I have a hard time doing push ups

Options
I don't know what to do, my wrist hurt when I try to do push ups? Any tip

Replies

• xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, improve your wrist flexibility, start small, keep your knees on the ground or lean against a wall and do push ups and work your way down to the ground after your flexibility increases.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Practice is the only way to get better at it. I can barely go halfway down on a kneeling pushup, but I used to get sick at the mere thought of a pushup. Baby steps!
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Yeah, I still have to do "knee pushups"..they arn't bad at all..but as soon as I try to do a "normal" pushup I feel like dieing lol. Guess it just takes practice
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. I still have a hard time doing them but I am getting there.
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    if your wrists hurt, try push-up bars... or even dumbbells. helps avoid wrist strain :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to do, my wrist hurt when I try to do push ups? Any tip

either push up bars or dumbells with a flat bottom (so they won't roll) can really help with the wrists.
  • Melave3
    Melave3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A good way to practice if you have a ball is to use the ball for support under your abdomen. That is the only way that I can do them right now, and as you build your strength, you can gradually move to a more standard position for doing them! Best of luck!
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Start bench pressing a simple bar with no weights (if you happen to have a gym membership). A bench bar weighs 45 pounds. As your wrists/arms/chest gets stronger you can start adding more weight. I know I used to be TERRIBLE at push ups and didn't even attempt to do one for a long long time. After some time lifting weights I was shocked at how effortless they were when I tried again.
    If none of this is feasible....just drop your knees and do them that way
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Of course you have a hard time with push ups. push ups are hard. I can bench a lot of weight, but if I'm not practicing push ups they are difficult. Just keep practicing you will get better your wrist will get more flexible and it will get easier. don't feel bad because they are hard for everyone when they start out
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One of my wrists hurts too when I do push-ups. So I do them on my knuckles instead (on carpeting, not a hard floor). It helps.
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have really bad wrist pain as well. I do pushups from my knees and even after just 5 of them my wrist will start hurting. I just make sure I keep my hands on a VERY padded surface and once it starts hurting I stretch my wrist a lot. (I seriously spend at least 10 mins everyday stretching just my wrist, I type all day and all my hobbies are hard on my wrists as well)

I had tried doing pushups with dumb bells before and that seriously hurt my wrist a million times worse than just doing them on the floor.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Just a tip for those trying to transition from knee to full push ups, try doing a full one with your feet a bit further apart, it helped me a lot at the point
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have been started to doing them against the wall. It don't hurt my wrist and when that starts getting easy I will go down to a lower object and keep going lower until I'm on the floor.
    Hope this will help.