Exercise routine help/advice.

Options
So I came up with a "routine" that I do in 30 minutes. Its 3 laps around my house, I run one of those 3 bc Im not fit enough to do them all running yet, then I do 20 jumping jacks, 20 lunges, 30 squats, 30 butt kickers, 30 high knees, 20 side lunges, 20 standing ab things, 10 Mountain climbers and pushups. I repeat it three time then run a lap and walk two around my house and stretch. Does this sound good or no? I was doing two laps between each "circuit" (I guess that's what I would call it) but I changed it. I can't afford a gym. I plan on eventually getting some weights but I can't afford it right now. However I do have 1 lb weights to walk with I also use them when I do my side lunges and squats. I've lost an inch from my bust (I lose here first) and a half an inch or so from my belly I can see my muffin top smoothing out. But anyway myfitnesspal says I only burn calories when I'm doing cardio not during my squats and other stuff? I don't eat my exercise calories I put my calories up bc I know I can eat over 1200 calories and be okay. Anyway back on topic sorry does this routine sound alright for a begginer? I mean Ive seen some results but myfitnesspal is telling me different, I don't usually log my exercises.

Replies

• jacordell3
    Options
    Sounds like your starting off great!!! Just remember the key in burning calories is keeping you heart rate in the "fat burn" rate, depending on your age and weight somewhere between 110 and 155. It sounds like you are doing a modified "crossfit" keeping your HR up and doing some strength training. Although you may not be seeing the immediate change you would like, keep it up remember the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. My only suggestion is changing it up some keep your muscles guessing a little! Google crossfit find some variations you can do for your level. Good Luck!
  • Charmainedelaney
    Charmainedelaney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well done on starting strong!. I would suggest you look around for a second hand heart monitor & watch, this will tell you how many calories you are burning (I live by mine). Each week look at increasing the cardio (running) & before you know it you will be running the whole way. I use lamp posts to measure my running, I started running every third one, then went to running two & walking one & then to running three, walking one. Our bodys do get used to the exercise we do, so jaming it up is also the key.
    Keep us the great work, it all takes time so enjoy the journey :)
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great start! You could add stairs too if you have them in your house. Go up and down them 5 times... then 7 ... then 10. Or alternate on one step only for 30 seconds (or 10 times.. whatever). As far as weights go, when you are doing your squats or lunges you can fill old milk jugs with water (or any heavier easy to grasp object) and use them as 'dumbbells' You can also invest in resistance bands for your lunges. What about the zillion different types of ab exercises? Google floor exercises and you will have quite a variety to keep your body guessing.

And finally - bathroom squats. Sounds crazy but as you increase your water intake (I drink 3 - 5 liters a day depening on my workouts) you will find yourself in the bathroom much more often. After you are finished, while washing your hands, do 20 squats. It really adds up!
  • Juliette320
    Juliette320 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all, I really do need to google more exercises for My arms and shoulder and back. And I'm glad to get all of your input that I'm off to a good start. And I do need to look into heart rate monitors