Greek yogurt vs others

Options

Replies

• lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In Canada, Costco has a Kirkland brand that's great.

I was going to say that and forgot. I sometimes buy the kirkland (plain) brand and add a little vanilla and sweetener and eat it just like that or add fruit.
  • njnorma
    Options
    I just tried it last week and like it very much. The thicker texture suits me better. The others get watery when you save half for the next day. And the other yogurts have way too much sugar grams.
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Chobani - I eat one every day - can't beat it!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan myself. I get it might be a better choice but there's only one yogurt (non-greek) I really enjoy and I'll stick to it.
    I agree totally and would like to add for the cost and extra protien, I choose to eat real protien and keep my old yougart. And I tried all different kinds and my favorite of the greek yogurts I did try was Chobani Pineapple and the strawberry flavors 2nd.

And, why is the protein in Greek yogurt not "real"? Do you know how Greek yogurt is made and why it's higher protein? It doesn't have added protein, it's just strained to concentrate the protein and lower the sugar content. How is that not "real protein"??
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I thought Greek yogurt was supposed to be something wonderful. I had always bought cheaper brands. So I bought a four pack of Dannon fit and light strawberry yogurt and I'm going to have to find some one to give the other 3 to. I just can't take the texture or how thick it is or something.

Aw man, I LOVE greek yogurt! The runny kind makes me gag :sick:

Chobani is good, the 'ol standby for me....Siggi's is my favorite but I only get it every once in a while because it's pricey

Siggi's is not Greek yogurt.
  • mwpapineau
    Options
    I love Greek Gods Greek yogurt, unfortnately it's not low fat by any means! I am now looking for a low fat Greek yogurt that doesn't taste artificial. As far as regular yogurt goes, I like Mountain High.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    try fage, its the best one I've found

This.

Fage 2% is my favorite for individual cups. I like Cabot 10% too, but it's a lot of calories by comparison. Fage 2% honey is delicious!
  • Ridoe87
    Ridoe87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stonyfield Farms Oikos Organic Greek Fruit on the Bottom is the Best!! It has all of your Probiotics and it tastes soo Yummy. Or Stonyfield Farms Oikos Organic Greek Vanilla and add a bit of Honey too it! Delish.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like the Greek because it is thick and smooth. Zoi is the best brand and it is the cheapest 2.80 versus 4.00. I add 1/4 c of splenda to 12oz. of yogurt and then 1sm pig of sugar free jello pudding. I have done choc, cheesecake, and white choc. Sooooo good!!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    try Icelandic Skyr yogurt. I don't like greek yogurt but I love Skyr. It's got all the protein and tastes way better.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan myself. I get it might be a better choice but there's only one yogurt (non-greek) I really enjoy and I'll stick to it.
    I agree totally and would like to add for the cost and extra protien, I choose to eat real protien and keep my old yougart. And I tried all different kinds and my favorite of the greek yogurts I did try was Chobani Pineapple and the strawberry flavors 2nd.

And, why is the protein in Greek yogurt not "real"? Do you know how Greek yogurt is made and why it's higher protein? It doesn't have added protein, it's just strained to concentrate the protein and lower the sugar content. How is that not "real protein"??

Quite a few of "greek" yogurts are the normal faux yogurt with gelatin and whey protein added. While it's still real protein... i guess for that user it's not the same.

As far as icelandic yogurt it has 10g of protein per serving as opposed to greek which has 20g+ per, so not apples to apples.

Greek Gods is not greek yogurt as we have come to know it. It's just thickened normal yogurt.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I heard great things about it but found the mouthfeel to be too slippery and too rich, a little slimy. Not what I want from yogurt.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like my greek yogurt with low fat granola mixed in. It's my lunch every day.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I like Non-Fat Chobani with blueberries and the one with strawberries, but I had to slow down on eating them because they are high in sugar and carbs.

I tried Fage 2% Plain as a sour cream substitute on my lasagna yesterday and it was surprisingly good.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I thought Greek yogurt was supposed to be something wonderful. I had always bought cheaper brands. So I bought a four pack of Dannon fit and light strawberry yogurt and I'm going to have to find some one to give the other 3 to. I just can't take the texture or how thick it is or something.

Aw man, I LOVE greek yogurt! The runny kind makes me gag :sick:

Chobani is good, the 'ol standby for me....Siggi's is my favorite but I only get it every once in a while because it's pricey

Siggi's is not Greek yogurt.

yeah i know, it's Icelandic not Greek. I just saw mention of it a few posts back & figured i'd chime in bc i really like it

Correct me if i'm wrong as i am no expert, but I think Icelandic is made with nonfat milk, as opposed to the Greek style where they strain the fat out later...Either way they are both thicker & creamier than traditional runny yogurt which is why i like those 2 styles better
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Didn't like the Dannon one either. Tasted chalky to me. The Fage and Chobani brands are the best IMHO.

^THIS.

Also, as someone else mentioned, Icelandic-style yogurt is also good, but it's hard to find.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't like any yogurt alone, but I DO like fruit in the bottom Greek yogurt frozen with a scoop of choco whey powder mixed in (protein ice cream!), or plain Greek yogurt in tomato soup to make a creamy soup.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your preference.

I definitely prefer Greek yogurt since most of the other ones you find in the store are that 0% fat crap, it tastes just awful.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like the regular 100 calorie Old Home Yogurt, is really inexpensive and less sweet tasting and low calories. If I get the greek one though I like the Chobani one
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't like any yogurt alone, but I DO like fruit in the bottom Greek yogurt frozen with a scoop of choco whey powder mixed in (protein ice cream!), or plain Greek yogurt in tomato soup to make a creamy soup.

oooh the yogurt substituted as cream in tomato soup sounds like a good idea. I have used it in place of sour cream on potatoes