50 + year olds, looking to loose 50+ pounds?

Options

Replies

• NormaBrady
    NormaBrady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 and need to loose 80 lbs. My health is good at the moment, but my numbers are inching up. So my future depends on me loosing this weight. I drive over the road a couple of weeks a month, work on paper work on and off and just seem to do alot of busy work for our ventures. My struggle is eating right when I drive for long periods, and preparing properly when I'm home. I've noticed that excersise can sometimes make me dizzy and sick feeling. Friends would be nice so we can help each other stay on track.
  • pattirn57
    Options
    I am almost 56, and have been on this journey too many times in my life. I would love to be in a +50 group. I want to get healthy and start living without thinking about my weight every day for the rest of my life !!!
  • wiebelnancy
    wiebelnancy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 on Valentines Day!! Still have about 30 pounds to lose. Would love support system!!
  • wanabefitter
    Options
    50 at 50, I like it, great idea, i am 50 ( hurts saying that) and yes loosing 50lbs would be about right.

Support group would be great, not sure of the process, but I would be happy to be friended!
  • patnj
    patnj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 .. I've been too heavy for 20+ years. I've lost and gained it all several times. I have lots of excuses ( I'm too busy to exercise, I'm too tired, I am not the cook in the house, I... ) I am now tired of all my "I" excuses and am looking to make some "I" changes. I can enjoy my husband's wonderful cooking without doing harm to myself, I have no good reason for sitting on my butt all day long.

I feel very empowered this time around - it doesn't seem like near the chore it has in the past. I'm not all the way off the couch yet but I'm working at it.

My goal is to lose that 50+lbs by the end of June - ambitious goal but I believe it's doable. I would be happy to be friended.
  • starrlightbright
    Options
    I turned 50 in December. After a 21 year married and divorced, I finally met someone important. I have been dating him for 3 years. Since the 3 years, I have probably gained about 30 pounds :( ugh. comfort dating weight? or what do you call it. Need some great ideas to get motivated. We are talking marriage, think that would do it. But it makes me sad to think that I would have to purchase a size 16 if I do marry this man now. I was size 7 when I was married the first time. I am not naive, to think I would be that small again. But would welcome and love to be a size 11 again!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50 (will be 48 this year), but my hubby turns 50 this year so we are looking to lose the weight together. I have 70 lbs to lose. Please friend me, if you'd like. I am always looking for supportive people to help me with my goals. We can do this!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm 45-1/2 (is that close enough?) and my goal is to drop about 25-30 pounds, but most importantly, to remain active and independent. I think about the golden years ahead, and I have every intention of going down swinging, so I'm trying to make adjustments now and adopt good habits.

Here for encouragement, support, and somebody to vent to if you need it. Feel free to friend me.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    51 here can add me
  • juliekesler
    juliekesler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I meet the qualifiers! If you're still looking for 50+ yr olds I'm one!
    I'm new to all of this- looking for support and to be a support to others!
    -Julie
  • tobybears54
    Options
    Hi I am 59 and need to lose 50 pounds. I really need a lot of support and hopefully can lose the weight. I am at 218 now but would love to get down to under 200. You can add me as a friend if you want, the more the merrier. Good luck to everyone in meeting their goals.
  • beamteam4
    beamteam4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and need to lose another 45 pounds. Please feel free to add me.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and need to lose 50, add me if you like.
  • danzinmimi
    Options
    I'm new and just looking for a support group. I will be 59 in June and need to lose 50lbs. I'm not looking to do it fast I want to keep it off and not feel like I'm dieting. I need to get healthy.
  • cjeanallen
    cjeanallen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joining at (almost) age 52 and want to lose 40 pounds. I am short (5 ft) and really need to get down to a healthier weight and also to get more activity/exercise into my days. I like healthy foods, but tend to get lazy and go for the easy stuff. I hope to get some healthy habits going with this program and some support would be great :smile: I haven't figured out how to connect yet, as I just barely joined, but I plan on giving it a shot.
  • karenward988711
    Options
    Not quite 50 (48) and need to loose 50+ lbs (more like 70) would love to be in a short group
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and will support anyone with an open food diary who logs daily
  • shuttlefan
    Options
    At 66 I'm one of the older ones as well and have two replaced knees. Have 50+ pounds I would very much like to rid myself of.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm 50+ -- hell, I'm 60+ and have lost 60+ lbs over the last two years. IT CAN BE DONE! I've gained and lost and regained in the past, so wherever you've been, I've been there too. For me, it takes hyper-vigilance plus eating less and moving more. This time around I did two different things: I joined the YMCA and go to 4-6 group classes a week (first Silver Sneakers, then more mainstream ones as I lost weight and became more fit). The second thing I did was eliminate bread from my diet. If you're the type of person who can buy a loaf of bread and eat one slice a day, then more power to you: I am not that person. So, in the spirit of controlling my environment, I don't buy bread. It probably goes without saying that I don't buy cake, cookies, pie, etc. And, yes, I do dream about bread but that's as far as it goes! Of course, I have the occasional slips, mini-binges, etc., as I still remain an imperfect human. I'm about five lbs from my goal weight, having started my latest effort at almost 190 lbs on my 5'4" frame.

I almost forgot: A third thing I did was purchase a Fitbit One, a device that measures physical activity. It's a great little motivator to set goals for steps, stairs, and distance, then have the fun of meeting them. In addition to the YMCA, I walk a lot outdoors (not in this crappy weather but soon again I hope), trying for 12,000 steps (i.e. 5 miles) and at least 15 stairways.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I hope to share in your success and cheer you on too!
  • deethorson
    Options
    Okay, count me in, I am looking to drop 50 but I would really like to drop 80. I am a snacker and kind co-workers who are foodies bring me things to snack on. I like everything, food cultural diversity is me. No will power. I have a fitbit electronic thing, that I hope will keep me motivated. Oh well, lets compare notes!!