Anyone given up on running?

Options
So, I thought that I would try running and started w the Couch to 2k app. Bad idea bc it started me off at running for a minute, which I did once, but couldn't do the second lap after 30 seconds. So, I just have given up on my goal at being able to run for a few minutes at a time. Anyone else just sticking to walking for long distances?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So you tried it once and couldn't do it, so you are giving up?
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Dont give up because you couldnt do it the first time! Thats just silly! The first is always the hardest.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I dont just "walk long distances" on the treadmill I get the speed up and incline up to get my heart rate up!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k also. I had to quit because I found out at the same time that I have reactive hypoglycemia which I was having severe issues with since I just had my gall bladder removed. Then when I got it under control it got cold. But I plan to try again here in a couple weeks. Only this time I won't be following the app. This time I am just going to get out and jog until I feel like I can't anymore then walk the rest. Even by running for a minute now and walking for 10, if you keep doing that soon you will be able to do it.

I just kept repeating day 1 of week 1 over and over. A lot of people do. Don't give up!
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I've had to because my old running shoes are too small (and I can't afford a pair of new ones), but I wouldn't give up running just yet. Their pace must be higher than what you're presently capable of and that's just fine. Take it slow. Start with walking, then move onto fast walking with intermittent jogging, and increase as your endurance gets better. Progress takes time, but it's usually worth it!
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I do incline work on the treadmill and stair master. I've ran a lot in the past to get off my weight now it is just maintenance and building more muscle.
  • lexusmarie21
    lexusmarie21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a former runner and thought I would take it back up. When I first started out I would walk for 2 minutes then run for 1 minute at a slow pace and gradually work my way up to running a mile then 2 then 3. You have to go at your own pace. If you start out too fast you will just injury yourself.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    More than a year ago I did the C25K and started to run a bunch. I even did a 10K. Now that I am starting up my work outs again I am doing mostly aerobic DVDs like zumba or turbo jam. It doesn't have to be running, but it has to be something.
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I've always hated running. I even tried to do it a couple years ago, but it sucked and I hated it. Then I tried it again last year, and friggin LOVE it!!!! You just have to be patience and push yourself. But some people honestly just don't enjoy running, which is ok, but if you're giving up because you feel you "can't" do it- you're mistaken!
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are running too fast and that's why it was hard to get in the second minute. I've done the program once and am doing it again. I am not a fast runner so to get through the day's program i may slow down, but not to my walking speed until its time to walk. I also have to repeat days every so often and many people choose to repeat a week. Don't give up after one day! Just slow down and believe in the program.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with "just walking," it is excellent exercise. But if you have no health issues that would prevent you from running, why not keep trying?

Run slower if necessary. Make sure you have good shoes. Do dynamic stretches (leg swings, etc) before you run and static stretches after. Find a local running store and check out their running groups--many of them will have walk/run programs for beginners.

In Feb. 2011 I was about 50 lbs overweight and got a wild hair to start running after I was inspired by a friend who was training for a half marathon. I had not exercised consistently in 10 years and had gained a lot of weight. I could only run for about 15 seconds at a time--I could not do the Couch to 5k program as it was written, so I kind of made up my own variation on it.

It took about 3 months for me to run a mile without stopping, and a couple more months after that I started training for a half marathon. (Yes, my family thought I was insane too!)

2 years later I am 33 pounds down (I did other stuff besides running, but that's my favorite) and I will run my 4th half marathon in May. I'm not "skinny" but I am working toward a healthy weight for me, and I feel awesome!

Don't give up. If you can't run 30 seconds now, try for 20. If you can't run 20, try 15.

And go watch this video to see someone who DIDN'T GIVE UP:

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I just kept repeating day 1 of week 1 over and over. A lot of people do. Don't give up!

^^^ this. When you can do day one, move on. Don't give it.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i gave up on running because it sucks and i hate it.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    All... The... Time...

And then I have to run the next day, so I have to keep going. Don't stop trying as long as you aren't injured.
  • OldDog_NewTricks
    OldDog_NewTricks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gave up on running too. Because 1. my goals changed, and 2. I have a slight recurring injury that is inflamed by running.

Not before I took my sorry *kitten* from not being able to jog more than a few metres to getting close to a half marathin though. And I didn't quit because I made a half arsed attempt at something and found it too difficult.

Enjoy failure.

This. And I took up running at age 53. I'm now running 10K's and it's been 9 months. If I can do that, you can surely try to run for one minute.
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    I got into running because everyone that I met who had amazing results told me that they also got into running. It took me months to actually enjoy it! I swear it was forever until I could run a mile. Little by little I worked my way up and now I dont feel good unless I get a run in. Dont give up just take it slow..........and stretch!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I tried running in my 20's and gave up. I tried running in my 30's and gave up. At 40, I finally matured enough to stick with it. It took me 6 months to run a full 5k without stopping.

I can run for hours now. (except that I'm currently nursing a heel injury :cry:)
  • manasicaje
    Options
    There's something about running that just doesn't agree with me... but getting your heartrate up is a pretty important part of getting and staying healthy, so just keep trying lots of things until you find what's right for you. The bike is more compatible with me, so that's what I use :)

Also, you can use the "30min jog" feature of the "Ease into 5k" app and just walk... it tracks your distance and speed so you can keep track of your progress... and there are no interuptions telling you to run or walk... just 30min of whatever speed you feel comfortable with. For me, I need to track progress to stay motivated, and for that you need data.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I gave up on running too. Because 1. my goals changed, and 2. I have a slight recurring injury that is inflamed by running.

Not before I took my sorry *kitten* from not being able to jog more than a few metres to getting close to a half marathin though. And I didn't quit because I made a half arsed attempt at something and found it too difficult.

Enjoy failure.

This. And I took up running at age 53. I'm now running 10K's and it's been 9 months. If I can do that, you can surely try to run for one minute.

I started at age 41! Good for you! :)
  • BookwomanTerri
    Options
    I've done week one day one of C25K four times now and I still can't complete all the running. I started running only every third time it came up which resulted in a whopping 3 minutes of running...which is 3 minutes more than I have done in as long as I can remember. And the first time I did that I thought I was going to die. Today I managed to do 4 minutes and felt pretty good. Next time I will try to run every other time it comes up and eventually I'll complete W1D1 and move on to day 2. Don't give up!