Is it my imagination??

Options
Hi everyone!

I just joined myfitnesspal, and it looks like there are some very knowledgeable people on this site! I thought some of you may be able to help me out with this problem...

I was wondering if anyone is feeling the same way i am after losing weight. I have lost a total of 57lbs since 2 years ago. However, 40 pounds of that i lost in the last 6 months or so. I have gone from a size 11/12 to 2/4 but i do not always see it. Everyone around me is telling me i look great but i have a very hard time accepting the compliments. (i have always had very low self esteem.) I feel just as fat as i did 2 years ago. I want to keep losing weight but my bmi is getting low (17.9). I know for a fact that i am not in the shape i want to be for summer, but i do not know what to do.
I have really enjoyed losing weight and i want to continue, however i do not want to be unhealthy.

I have heard that some people have a hard time seeing the changes in their appearance and that it can take some time. But how do i know if i am just imagining the fat, or if i still need to work on losing more weight? Has anyone else had this dilemma?

Thank you for listening! :)

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    A lot of times when people lose a lot of weight, they still are stuck in the mindset of "I'm fat". Use MFP for maintainance and start doing strength training to tone up and get "in shape". If you are a 2/4 and your BMI is 17.9 and you still want to lose weight, you might want to talk to someone about it...it could be a psychological thing you know? Learn how to think differently. I can't really tell you...I've only lost 20 and I KNOW I need to lose weight, I'm still in the "overweight" range for my BMI and my body fat % is still high.

Also, 18.5 is considered "healthy" so lifting weights will give you muscle mass and should help you get your BMI into the healthy range. Work on that. :happy:
  • justme73
    justme73 Posts: 5
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!!! I love going to Dr. Oz's website. He has so much information on many different topics. But above all else, find someone whom you trust completely and just start talking. And keep talking. Losing too much weight is very dangerous, as you already know. Dr. Oz recently did a show on this very subject. I'll be praying for you! God Bless!!! I hope this has helped.
  • sexylittlethang
    Options
    Hey,
    I agree with arielle... if you're BMI is 17.9 you're by no means overweight. You might have a touch of body dysmorphic disorder or some hint of anorexia (not saying you have either- just maybe some of the characteristics). Going down 10 dress sizes in only 6 months is not only a shock to your body (in a good way!) but it's also a shock to your mind. You probably just need a little time to get used to what you see in the mirror but you need to make sure you keep telling yourself that you're in a healthy range- gaining a little muscle or toning is a great thing but I would try to not lose a lot more weight. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with justme73. Maybe just sit down for a few minutes, be quiet and still, and really think about WHY you want to lose weight. Is it to be healthy and able to do what you "should" be able to? Or is it to be happy? Is it to make someone else think you're beautiful? The only opinion of your BEAUTY that matters is your own. If you don't think you're beautiful, others will pick up on that and start to agree. You are by no means fat. You may have flab if you haven't been working your muscles or if you lost weight too quickly... but there's good news: you can change that!!! :happy: And if you find you do have self-esteem problems and you're wanting to lose weight for the wrong reasons...there are so many people here who are experiencing the same thing who can help. Even those who aren't experiencing it can help. We're a community & we're here for you, girly!
  • ellesi
    ellesi Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all so much! When i posted this i had no idea i would be so blessed with so much help!

Areille- i never thought that there was a wrong reason to lose weight. I always wanted to lose the weight to have a better life somehow and be considered beautiful. I constantly hear my friends and my mom talking about those same reasons for their weight loss pursuit, i guess i never knew other wise. And i have been doing strengthening exercises for almost 2 months now along with my standard cardio routine. I have not noticed much muscle, but that may also be the whole crazy mind thing again! :)

sexylittlethang- you might be right...as a kid i had a doctor tell me i might have BDD, but my parents did not believe them. I really doubt i am anorexic because i feel like i am constantly eating!! :) I am not willing to give up all of my food!! :) However i do find it a bit comforting to know that this may be psychological instead of physical! (strange?? maybe!! :) )

Justme73- thank you for the prayers! And i found a very useful article on dr oz's website just like you said! I had no idea who he even was until you mentioned him. Thanks!

I am so glad i decided to post this tonight! You all gave me an incredible confidence boost i would have never expected from an online community! I have tried to talk to my friends about fitness and all they do is tell me how they are struggling worse! :) This whole process seems so much easier with people to talk to! Thank you!!!
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    You seem like such a sweet girl :happy:
    I'm glad you are finding this site as helpfull as i am. I have some great friends here, and sometimes you need to ask these hard questions to gain some perspective.
    That said, i think my ultimate goal is to fit into a size 2. I haven't been that since high school. I too have been losing a lot of weight - 50 pounds in the last 18 months - i'm a size 4/5 now. I'm so happy about the progress i've made, but the mirror still tells me i'm fat sometimes. When i look at my wide hips and full butt i try to remember how far i've come, that i just had a baby last year, and that my BF thinks i'm stunning. These things make me feel better. It's the media that makes me feel fat. Watching Top Model and seeing those hip bones that stick out an inch and those concave stomachs messes with me - with all of us. I hate those girls yet want to be them so bad :grumble:

Do you have a man, and if so does he tell you he loves your body? If not, that could give you self esteem issues. I had that happen once, ended up taking diet pills trying to look good enough for a guy that really just didn't love me. Who are you trying to look perfect for?

You have the size i dream of being. Sometimes it's hard to love yourself in this society - but we CAN. Be gentle with yourself. I'm sure you look fabulous!:drinker:
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd look into the BDD possibility, and try to see someone about it. If you're underweight but eating "a lot," you're probably either overestimating how much you're eating, or you may be over-exercising. Be careful with your body!
  • ellesi
    ellesi Posts: 7
    Options
    Hippiechick- i know exactly what you mean about watching top model!! I love that show but it definitely gets frustrating at times! Especially because i know that since i am 6ft tall, being THAT skinny would be scary thin on me! Most of the girls on that show are like a size 0 or 00 i think!! :) I have told myself for years that i wanted to just be thin for myself, but i think i may have been tricking myself. I am just going into college and i am constantly seeing those perfectly slim, beautiful, popular girls and i am a bit envious. (i know it sounds soooo middle school!! ) hahaha!! I don't have a bunch of friends, so i want to get in shape before i go off to college. I thought that maybe if i was in shape then people would like me! Now that a say it it sounds crazy!
    As for the BF thing- i have actually never been in a relationship. Crazy as it sounds! But guys in high school are idiots!! (or at least the ones i met!! haha)
    And being a size 2 is not that far from a 4! I still fit in 4's in different brands (and some juniors 5's from time to time). Be proud of that 4!!! Other than a tag number, i did not notice too much of a difference....however that was kinda the problem that led me to create this post! haha, oh well!