Joggers! How do you carry your things?

Options
Hello!
I'm planning on picking up jogging as a regular form of exercise, but I've run (hoho) into a problem.
I went jogging once with a friend and had no idea how to carry the stuff I need (keys, iPod, cellphone mainly)? I had it all in a sort of hipg bag (I think fannypack is the US word?) but it kept jumping up and down no matter how tight I wore it.
My jogging pants are pretty loose and open, so putting things into my pockets are out of question as well because they'd keep falling out.
How do you joggers keep all your belongings with you while running?

Replies

• disdatdude
    Options
    You're trying to carry too much. You should have the 1 key you need (either your door or car key...the rest of your keys can stay locked in your car) and either your ipod or your cellphone. Choose one. Most cellphones can carry music or, since you're only going to be running for a little while perhaps you will devote that time to running and put calls on the back burner. After you decide which of the two go ahead and get an arm band to carry it.

I will tell you that I generate some weird static electricity when I walk/run and none of my Droids have liked me taking them out for exercise. Lot's of phantom jumping through screens and self dialing.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Ipod you can buy running armband to put it in, that's ipod done. Mobile, do you really need it and if so in todays world do you not use that for your music as you could get an armband for that instead. I have a running/cycling jersey which has zip pocket in the back which is perfect for keys, not many maybe just the single one

OR

If like me take nothing with you lol
  • EdTheGinge
    Options
    You're trying to carry too much. You should have the 1 key you need (either your door or car key...the rest of your keys can stay locked in your car) and either your ipod or your cellphone. Choose one. Most cellphones can carry music or, since you're only going to be running for a little while perhaps you will devote that time to running and put calls on the back burner. After you decide which of the two go ahead and get an arm band to carry it.

I will tell you that I generate some weird static electricity when I walk/run and none of my Droids have liked me taking them out for exercise. Lot's of phantom jumping through screens and self dialing.

Damn, you stole my answer. I must be quicker in future lol
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wear a road ID bracelet sonI don't have to worry about carrying ID.

Everything else (my door key, debit card/cash & iPhone) I stick in my sports bra. It's amazing how much I can fit in there :-/
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I try not to carry too much, but have to have one key and an inhaler at the very least. I have an SPI belt; it's very stretchy and expands to hold whatever I need to take with me. Very comfortable, and much much smaller than a bumbag/ fannypack.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    if you are going to carry all that stuff get a spibelt.
  • KellieLouise84
    Options
    I just take my keys and phone, (useing the c25k app, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it) and I just stick them down my sports bra!!
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options

1. I don't have a car or any place to store my keys, so I have to take house AND apartment-keys with me :C
    2. I get what you're saying about phonecalls not being important, but I'm jogging alone in an area where there might not be many other people so I feel safer with a phone if there ever is an emergency. I'm not texting or chatting on the phone while jogging ;)
    I didn't think about putting my music on my phone, though, will definitely do that! :D
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I run with a CamelBak which has a pocket for my phone and key. When I race I wear a Spibelt which holds my key & phone if I carry them. I also wear a RoadID on my shoes, so I don't carry ID.

http://www.spibelt.com/?gclid=CIDI8PjOj7UCFfSmPAodwSUANg
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone so I use the armband, but my keys and anything else I need I stick in my pockets. I have these athletic pants that have a small zip pocket so nothing falls out. IF for some reason I don't have those pants on, I stick everything else in my bra :) haha
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    go to sportsdirect and get one of them phone armbands they are like 3 quid and usually got space for 2-3 keys as well, but leave the keyring :D
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have a running belt that is just like a bum bag but the purse bit is a little flatter and can hold less. It seems to stay still ok. I also have a spare door key that it not part of any bunch so that I only need that if running straight from home. Finally, like others, I get my music/podcasts on my phone so that is all I need. I do think you should always have a phone with you just in case you fall, twist something and of course for safety too.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I take my key, cell phone and i Pod (I use the GPS on my cell phone and then only have my music on my iPod for now). I have an arm band for my iPod, I take my house key and loop it through my shoe lace (make sure to loop it and then fully tie them) and I carry my phone in my hand.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Sports direct currently have a Karrimor running belt very cheap which has a pocket for Keys and a water bottle, I have an armband for my music/phone - Job done. Do not grip anything when running!!! I now have chronic tennis elbow from holding a water bottle tightly whilst running :(
  • CardioKnitter
    Options
    When i used to run (kinda been on a dance and video kick lol) i had a contigo waterbottle that had a little flap to keep a keep a key and id. and then i had my ipod in an arm band. so i just had to carry the waterbottle. I've done the key through shoelace thing too. =D.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I take my key, cell phone and i Pod (I use the GPS on my cell phone and then only have my music on my iPod for now). I have an arm band for my iPod, I take my house key and loop it through my shoe lace (make sure to loop it and then fully tie them) and I carry my phone in my hand.

I like the idea of looping the key through your shoelace :) that's clever. I was desperate once and attached my house key to my belly ring!
  • nastycivilian
    nastycivilian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the past & realized that I'm just NOT going to be able to carry everything that I want. It's not like I need all those things while I'm out running anyways, haha.

The pants/shorts I wear have a little pocket on the waist band specifically for a key so I use that if I need to bring my key with me & then I have an armband to hold my cell phone - I never run without it.

That's it.. & I have a small ipod that can just clip to wherever I want to clip it. :)
  • EdTheGinge
    Options

I like the idea of looping the key through your shoelace :) that's clever. I was desperate once and attached my house key to my belly ring!

Now that is AWESOME about the key to belly ring
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't carry anything with me. Don't need phone when you run, what are you going to do with it. Never liked carrying ipods, they're just a distraction.

As for keys, I just throw them into a nearby bush where no one can find it.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I have actually ran with my phone on my hip in it's holster. Right now with winter cold and snow accompanying every run I just put my car key in one pocket and my phone in the other. A good running jacket will have zippered pockets to keep your stuff secure. I also have running pants with zippered pockets. When spring returns, so will my SPIbelt. I definitely agree with those that suggest you chose between your phone and iPod. For me the phone wins hands down. It's my music source, my emergency protection device, and perhaps most importantly, my timing and tracking device. I use endomondo to give me GPS tracking of every run.