30 Day Shred(ed) fatty. Help!

Options
Hi all:wink: ,
I started 30 Day Shred yesterday. I was hesitant as I have 100 pounds and change to lose. I did google "fatties and 30DS" but nothing more scientific went into my decision. While uber fat, I am not scared of a hard workout. The walking and weenie dvds I've been doing feel like I'm not giving it even a smidge of my all. Last year I did an "Art of strength" class and another round of boot camp at a local gym...and lived to tell the tale though I was admittedly 15 pounds lighter than my current circus fat status. The look on the trainer's face:ohwell: was priceless when I bebopped into the AOS class. Minus a few reps here and there and an occasional extra quick break...I hung in with the beasty hotties minus burpees. I can't do a burpee or even a crazy inbred cousin :huh: of the burpee. Even still, I was followed out of class more than once with "Wow, you're doing amazing:drinker: and so quickly, yadda yadda hoo hah... While nice to hear, what my fat tape heard was "Holy buttballs, I can't believe your short, fat *** didn't keel over 5 minutes in!" AOS and the two boot camps were around 35 min. 3 x a week. SO, I thought well, for sure I can do some cardio and 20 min. everyday of 30DS. Ok? Ok!
I watched it first. Looked simple enough. There were no ropes, burpees, kettlebells, obstacle courses or *ANYTHING* to remotely hint at the butt kickin' that awaited my ample behind. It was hard. Real hard. Ok, I didn't do *every* rep and I modified the jumping jacks by holding up the girls with one arm while simultaneously waving the other because jumping jacks, big booblets and circus fatness can be a tricky combo. I think it goes without saying that I followed the modifying green girl. While skimping on the reps a bit and a few modifications, I finished it.
When I woke up this morning, it felt like a very large truck carrying a very large elephant with a very large bass had repeatedly run over my legs.:brokenheart: I have been walking around today like that same truck's tailpipe got stuck in my own but, I was determined to do day 2 anyway. It's 20 minutes.
2 minutes into today's episode and I dunno what happened. It was as if during yesterday's workout, an army of invisible sea monkey sized jillian michael's were shpoofed out of my tv directly into my quads and triceps to lay in wait for their great activator which must be sweat because once I started to bust a glisten every one of those bishes started to beat each individual muscle fiber with a wiffle ball bat. Ok, truth is I dunno what the weapon was, only that it packed a wallop. My dog is traumatized:noway: . He paced and sniffed me nervously with each floor exercise. I think he was trying to take my pulse but when I let out the gutteral howls that one can only let fly in one's own home.:sick: He hid. Seriously.
I share not to deter anyone from doing the 30DS. Quite the opposite. If my big butt can do it and live, so can you. You might want to put a spacer on the potty so you don't have to lower yourself down and I wouldn't recommend the couch for a bit lest you bring a backpack with gear for a few days.
I do have a question though. Before starting, I figured you did each level for 10 days. She says in her intro chat to move on to the next level when you're ready. If I'm modifying and dealing with the seamonkeys o'pain, do I count that as day one and two and keep on until day 10 then up my level or just do level one until I feel like wiffle ball bats have been replaced with a squishier weapon?
I guess the fear of public shame spurred me on in the AOS and boot camp class because this is HA-RUD!
Sorry so rambly,
~Fluff :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    when I did the 30DS I had about 40 pounds to lose...and I couldn't walk for like 3 days and I had to hold onto the sink in order to sit on the toilet...I moved on tot he second round after 2 weeks I think it was. When I could do ALL reps for a few days...that's when I moved on.
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This post cracked me up!
    I have tried doing 30DS and have never finished because I get so bored! lol Just see how you feel at the end of 10 days and do a few extra days if you feel you need it, if not just keep moving on to the next level! If you did a bootcamp class, you can do this!
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Nothing but love for this post! Good luck to you, keep your humor and chin up! I did level 1 for 13 days my first time. I didn't think I was 'ready' to move on. Then I did level 2 and I found out nothing I did or could have done would have got me 'ready'. But I fought through it and you will too! It's a real biotch but if it wasnt then why bother doing it?
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :happy: First off, let me say- I love your personality. I read all of that laughing to myself because I've definitely been there.
    I LOVE your spirit though, it's fantastic! Definitely keep that up :)

Here's a bit of my thoughts/a little of my story:
    I used to be about 60 lbs overweight, and I didn't have half the determination you do.
    Long story short, I finally got down from 190 to 130. (I know, probably not super impressive compared to all the amazing stories you find on here!) but it was something.
    I ended up getting so excited, I trained for and completed a half marathon in 4 months after never running a day in my life. Seriously, I completed the mile in high school in like 20 minutes. I had no idea I could run.
    I also did 30 day shred. I bought it..hmm.. 4 years ago?
    Yeah.
    I've done level 1 like a bajillion times lol.

