What foods help you stay on track?

Options
I recently discovered Icelandic yogurt (skyr). High in protein, low in sugar, and fat free - it's my new super food. I can't believe I never knew about it until now. It made me think, "what other super foods have I been missing out on? I thought I'd see what I could find here.

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash. It gave me back all those Italian recipes that called for pasta back. I freakin' loved spaghetti, so it's nice to have something like it. Heck, I like the way the squash tastes more than I ever did the pasta version.
  • Ampedette
    Ampedette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like protein bars, especially in the morning. They keep me full for a long time AND quench my chocolate cravings. Just make sure it isn't too high in sugar as some can be very deceiving.
  • katolack
    Options
    Yes! Spaghetti squash is amazing!
  • Bells89
    Bells89 Posts: 19
    Options
    Boiled eggs!! My superfood number one no doubt. 78 calories for one large and they keep you full for a long time. I eat at least 2 a day, either for breakfast or for lunch when I drink a smoothie for breakfast. Natural, low calorie and filled with protein.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    small amounts of really good dark chocolate, cheese sticks and feta are things I just LOVE that I can have.

ETA: I've found all three go a long way in satisfying cravings for certain things, especially feta. One tablespoon on a salad is like a whole new salad. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    water and I second the hard boilded eggs
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and bananas. YUM and holds me over while I'm craving sweets.
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    Frozen berries have become my chocolate ... if that makes sense...they are my ultimate treat with low fat, low sugar yogurt...100 cals the whole lot...yummmmmmmm
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I work at home, so for lunch nearly every weekday for months I have had the same thing---zucchini, yellow squash, tomato, all stir fried in a tiny bit of cooking spray, and Schwan's oven roasted chicken bites, cut into tiny pieces so I get chicken in each bite, and some seasoning. Makes a huge bowl (huge by my standards anyway) and fills me up with less than 200 calories.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Avocados and dates. Love them.
    Avocados because they taste great, are creamy and can be done so many ways.

Dates for an incredible sweet snack.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast
    Grapes
    water
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and bananas. YUM and holds me over while I'm craving sweets.

I eat sweet potatoes twice a day. I can't get enough of them!
  • MelissaG915
    MelissaG915 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was a big potato chip eater, so baked kale chips and pork rinds were my substitute snacks, along with pea pods and carrots.

granny smith apples
    reduced fat hard salami
  • dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    Protein bars
    Granola bars
    Yogurt (Yoplait has some really yummy light ones)
    Bananas
    Cucumbers and cottage cheese (I like to eat them together)
    Frozen yogurt (when I'm craving something sweet)
    Lemon water (especially hot lemon water)
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Raw Almonds
    Egg Whites
    Oatmeal
    Protein Powder
    Peanut Butter
    Plain Rice Cakes
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds
    kefir
    apple
    peanut butter
    slimfast protein low carb shake
  • hww51
    hww51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits, in small portions, namely figs, prunes and dates. Actually, I've read that dates are as close as it gets to being the perfect food - lots of nutrients, fibre, and one or two medjool dates are sweet enough to provide me with a sugar fix instead of reaching for candy.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight, stir-frys became a big mainstay of my diet. I always used rice noodles (I'm a starch person) but I would load the skillet up with fresh veggies and protein (chicken, shrimp, beef), some homemade stir-fry sauce, and a smattering of slivered or ground nuts. It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish including prep time (I've timed it), but the meal was always satisfying and super-delicious.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I'm a fast food junkie and the question was, "What saves you?" For me, Lean cuisine spring rolls. Super delish...hot and crunchy with just enough grease to satisfy my desire to hit up a drive thru. Then special K fiber plus protein bars. Very filling and they taste like a candy bar. Coffee with a splash of milk.
  • PJClay57
    Options
    Wheat germ! I put it into my morning shake, add it to yogurt, or sprinkle it on veggies, etc. It keeps me full and not craving sweets!