Bananas

Options
2»

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    do a search for this to see a lot of replies. most people will tell you that sugars from fruits aren't really what you need to worry about, it's more the added sugars in foods like yogurt, soda, etc. what i used to do is subtract the sugar in fruit from my sugar total to see how it balanced out. when i did that, i usually ended up breaking even or just barely over. don't worry about it too much.

^This was going to be my answer exactly. Don't stress over natural sugars.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What's this about bananas? LOL
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I like pie. And ice cream. Oh oh, and chocolate. And bananas. I don't track sugar.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight eating 2 bananas a day for the past couple of years (in addition to other food, of course!). I like bananas.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This depends on what you need to watch. I am one of those who can't eat too much fruit and then particularly not bananas, because of the high sugar content. If you have issues with sugar (diabetes, insulin resistance, candida problems) then all sugar is sugar, natural or processed.

However, if you are healthy and burn through sugar easily without bloodsugar issues, then don't worry about it. When you eat fruit you get fiber with your sugar, which keeps you from the craziest peaks in bloodsugar. The bloodsugar peaking is one of the main reasons why sugar is so fattening.

Enjoy!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i am bananas for bananas! I am an insulin dependant diabetic since age 7, I just take appropriate amount of insulin for my foods, whether it be bananas or fro yo! or bananafroyo!
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you followed the sugar recommendations, you'd barely be able to have 1 serving of fruit per day.. and absolutely nothing else with sugar (which is everywhere). Personally, I think limiting oneself on fruits and vegetables is unnecessary and unhealthy, as long as you're within your calorie goals. I'm pretty sure that daily "allowed" sugar is for sugar aside from fruit and veggies, since there's a lot of sugar in processed foods, added to coffee, etc. I'd avoid the added sugar, juice, and processed snacks.. not the fruit sugar.

A few servings a day is great for you. It's packaged along with fibre, phytochemicals, antioxidants, and loads of vitamins. It's not evil. :) Eating food high in micronutrients is better than eating another low nutrient food, just because theres less sugar in it. Eating fruit has never hindered my weight loss but more processed/ low nutrient things such as flour do. Fruit also cures all kinds of sweet cravings for low calories! Just my opinion!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    While it is natural sugar, it does raise your glucose levels. Personally, I can't eat bananas because they trigger a sugar binge. If you don't have a problem with them, then eat them but some people are sensitive to that much sugar.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i know this may sound like a silly question but when you put bananas into your food log to you take into consideration how much sugar are in them? I've added one and now I'm over my sugar intake :(
    I think some other posters have it right - if you are diabetic, you may have to limit how much you have, but I usually have apples, bananas, sometimes grapes, grapefruit and raisins at any given time in my house - I would rather snack on something with a degree of natural sugars in them once a week than something with either processed sugars or artificial sweeteners and sometimes some slices of apple or a 'nana is just what I need to hit a target for the day.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health problem that requires you to watch your sugar, then you shouldn't have to worry about the sugar from fruit.
  • jeenater1
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) xx
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Unless you have to worry about blood sugar levels, then you will be a lot happier tracking fiber than sugar. Basically, carbohydrates are divided in sugar and fiber. Stay under on carbs and meet your target on fiber, and sugar will just fall into place.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When I done research on healthy food habits, I found a lot of information saying that bananas is the one fruit to go easy on. Since it does have a high amount of sugar in those.
  • ahefner33
    ahefner33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Without trying to sound too scientificky (a word?)

The fructose in most fruits helps prevent a high spike in insulin. Fructose has been shown to raise triglycerides which causes a insulin resistance. It is converted to glucose by the liver. This happens much faster than complex carbs (yams, whole grains, etc..) (Low GI vs High GI) This triglyceride ( a fat) can more readily be stored as body fat as per body make up.

I'm no nutritionist or anything. Just stuff I've learned from reading reports. So you might want to verify most the things I stated
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing adn reading about fructose and how it is sugar and not great for us blah blah blah....bottom line I will take fructose and the banana anyday over BANANA PUDDING, BANANAS FOSTER, BANANA BREAD or any other dessert for that matter! The vitamins nutritents and fiber outway those items anytime!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    http://www.30bananasaday.com/ this is some funny stuff-