Here's my advice on that- and this is only coming from me who has a short attention span with just about everything-
    Buy more of her DVD's.
    If you like her 30 DS, intersperse it with others.
    I tried to do it for 30 days, after 4 years I've still never done it lol.
    Right now since i can't run (foot injury), I've been doing her kickboxing DVD, along with ripped in 30 every once and a while, and maybe some yoga or 30 DS.
    Then again, like I said, I have a short attention span. I get so bored with the same workout.

But when I did it for 3 weeks in a row- the way I moved up-
    (first off, rest days are REALLY important. Especially when you're starting out. Got to let your muscles heal)
    So I did it until I could follow all the reps without stopping.
    Simple enough.
    Sometimes when I started, I could do it for 7 days, others it would take me 2 weeks. I generally suggest doing it 5 days a week with 2 days rest.

So yeah. I like to ramble too. Feel free to add me :) I love more motivation/support and to give any advice! Ask any questions you have.

And stick with it! Rest though. Otherwise it might become way to freaking difficult to continue on when you feel like crap!
  • mintedtea
    mintedtea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 days from completing 30DS, though I have done the videos many times before off and on. The soreness DOES go away! I am only 40lbs over my goal weight so I can't speak to people who have much more to lose, but by day 4-5 of doing it every day my muscles became more used to it. That doesn't mean it was easy to do, but I wasn't sore afterward. I have followed it exactly how you're supposed to with the leveling up, but I know people who have done it every other day, switched levels back and forth, done it twice a week, etc. Try a couple of ways and find out what works for you. For some people, level 1 is harder than level 2. For me, level 2 was harder than level 3. Find your comfort zone with the repetitions. If you have to do level 1 for 2 weeks, as long as you don't give up you will still find success.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    hahaha awesome post. Just to let you know, the first time I did the 30DS I was about 160 lbs at 5'7" and I couldnt walk for 3 days after. It's not just you! Good luck :)
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1) Your post is awesome in that you started 30DS and did two days in a row! When I started it, I believe there was a rest day, then I finally did day two once I could sit down to pee without wanting to cry.
    2) Like some of the other posts indicate, there are several ways with which to go about completing Jillian Michael's DVDs. Personally, after I was able to get used to level 1 workout, I did level 2 and then level 3 (up until day 28). It was at this point I messed up, and a weekend rest day became a weekend off which became the story of how I welched on 30DS :(
    3) There are several groups on MFP that are solely 30DS, and several others that combine J. Michael's workouts.

Kudos to you and best wishes!
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was definitely sore after the first couple times. I say do Level 1 until you feel you've mastered it and it's no longer a HUGE challenge. I previewed Level 2 over the weekend and wanted to kill myself. :-) Let your body lead the way!
  • 4Boys4Me
    4Boys4Me Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I laughed so hard with this post. I can so totally relate just not with this program. I've been wanting to do it. When I was first doing Insanity, I could barely sit down on toilet and manage my stairs.

I would love to keep up with your progress.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    :heart: you, Fluff!

I did level 1 for 10 days and did level 2 for two days before deciding I was done. I got bored and lazy. Definitely move on when you're ready. And anytime you need to use the restroom in a public place, go for the handicapped stall. Those bars will help so much! :wink:
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    All you posts I just love!!!!!

I did the 30 day shread and still do it though not so much as a 30 day shred. You modified jumping jacks are what I do to unless I want to don 2 bras and a sports bra and then tyr to get that sweaty mess off my body.

