Goal - Food - Exercise - Net?

Options
Question(s)....
Today I have a goal of 1700 calories, eaten 1044 calories in food, burned 1010 calories at the gym, have a NET of 34, and 1666 remaining. Maybe this is simple math but what is the net 34 mean? When I finished my logging for the day it told me that I would drop alot of weight in 5 weeks if everyday were like today but that I needed to eat more. Do I pay attention to my calorie goal? If so then why is there 1666 calories remaining because I sure do not want to eat enough to make that go to zero.
Thanks ;)

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    pretty much it means the same as if you didnt exercise and only ate 34 calories
  • photodiva2012
    photodiva2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Such a challenge but anxious to lose 40 lbs by July 10th my 40 th BDAY!
  • lovingmommy_of1
    lovingmommy_of1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hmm good luck!
  • raynavee
    Options
    Says you didn't eat enough, because you didn't consume over 1200 calories. If you have your exercise calories figured into your calorie goals already (meaning your activity level) you don't need to eat your calories back from exercise. If you have your AL set to sedentary, you should eat them back. But not all of them, because mfp greatly overestimates calories burned. Net just means the amount of calories you've put into your body that wasn't expended... just like if you would have ate 34 calories and sat on your *kitten* all day.
  • lovingmommy_of1
    lovingmommy_of1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ^ok so I can pretty much disregard the net amount. Now, I decided on my calorie goal to be 1700 just because it had made sense for the shape of my body and activity level. What Im not sure about is the eating the exercised calories back. Isnt the point to burn more calories than you eat?
  • raynavee
    Options
    They only recommend eating 15-20% under your TDEE, which includes the amount you exercise. Just so you don't deprive your body. You need the fuel.
  • jfarnden
    Options
    If you dont like mfp's exercise logging you could split the difference and log food here and track exercise by something like fitocracy. I dont log exercise on here but i keep a record and i make sure i eat a bit over my goal on my exercise days normally, or at least right up to it.
  • jfarnden
    Options
    If you want more info there's a really long explanation in one of the recommended threads with all the theory.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo