Any success stories of 50 pounds?

Options

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've lost 56lbs so far. It took me about 6 months to lose the 50 and that's including the holidays giving me a couple week plateau. I follow my calorie limit and exercise when the weather is nice outside by biking, walking, or jogging. I set MFP to "lose 2lbs a week" and try to get within 50 cal of my goal on either side. When I do exercise or move a lot for the day, I eat all my exercise calories back. I'd say most of my weight loss is probably from the lower calorie amount.

Everyone's body is going to be different, so do what feels right for you. My husband is losing a lot quicker than normal, both because he used to eat a lot more than he should have, and also because his metabolism is super high from when he used to work a physically intensive job. He set MFP to "lose 2lbs a week" and was losing twice as much for a while. It's best to listen to your body and follow a healthy plan. MFP and other sites will give you formulas, but it's good to do some real research and tweak for your own needs.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Pics in my profile. I've lost 55lbs since 2009. Slow process, but that's what worked for me. The first 40lbs was without MFP (and with an undiagnosed thyroid condition). I've got a little more weight left to lose (5-10lbs).

Consistency over the long term will get you there. I have plenty of "bad" days, weeks, months. But, I always get back to a reasonable calorie deficit and regular exercise (5-6 days a week for me). It works. Stay focused, trust in the process, and have patience. It doesn't matter how long it takes, just as long as you always continue towards your goal.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 180, My lowest weight was 128. Just got over my off season bulk phase, and added 15lbs. Now back into onseason, I'm back down to 140, and hope to stay around 130-135 for competition. :D

Weightlossprogresscopy-1-1.jpg

flexfridayprogressedit_zps93f746ef.jpg

I started with only running, and did a lot of it. Lost about 25lbs, hit a plateau. Started weight training (and kept running), and the weight FELL OFF! I then fell in love with lifting, now I do it 5-6 days a week!

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    instagram @graphicsquib
  • tentaclegirl
    tentaclegirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    my SW is 180 and I just started my weight loss a couple of weeks ago. Do you think its plausible to loose 50 lbs in 6 months? I'd like to hit my goal by summer and wear cute clothes and go swimming. Do you guys think I'm being realistic?
  • kmjohn64
    kmjohn64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    January last year, I weighed 220 pounds. Over the past year, I have struggled a lot and plateaued too many times to count. This October I decided that I was going to hit the gym like crazy and track my calories non-stop. I finally got into my healthy BMI and I weigh 163 pounds today. It's an amazing feeling.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    wow! i cant believe the transformation! your abs look so amazing! i want i want! lol! very inspiring! thanks for the progression photos..........as you get thinner, your smile gets brighter!
  • MissBum
    MissBum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your stories are all incredible! I hope I can get to my goal as fast as some of you have! Truly inspiring =)
  • kbucher2288
    Options
    From January 2009 to June of 2009 I lost 70lbs from 235 to 165 with no pills, surgery, medical help, steroids, or anything. I changed my diet and started exercising from a sedentary lifestyle and am now 170lbs and 10.5% bodyfat
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    here's mine! sorry for undies!
    tumblr_mctqecISZ91rhnb7zo1_r1_500.jpg

it took me around 7 months of very careful eating and cardio/strength training at the gym about 3-4 days a week. i still have a ways to go as you can see, but yay 50 down!

my biggest tip is to drink a ton of water and have a high protein intake. the days i had a bunch of protein, i saw way more progress.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    <-- Latest progress pic.

42 lbs has taken me 33 weeks. I am 39 years old, so NOT as quick and easy as it used to be!

I typically aim to NET 1350-1600 and work out for an hour, 6-7 days/week. I go to a HIIT bootcamp, Zumba, run stairs, and do running intervals on the treadmill.

I also try to eat super clean- real food, frrsh veggies, whole grains, few preservatives. I use a food scale. I still eat the things I love and cut myself some slack. If I want a burger and fries- I eat a burger fries. Period. But am fairly regimented 90% of the time and those cravings are few and far between these days 8 months into this process. Consistancy is key.

I feel better than I have in years.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Does anyone have success stories of losing 50 pounds?, and how long did it take? Any tips? :) Thanks

I've lost over 50 lbs since the end of July last year.

Tips? I use a food scale and weigh everything to keep good track of what I am eating, plus regular exercise.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    LOVE reading everyone's stories. I hope to be a success story by the end of the year! -50
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    My highest weight was 180, My lowest weight was 128. Just got over my off season bulk phase, and added 15lbs. Now back into onseason, I'm back down to 140, and hope to stay around 130-135 for competition. :D

Weightlossprogresscopy-1-1.jpg

flexfridayprogressedit_zps93f746ef.jpg

I started with only running, and did a lot of it. Lost about 25lbs, hit a plateau. Started weight training (and kept running), and the weight FELL OFF! I then fell in love with lifting, now I do it 5-6 days a week!

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    instagram @graphicsquib

I read your bio and I think you are AWESOME!! Great progress.....love the pics :flowerforyou:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    ry%3D400

Me from Feb 1st last year to Current. Lost 136 in 1 year due to:

Walking regularly, increasing distance and pace gradually.

Finding a dietitian who answered every inane question I asked, even if I repeated myself, with patience, kindness, and genuine thoughtfulness behind her responses. She believed in me long before I did.

Eating better - cleaner, in moderation, using a food scale, cooking my own "snacks" and breads. Depriving myself of fun" stuff like eating out, alcohol, desserts would not and will not work for me. I CAN, just not every day :drinker:

Being. Patient. when things seem to stall, biting my teeth and grinding through it anyway. It was working up to that point, it will work again. I am more stubborn than my body fat is :wink:

ETA:
    It HUGELY helped discovering this site to log every scrap of food that went in my mouth, to get encouragement and frowny faces from those folks on my MFP buddy list, for the good and bad moments. Finding out what actual portions were, how many calories I was consuming, and how other people balanced THEIR food intake and exercise helped ME figure myself out.

Having friends to share the journey with makes it less intimidating!:flowerforyou:

Also ETA:
    Went from a borderline 5Xpants, 4x tops to an XL in both (though I am dangerously close to needing L tops!:noway: )
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was at 272 (and 5'3" tall) when shopping for a dress on July 20, 2012. It was a horrifying experience. I joined MFP, began recording my food almost without any exceptions, and began going to water aerobics and/or Curves and/or Zumba 2-4 times per week. So far I am down 56 pounds and a couple of shirt/pant sizes. Plus I can climb stairs without stopping and fit into airplane seats much more comfortably. So it definitely can be done. But ask me next year how well I did getting the remaining 80 pounds off. I am trying to think of myself as someone who has been liberated from habits that were unpleasant and dangerous, which is how I finally quit smoking a number of years ago.
  • vreleford
    Options
    Amazing and encouraging stories! Can't wait to add my to the list!
  • ashmorgstraws
    Options
    I lost 53 lbs so far and have about 29-34 more to go depending. The 53 has taken me since September - so about 4 months. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Started my journey in September of 2009 after seeing some vacation pics of myself @ 350lbs. Got down to the 320 range over the next year-year and a half and maintained there. Started lifting weights and some cardio, but no dietary changes. January of this year my primary care doctor had to take me off my cholesterol medication because a) my cholesterol was going up anyways despite the medication and b) my liver enzymes were starting to elevate. I never got to know my grandfather because he died of a massive heart attack at the age of 50 due to undiagnosed high cholesterol and my dad has been on cholesterol medications for the better part of the last 40 years. I was bound and determined not to follow suit. I found MFP in the beginning of this year. Started logging every single thing that passed my lips. Two days after starting on here I quit smoking using Allen Carr's book. Just about 4 months into the journey and have dropped 54 pounds, 13 more until first goal weight of 250#. I am six feet tall and my ultimate goal is about 225# and ripped. Recheck on cholesterol numbers in 1 month and doctor has not seen me since he gave me the last lab results...I am looking forward to it.
  • sanvanhaaften
    sanvanhaaften Posts: 118
    Options
    Bump !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!