HRM help?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sears is having a sale on the polar ft4, I just bought one for my mother for $44.99
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7--bought it off amazon for $64. Plus you can replace the batteries yourself. Tracks workouts, chest strap, cals burned, etc. I've had mine since July, use it 5-6 times a week, haven't had any issues at all!
  • km5dx
    km5dx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been using Polar HRMs for more than 6 years... no complaints...

If you workout with other people (with HRMs) be sure to get one with a "coded" chest strap. Otherwise you will pick up everyones pulse too (I have a Nike before the Polar and it was useless unless I was alone). The soft chest straps are much more comfortable but they also add some additional cost.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4!
  • cchef1
    cchef1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft60 and love it. I chose this one because of all the features and once the battery dies it takes a basic watch battery that i can buy at the store and change myself (vs sending it to polar which could run you $50+ ). good luck
  • wvgirlnfl
    Options
    I have a Polar and I took it to the local jewelry store to have the battery changed.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with one poster who recommended http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com as the place to look.

I would definately have chest strap for my HRM.

The advantage of the Polar brand is it is compatible with most treadmills.

Another way of doing it is to add a digifit bundle (http://www.digifit.com/Bundle/Cardio-Bundle.asp) to your smart phone. (the main site is digifit.com (check out the shop section)
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    NOW.....my current issue with my Polar F4, is that the batteries have run low. I have tried to find new ones, but no stores carry the batteries i need. I could send it off, but im not doing that. I want something i can go to the store and get replacement parts. (batteries) So what I'm going to ask to the rest of the MFP family is this....... What type of HRM is out there, that people have used, that they love, that you can go to the store and get replacement batteries for?

Same problem - Home Depot actually had both correct sizes for the strap and watch units. Single battery sizes by Energizer, not the no-name brand from Walmart. I hate buying 2 and losing track by the time I need it.
    The FT4 and FT7 wrist units both take a CR1632 battery and the transmitter takes a CR2025. You should be able to pick those up pretty much anywhere (discount store, drug store, etc.), but if you have a hard time finding them, try Radio Shack. Or you could order them online (Amazon carries them) and just keep an extra set on-hand.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    NOW.....my current issue with my Polar F4, is that the batteries have run low. I have tried to find new ones, but no stores carry the batteries i need. I could send it off, but im not doing that. I want something i can go to the store and get replacement parts. (batteries) So what I'm going to ask to the rest of the MFP family is this....... What type of HRM is out there, that people have used, that they love, that you can go to the store and get replacement batteries for?

Same problem - Home Depot actually had both correct sizes for the strap and watch units. Single battery sizes by Energizer, not the no-name brand from Walmart. I hate buying 2 and losing track by the time I need it.
    The FT4 and FT7 wrist units both take a CR1632 battery and the transmitter takes a CR2025. You should be able to pick those up pretty much anywhere (discount store, drug store, etc.), but if you have a hard time finding them, try Radio Shack. Or you could order them online (Amazon carries them) and just keep an extra set on-hand.

Every one out of the 2025, no one seemed to carry the 1632. 2 Walmorts, 2 drugstores, 2 Radio Shacks. Couple of those said they normally had the 1632, but not used much, so they admitted they didn't order more until gone.

Perhaps right before Christmas was not the best time to have battery die and try to find one.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had polar brand for 6 years. My first one lasted 4 years and now this one I have had 2 years. I love wearing it to the gym to help me gauge calories burned and to help mentally push myself. I had one friend at the gym who had a garmin gps watch and that is good for running not any fitness classes. Another friend had a fit bit but was tired of sinking it with the computer to get her calories burned after being at the gym. They both now have a polar. Good luck!
  • cbungard1
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the help! I have been wanting one for a while and I couldn't pass up the $44.99 deal. I will pick it up tomorrow. Makes me even more excited about going to the gym tomorrow! ;)
  • j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    Ft4 or ft7... I don't know which one to buy
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My battery hasn't died yet, but I know a local watch/clock repairman that will change them for $8.00.. That is something you could look into before you buy one.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ft4 or ft7... I don't know which one to buy

I think the FT7 is the next one up from the FT4 but do correct me members if I am wrong
  • j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    I would have to agree by the difference in price, but don't want to miss out if there's something much better in the ft7. Thank you so much! :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    I also just ordered this, $45 for a polar ft4, normally $90
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree by the difference in price, but don't want to miss out if there's something much better in the ft7. Thank you so much! :)
    Primary differences between the FT4 and FT7 are that the FT7 stores more workouts in its memory (99 instead of 10, I believe), and the FT7 can have its data read and uploaded to some website, though that requires an additional hardware component that you have to buy.

Same transmitter. Same logic inside.

If you're going to log the data from the device (e.g., in MFP) after each workout, paying extra for the FT7 isn't really necessary.

I bought the FT7 just in case I wanted to use the data transfer feature in the future, but I don't think I ever will.