Anyone struggle with alcohol?

Options
It was a pretty linear path to my weight gain. I was fit and healthy until two years after college started, when I went off the proverbial deep end. I started partying at the bars, swigging beer, then added drugs to the mix. I gained a lot of weight, then lost a lot very quickly due to certain substances. After I managed to kick that, I replaced it with what I thought at the time was a 'better' alternative - more booze.

It's been a long hard road starting with a DUI and a night in jail, but I've managed to reduce what used to be 12-15 beers every night to what is now more like 2-3 nights of purposefully limited quantities. Where in times in the recent past I would have a large bottle of vodka at the house, now if I decide to have any at all, I buy something very small and when it's gone, it's gone.

I feel like I've likely wrecked my metabolism, as after I lost the initial 60+ pounds of the last year, I've stalled out 15ish pounds up and down around 200. Alcohol is still what my brain turns to when I'm stressed out, or upset, and it's a struggle to ignore the impulse. I've tried replacing it with exercise, but am not always successful. I've also tried groups, like Al-Anon, but that is not for me.

I feel like I'm stuck in an endless loop tied into guilt, depression, alcohol, and back again. I could use some friends who have been there, are there, and would like similar support, if you're out there.

Any tips on getting the metabolism back in order would also be appreciated.

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I've had a brother struggle with similar. hang in there & keep fighting!!

if you struggle with addiction cutting back is not an answer. Eliminate it completely and things become much simpler.

Perhaps something like smart recovery would be more to your liking than AA
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what alcohol does to your metabolism, but I know what it does to a persons life, when it is beyond "normal" usage. Without any judgement, I would highly suggest a 12 step program to deal with what you have admitted to be a problem (I would think a DUI and jail is a wake up call). I would be happy to discuss with you privately about it. I can tell you what I know to be true from my experiences. There is such a thing as transferring addictions, whether food, drugs, gambling, sex or alcohol and until you deal with the core issues, you will struggle. Al-Anon is for people who are friends/relatives of alcoholics, not the alcoholics themselves.
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    While I understand that addictions cannot be over-come without dealing with the core issues, it sure is hard to do when you have no insurance or access to mental health services because you make too much money to qualify for the economic hardship services. Seems like all I have is willpower, and it seems like willpower is the devil itself.
  • ilyahna
    Options
    bump
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I sent ya a Private message....
  • cerezaruth
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and the struggles you've gone through and are going through. Life can be so hard sometimes. Good job on wanting to change and improve your life. Are you open to seeking God's answers to your problems? I'm a missionary living in Mexico and just happened to read your comments. I've never used a message board and almost didn't write this, but felt like I should. I would like to try and help you. Think about it...truly think about it.... and let me know what you think. There is a whole different world out there, one full of hope, if you want to hear about it.
  • 62texan
    62texan Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been a member of Al-Anon for several years since I have several family members who struggle with addiction. 12 step groups are all different, so sometimes it takes awhile to find the right group for you. They are also free. You can search online for meeting times for groups where you live.

I applaud your courage for reaching out here. As mentioned. AA is for alcoholics and Al-Anon is for friends and family members of alcoholics. Many people are members of both groups since alcoholism is a family disease with a genetic component. In fact, I have never met an alcoholic who doesn't have family members who suffer from the disease.

I wish you peace in your journey to healing.
  • ilyahna
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys. It helps.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yep everyday but last drop consumed was in 1980.
    My decision was easier to give up than cut down with my addictive personality.
    Hope you reach your own decision