don't mind the 20 minutes because it's a pilates/yoga/ketllebell facility so totally worth it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My gym had two locations about 6-8 miles from home, but with traffic, it typically took 20-30 minutes to get there. After about a year and a half, I quit the gym and bought weights for home. My treadmill is now the great outdoors, and as much as I feared running in sucktacular weather, it's not so bad.

And besides... running for about a year, in only nice weather and inside when it wasn't so nice, I still got cold induced asthma. Running the last 6 months or so in all kinds of weather, including rain, sleet, snow, heat, cold, etc... I don't have any lung issues at all anymore. And I feel like a badass. :smile:
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm usually stuck to 24/7 gyms because of my work hours, but I just need to weigh my options. Does anyone work out before work?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    No more than 15 minutes.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is the absolute max I'd travel to/from home or work.

With gyms, I was most successful with adherence when it was literally 5 minutes from my place of work AND directly on my route home. Loved that. Would just bang out a workout & shower there if I was going out straight after, or go home in the sweats, whatever.

Gone back to a gym, in the home range. Worth it? Yes, but only because I now need more variety (independent of load) than I can generate for myself at home.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    I drive 40 minutes one way to the gym 5x/wk. I don't care the distance, I need it.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    I'm usually stuck to 24/7 gyms because of my work hours, but I just need to weigh my options. Does anyone work out before work?

I do. I work out 9:30-11:30am and work 1:30-9:30pm
  • heatherselway
    Options
    The good thing about the military is, all gyms on base are free! All ya got to do is bring your ID card. :) But I workout outside regardless of temperature.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym about 20 mins away, but that was because I lived in the country and it was near a shopping center in town where I had to go a few times a week anyway.

Another gym, same thing. It was between home and work.

Now my gym is less than a mile away and it's awesome. Probably gonna move back to the sticks sooner than later though. But by now I'm more than used to driving 10+ miles to get ANYWHERE, so whatever. I just wouldn't want to go to a gym far OUT of the way of anything that I need to do.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Both locations of my gym nearest to me have huge issues with parking. Yesterday at one of them, I saw cars lined up 10 or 12 deep (on to the "highway") just to get into the parking lot!

So, I go to the one that is about 20 mins skytrain/walk away.