Be careful to not overwork yourself - listen to your body -- you do not want to get injured.
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fluff - this thread is NOT making me want to do 30ds. And I have been seriously considering it. Is there anyone who does this who DOESN'T complain about the pain?
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am disappointed if I am not in pain following an intense workout. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) means it is working. If I'm not sore after the shred the I didn't push myself all the way. Put it in perspective. Are some days of intense soreness worth losing the inches to you? It's just one month.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi all:wink: ,
    I started 30 Day Shred yesterday. I was hesitant as I have 100 pounds and change to lose. I did google "fatties and 30DS" but nothing more scientific went into my decision. While uber fat, I am not scared of a hard workout. The walking and weenie dvds I've been doing feel like I'm not giving it even a smidge of my all. Last year I did an "Art of strength" class and another round of boot camp at a local gym...and lived to tell the tale though I was admittedly 15 pounds lighter than my current circus fat status. The look on the trainer's face:ohwell: was priceless when I bebopped into the AOS class. Minus a few reps here and there and an occasional extra quick break...I hung in with the beasty hotties minus burpees. I can't do a burpee or even a crazy inbred cousin :huh: of the burpee. Even still, I was followed out of class more than once with "Wow, you're doing amazing:drinker: and so quickly, yadda yadda hoo hah... While nice to hear, what my fat tape heard was "Holy buttballs, I can't believe your short, fat *** didn't keel over 5 minutes in!" AOS and the two boot camps were around 35 min. 3 x a week. SO, I thought well, for sure I can do some cardio and 20 min. everyday of 30DS. Ok? Ok!
    I watched it first. Looked simple enough. There were no ropes, burpees, kettlebells, obstacle courses or *ANYTHING* to remotely hint at the butt kickin' that awaited my ample behind. It was hard. Real hard. Ok, I didn't do *every* rep and I modified the jumping jacks by holding up the girls with one arm while simultaneously waving the other because jumping jacks, big booblets and circus fatness can be a tricky combo. I think it goes without saying that I followed the modifying green girl. While skimping on the reps a bit and a few modifications, I finished it.
    When I woke up this morning, it felt like a very large truck carrying a very large elephant with a very large bass had repeatedly run over my legs.:brokenheart: I have been walking around today like that same truck's tailpipe got stuck in my own but, I was determined to do day 2 anyway. It's 20 minutes.
    2 minutes into today's episode and I dunno what happened. It was as if during yesterday's workout, an army of invisible sea monkey sized jillian michael's were shpoofed out of my tv directly into my quads and triceps to lay in wait for their great activator which must be sweat because once I started to bust a glisten every one of those bishes started to beat each individual muscle fiber with a wiffle ball bat. Ok, truth is I dunno what the weapon was, only that it packed a wallop. My dog is traumatized:noway: . He paced and sniffed me nervously with each floor exercise. I think he was trying to take my pulse but when I let out the gutteral howls that one can only let fly in one's own home.:sick: He hid. Seriously.
    I share not to deter anyone from doing the 30DS. Quite the opposite. If my big butt can do it and live, so can you. You might want to put a spacer on the potty so you don't have to lower yourself down and I wouldn't recommend the couch for a bit lest you bring a backpack with gear for a few days.
    I do have a question though. Before starting, I figured you did each level for 10 days. She says in her intro chat to move on to the next level when you're ready. If I'm modifying and dealing with the seamonkeys o'pain, do I count that as day one and two and keep on until day 10 then up my level or just do level one until I feel like wiffle ball bats have been replaced with a squishier weapon?
    I guess the fear of public shame spurred me on in the AOS and boot camp class because this is HA-RUD!
    Sorry so rambly,
    ~Fluff :flowerforyou:

OMG! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FLIPPIN CRACK ME UP!!!!!!!!!! And i would do it at your own pace...when it gets not quite so hard, move up a level...dont wait until that level is easy.....wait until the seamonkeys are not quite so painful ÜÜÜ I loved your jumping jack description....even with 2 bras on (including a sport bra 3 sizes smaller than any normal human would wear, I STILL blop around....) Oh man i love you!!!!!
    Kathey
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fluff - this thread is NOT making me want to do 30ds. And I have been seriously considering it. Is there anyone who does this who DOESN'T complain about the pain?
    To me the pain is a GOOD thing....if I am not feeling pain after a fairly 'new' workout, I know I am not pushing myself....I am not talking JOINT pain, or anything like that, I am talking muscle pain...if you are TRULY not even a TAD sore, time to change the routine up a bit.....(especially if you are 'newer' to exercising)
    I have only done the 30ds a few times and now will have to get the DVD out again.....
  • territurner908347
    Options
    Fluff,
    You seriously need to blog on here and not just post! Your personality ROCKS and I love it!

I was doing crossfit awhile back and every dang day following a workout, I walked like I had no knees and my bathroom breaks were abnormally longer since it took me so long to ease down and then build the courage to get up again!

I am going to start this this week and will be right there with you. Just doing some exercises on my own this week has be in major pain, so I know my butt is going to feeling the 30 DS!

As they say- "No Pain No Gain (or loss)"

Bring it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sdlatingrl76
    Options
    :flowerforyou: LOVE this post! I will be starting the 30DS tonight - With 75lbs to lose, I anticipate that I will be feeling like you. I shall follow up tomorrow.
  • lucygfphillips
    Options
    i started the shred yesterday, and only felt tired afterwards, and due to cramped conditions, i didnt feel like i was doing the exercises properly, so moved into a more open space and re-did it, but i still wasnt that sore even though i was pretty much dripping sweat, and today, im more achy than sore? is this normal? as ive heard other women say they were dying after the first day
  • Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am seven days from completing it!!!! and will make myself do it. Level three has brought me to tears the day after. No matter how hard I will make it though!!!!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Lucy it took until days 3 and 4 for me until I was really sore, now that's eased by day 6.