Protein Powder and Creatine in your diet

Options
Hey everyone! I've been on MFP for about a month or so now and have tailored my diet to my current exercise/lifestyle. However, I've noticed that my protein intake is always way too low, this concerns me as I lift weights regularly and am getting quite a few of my calories from carbs. As a result, I went out and bought some protein powder and Creatine to assist in lifting and hopefully help me to satisfy my protein macros. My question is, is it safe and/or healthy to have a significant amount of the protein in my diet come from protein powder? I'm mostly doing it out of convenience, as I don't want to eat tuna and chicken breasts all day everyday lol.

Also, does Creatine have any dietary effects? All I've heard is that you need to make sure to drink plenty of water while taking it. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Replies

• kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I use whey protein powder too! I have for months, and haven't really noticed any negative side effects. I sometimes break my protein shakes up during the day, so i have one in the morning and one after working out so my body isn't getting 40-45g of protein at one time.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've been on MFP for about a month or so now and have tailored my diet to my current exercise/lifestyle. However, I've noticed that my protein intake is always way too low, this concerns me as I lift weights regularly and am getting quite a few of my calories from carbs. As a result, I went out and bought some protein powder and Creatine to assist in lifting and hopefully help me to satisfy my protein macros. My question is, is it safe and/or healthy to have a significant amount of the protein in my diet come from protein powder? I'm mostly doing it out of convenience, as I don't want to eat tuna and chicken breasts all day everyday lol.

Also, does Creatine have any dietary effects? All I've heard is that you need to make sure to drink plenty of water while taking it. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Yes you need to drink extra water while taking Creatine and so far no negative effects have been found.
    It basically increases the water retention in your muscles.
    However why do you need to take Creatine as it only gives you a slight boost in performance while lifting weights but adds in a good few pounds of water weight to your body.

If you are deficit in your Protein requirements then taking powder is a easy way to fill the gap but probably more expensive than purchasing other high protein foods, Steak, Pork and Turkey etc.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    1.) Do not fear carbs
    2.) Try for mostly whole food, but if it is a choice between a protein shake and nothing drink the shake.
    3.) You should a lot of water anyway
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes good for access and can make it easier to hit your protein goals without going over your calories.
    Your body won't know the difference but some powders make sure your digestive system know!

Creatine is meant to help you keep more of your muscle mass while you lose weight. For some people that helps but to me It makes me retain too much water even after drinking bottle after bottle I look puffy. But once you stop having it that would go if you're affected by it like that. Personal preference.
  • cmadge3254
    cmadge3254 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is safe and okay to obtain your protein from powders. Just be a good consumer on the type of protein powder you are using. You want a protein powder free of fillers and unnecessary ingredients.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add here, except that you should do your supplement shopping online, it's much cheaper.
  • leftybadeye
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the help everyone!