Greek yogurt vs others

Options
jmkmomm
jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
I thought Greek yogurt was supposed to be something wonderful. I had always bought cheaper brands. So I bought a four pack of Dannon fit and light strawberry yogurt and I'm going to have to find some one to give the other 3 to. I just can't take the texture or how thick it is or something.

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    try fage, its the best one I've found
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I don't like greek yogurt either and I've tried several kinds. My fav is either dannon light and fit vanilla or any flavor of yoplait light :)
  • ldonahue74
    ldonahue74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i went through the same situation. i was totally convinced i was eating a glue stick LOL. the kids enjoyed it though
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hated greek yogurt until i got the yoplait one, get a 100 calorie pack of that and give it a try (:
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hi jnmkmom... yeah its thicker and you have to acquire a taste for it.. I love it now and regular yogurt tastes watery. Greek yogurt does have more protein..
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    If you want thick yogurt, Siggi's is pretty good. But it's not Greek style -- it's Icelandic style.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    it is definitely something different for your taste buds and hard to get used to at first, but the nutritional value is so worth it.
    especially the plain nonfat flavors - you can add your own sweetener (I use stevia) or protein powder or fruit to liven it up without the added sugar crap they throw in with the flavored kinds.

but if you find something you like, just be mindful of the ingredients.
    :)
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    chobani is da bomb!
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Didn't like the Dannon one either. Tasted chalky to me. The Fage and Chobani brands are the best IMHO.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There are crazy differences in the greek yogurts and many of the big name brands are only echoes of greek yogurt. As someone else said, try Fage.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I stay with the 'regular' yogurt - less fat than the Greek. I too do not care for the texture.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    You have to get used to it. At first I didn't like it, but now I love it. I can't go back to regular, to watery and sugary.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Chobani is delish! I like the Vanilla, and I add a little bit of cinnamon to it. Yum!!
  • 3tmom3t
    3tmom3t Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I prefer Greek yogurt. I like the thicker texture and the tangy taste. I did try a Cafe Au Lait flavor yesterday that I could not tolerate however. It tasted spoiled. I recommend you try some different brands.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Huh.... I hate the runny texture of regular yogurt - that's why I like the greek style.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ilike Oikos organic greek yogurt 0% but I like Fage as well. I like the thickness of Greek yogurt...I put in my smoothies for breakfast.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    I stay with the 'regular' yogurt - less fat than the Greek. I too do not care for the texture.

Fage 0% has 0% fat. Add some blueberries or bananas and 1 packet of truvia....best snack you can have!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

FYI, they make fat free greek.

Anyway to the OP, make sure you get the good stuff, not the crap like yoplait that's thickened with corn starch.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    try Yopa! it has granola for some an there's even a vanilla with almonds. I think it tastes the best. Oikos Key Lime is what got me hooked.

I eat it because it has more nutritional value than the other yogurts. Mainly the protein.

I used to not care for it but it grows on you....just keep trying different brands.
  • kludwig87
    kludwig87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wasn't totally head over heels for it the first time I tried it, but it grew on me. I think the fact that it will fill me up pretty good compared to normal yogurt is the selling point for me. Plus, Aldi's has them pretty cheap in a variety of flavors so I stay stocked up on them.