Hi Everyone!

Options
Hello, I just started on myfitnesspal a few days ago. My husband and I are both trying to eat better and be more active. I had success with other programs but find myself falling back into bad habits after a few months. Any tips on making the switch more permanent?
Also, I love the food database on here! Are there any other tools/tricks I should start using?

Replies

• crispycream
    Options
    Hiyo!!! Welcome to the site ^^!!! Me and my fiance are loseing weight together also but as he is a fulltime student he doesnt have time to excersise all he has time for is to get his homework relax a bit and head for bed

I think one way to make it more perment is doing a daily excersise and keeping that up and with food i heard once you keep up something for a couple of months it because natural to do it everyday not a chore. Kinda like getting up for work doing your job? like your obligated to do it so you can pay the bills and feed your family, just think of it that way~ but dont make it seem like a chore loseing weight can be fun im haveing a blast~! I think doing it long enough it will be just like driving a car

Motivations make a big impact also like haveing a dress you want to wear and hang it on your door and telling yourself your going to fit into that dress oneday

Goodluck with your goal!!!!!!!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:
  • clairemullis
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm really excited to see how my progress goes over the next month or so. Hopefully I'll be able to stick to it.
  • ChiWaWaMaMa4
    Options
    Hello!!! So glad to meet you!! I have only been on here about a week & after keeping track & cutting back calories I lost 7 lbs!! I am thrilled!! My hubby & I are int he same boat as you. I have been fighting thyroid disease and in the 1st yr I gained 100lbs... I am so tired of being sick & tired... lmao!!! Good luck & lots of blessings, Shannon
  • clairemullis
    Options
    Congrats on your recent success!! Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues though. Good luck and continued success to you!! :happy:
  • mindalyn
    mindalyn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    hi & welcome to the site--- it is, like ppl said, amazing! truly great support here. congrats on the 1st step to you both & good luck w/your goals!