Planet Fitness

Options
Does anyone work out at a planet fitness?? How do you like it? What don't you like?

AKA I want some details :-p

Replies

• spunkyjen7
    spunkyjen7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am debating on trying them out as well. I would love to hear from others experiences. I'm not a gym person, I'd rather get outside. However, the weather has been crazy and is just an excuse not to work out. I'm trying to stay motivated, here. :)
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hated it. It's absolute basic and if that's all you want, fine. However, I like showers,pools, and a variety of free weights. I feel it's a step up from Curves. It might be good for people who just absolutely cannot afford more than the 10 bucks. I pay 30 at my gym and have access to amazing equipment and classes.
  • steelguy54
    steelguy54 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I feel like Planet Fitness is a joke. One opened up by us so I went to the grand opening and besides their brand new equipment, I do love their ab circuit, their one selling point was that on Mondays they have pizza for everyone free of charge. IMO this is counter active of why I am joining this gym.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hated it! They encourage their members to get healthy and fit to a point. If you get to big (muscular) and to fit (lean) you are asked to leave the gym.
  • susan45013
    susan45013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had a planet fitness membership for a few years now.i love it. My gym has lots of machines, great tanning beds, free weights, classes and personal instruction. Nice locker rooms with showers also. The only thing they don't have is a pool and i wouldn't use that anyway. They are all privately owned so i guess it just depends on the gym in your area.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I work out at PF. I've been on and off with my gym attendance, so it didn't make sense to spend more than the minimum. I've been picking it up, and depending on budget and fitness progress, I might consider shopping around closer to the summer to see what options are out there.

A typical workout for me is a treadmill run or elliptical session, followed by a short strength-training session (squats, planks, biceps curls, triceps extensions). Once I get my butt in the gym, I tend to be self-motivated, often bringing in an interval routine I found on the Internet or similar. As a previous poster said, the setup is basic, so having your own plan/goals for working out at PF is key. In terms of strength, I'm just learning about weight lifting, but my sense is that PF does not carry very heavy weights. They work fine for me because I'm a beginner, but my first guess is that the weight-lifting equipment would only be good for beginner to intermediate levels.

Overall, PF positions itself as an entry-level gym--friendly and super-accessible to newbies and people with moderate fitness goals, but can be a turnoff to those with more ambitious goals. Those with advanced goals sometimes feel the "no judgment" atmosphere created for newcomers bites them in the (toned) butt in the end.
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work out at PF. I used to have a black card, but it just wasn't worth it to me. I think it's a decent gym for the price. Sometimes their customer service can be a pain (maybe that's just my location). I do miss having a pool. And I wish they had a punching bag.

When I started working out there, I had never been to a gym before, so the minimal aspect to me was nice. I didn't become overwhelmed with a bunch of machines.

For 10 bucks a month, I would recommend it.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I work out at PF and I love it. I have the normal $10 a month membership and it's perfect for what I need. I don't know about your location but where I go they offer free personal training. That's always a plus if you need to learn about the machines or want help localizing a spot on your body.

Good Luck!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I work out at PF and its fine for what I need and the money I want to spend.
    I am doing NROL4W and it doesn't have everything I would like, but for $10 a month I make do.
    Its clean, friendly, not intimadating, but basic.
  • thegunnut26
    thegunnut26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If the were better gyms in sioux falls I would leave but for right now I guess it gets the job done. I just wish they had barbells to do dead lifts with.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I joined one that just opened here in my town in October, 2012. I really enjoy it.

They do focus on the newbie or casual gym-goer. Also, it is a stripped-down gym experience in that there are no pools, classes or day-care for kids. I would love those things but I chose this gym due to the cost and location. Sometimes you have to compromise and I am okay without those things because my wife and I go to Planet Fitness for a total of $20 / month v. $80 / month for the only other gym that would be close enough for us to go to.

All of the equipment is just what I need. In the weight-lifting area there are machines as well as free-weights. In the cardio area there are 5 options, (1) treadmill, (2) elliptical, (3) arc trainer, (4) recumbent bikes and (5) spin bikes. There is an ab center that is really good as well.

Probably the weakest area is the 30 minute circuit area where they try to combine cardio and strength training in one 30 minute circuit. I hate the thing because I find it impossible to get from one station to the next in the time allotted (30 seconds) because in that time you have to get up, get to a spray bottle (assuming someone else has not taken it), get a paper towel, get back to the machine, clean it and then get to the next station. In fact it is so hard that most people don't bother cleaning the machines as they go which means, if that bothers you, that you need to clean the machine before and after you use it.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to go. The price is great and when all I wanted/needed were cardio and weight machines, it was fine. But as I learned more, the options available were too limited. The lack of a squat rack, no kettlebells or medicine balls, and trainers who don't know anything are the biggest issues.
  • HONEYBUNNYX2
    Options
    Yes ! been with them for about 6 months, It's a great place. Everyone is normal, friendly. The saff helps you every way possible,they also give ideas on how to get in better in shape. I have'nt found anything bad about it yet. I think it"s great.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. My planet fitness has lots of machines always in good shape, as well as free weights. It is clean, the staff is friendly and helpful. There is a trainer who is free of charge. The locker rooms are nice with changing rooms and showers. There is also a 30 minute express circuit training area. There is also tanning, massage chairs, and a heated hydro massage bed all available for the $20 a month membership. If you don't want to use those three things it is just $10 month to month.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Check out your local branch and see if you like it. Does it have the equipment, classes, amenities, hours, and location that you like? Is the staff friendly, helpful and supportive? Is the place clean?

I used to belong to PF years ago because they had one gym next to my job and another near my home. I was convenient and didn't cost a lot. I just went there for the weights and strength training so I don't even recall what else they had. Since then, I've moved and my job has changed so it's more convenient to workout at home. Bottom line, I can't say anything bad about them. To me it was just a place to move cast iron.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To me, a gym is a gym.

A 35lb weight at one weighs the same 35lbs at another. A working treadmill at one will match a working treadmill at another. A stationary bike...yada, yada, yada.

I have been a member of Planet Fitness, but quit because it was too far away.
    I was a member at some big-boy gyms too as well as the trendy gyms. What never changed was my routine or ability to exercise and lift. Only the scenery and people changed. Why did I quit or move on? Simply to do just that. Needed a change.

You get out what you put into the gym. The gym itself has nothing to do with it. Wherever you go, just try to enjoy it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    To me, a gym is a gym.

A 35lb weight at one weighs the same 35lbs at another. A working treadmill at one will match a working treadmill at another. A stationary bike...yada, yada, yada.

I have been a member of Planet Fitness, but quit because it was too far away.
    I was a member at some big-boy gyms too as well as the trendy gyms. What never changed was my routine or ability to exercise and lift. Only the scenery and people changed. Why did I quit or move on? Simply to do just that. Needed a change.

You get out what you put into the gym. The gym itself has nothing to do with it. Wherever you go, just try to enjoy it.

*end thread*
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Great gym if you are short on money but want to work out (especially for beginners who don't need 100+ lb dbs anyway). Be careful with the "Lunk" alarm though... the last time I was there I damn near killed myself during a set after the lunk alarm went off (not so sure if it was cause of me or someone else).
  • kiely13
    kiely13 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I decided to go with a different gym though - closer to my apartment. :]
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great gym if you are short on money but want to work out (especially for beginners who don't need 100+ lb dbs anyway). Be careful with the "Lunk" alarm though... the last time I was there I damn near killed myself during a set after the lunk alarm went off (not so sure if it was cause of me or someone else).

WTF is a lunk alarm?