Spaghetti Squash

Options
2»

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I go medieval on it. First I stab a bunch of holes all over it. Then I put in in a glass dish and microwave for about 10 minutes. Then I let it steam in it's own juices for about 5 minutes. Then it's easy to cut in half, (wear a mitt) scoop out it's guts, and use a fork to shred it's entrails. Add your favorite sauce and you are done. I love just butter w/ grated Parmesan and sea salt.
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I cut in half, bake covered in foil for 40 mins, then scoop out and serve however you like it.

I also bake it, and throw it in a stock pot with veggie broth, coconut milk, juice of one orange, and then use an electric mixer, or throw in a blender, to smooth out. Makes a really delicious soup!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash… but I really don't think it's that much like spaghetti, except for the way it looks. It's good with marinara sauce, but still don't think it's the "perfect" spaghetti substitute… if that's what you're expecting. I love a lot of veggie burgers, too, but I don't expect them to taste or have the texture of meat, either.

Anyway, though, I've had better luck baking it than microwaving it… but it's probably my problem! lol The absolute hardest part is cutting it in half to cook it! You need a knife with a solid, sharp blade. After that, scoop it out (much like a pumpkin!). I lightly spray a baking sheet, then turn the halves cut side down. I bake it at 350 degrees for maybe 30 minutes… it depends on the size of the squash. I reach in and push down on it a bit with a finger and I can tell if it's done the way I like it or not. If you like it "al dente", then a little less time… softer, a little more time!

My fav way to eat it is with a spray of butter, a little salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of brown sugar. For me, it's the best substitute for "carbs" like potatoes and rice.

Oh, and I have parrots that love the seeds. I've roasted them in the oven for hubby and myself, too.

Good luck!
  • Artests
    Artests Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've only had spaghetti squash once, since I have to go to a different grocery store just to buy that & eggplants :(

But I made Spaghetti Squash boats with it and oh-my-gosh they were delicious and SUPER easy to make. I found the recipe on skinnytaste.com and would highly reccomend it

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-spaghetti-squash-boats.html
  • SuZQz173
    Options
    I made soup with spaghetti squash today!

Eating Pasta, I'm left so hungry, even though I'm full.

Craving soup, I made some.

What I did different is, rather than taking the squash out immeditely after cooking, making long spaghetti, I used a knife to make 3 or 4 slits lengthwise in the edible part of squash. That way I'd have "little" squash "noodles" that remind me of lipton noodle soup.

I used chicken stock, poured from a carton. Used thyme as my herb of choice. Chopped celery, shredded carrot. Heated and ate. Oh my, sooo yummy! Topped with lowfat shredded mozzarella cheese.

Barely any calories, so I was short on calories today by 400+. Yet, I'm so full, I can't eat another thing.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Forgot the other way we make it! Bake it whatever way works best for you, then pull the strings out. Throw in a can of black beans, a can of Ro*tel, some southwest seasonings (if you want), and mix it all together. You can heat it briefly in a pan if you want, but the residual heat from the squash should heat up the beans and Ro*tel. Sprinkle with some Monterrey or Pepper Jack cheese (regular or low fat) if you want. Again, serve it with a salad. AMAZING.
  • Stelaraemo
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is pretty simple. Cut it in half, face down in a pan with water in the bottom and let cook till it's soft. You can also use chicken broth for added flavor instead of water. Clean out the seeds after it's done and then take a fork and pull it apart. You can use it just like regular spaghetti with pasta sauce or I also like to put just a little olive oil and italian seasonings in it without the tomato. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, whatever you like. It's also good cold. I've made it with shrimp. Season to what you like.
  • kvachon
    kvachon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I cook it in the micro and use it when I make spaghetti and meatballs for my husband. It doesn't taste like pasta,but it sure doesn't add up like pasta! I also like it with butter and cheese.
  • Gabbyh_0530
    Gabbyh_0530 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love speghetti squash! I usually boil mine whole. I make a tomato meat sauce to go along wih it.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm making Pad Thai with it tomorrow... gonna be yummy!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time the other day. You can cut it in half and de-seed it and cook it (but the skin is really tough so you need a god knife) or you can poke holes in it (deep ones) and cook it whole (this make is super easy to cut but you have to deseed it when it is hot...ouch!) I just piced it a bit and put normal spag sauce on it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I will be trying out spaghetti squash pad Thai tomorrow night!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump! Bought a spaghetti squash yesterday! Anyone ever done a macaroni and cheese? I think I might try that tonight.
  • kvachon
    kvachon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All of these recipes sound yummy thank you