dispatches - weight watchers

Options
did any1 watch the dispatches programme on weight watchers in uk? very interesting...

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I wanted to watch it and totally forgot it was on. I'll have to see if I can watch it online or on catch up.
  • NeonRainbow83
    NeonRainbow83 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I watched it but I thought it was quite biased. Although the food nutrients was interesting, I don't buy WW food anyway but shocking to see all the stuff it's packed with!
  • daveymck
    daveymck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-112/episode-7

"Dispatches investigates the UK's largest diet brand: Weight Watchers. Journalist Jane Moore talks to food experts, dieters and scientists to assess just how effective the company's diet plans and food products are, and asks whether they're worth the money."

Although dont need to watch the show to say no they are not worth the money and are just upselling imho.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, I watched that! :smile: It was quite interesting - although I was not that surprised by most of the content. I've attended WW in the past, not with any huge success unfortunately! But a relative of mine lost about 6 stone with them, and is now a leader - she's kept the weight off for about 10 years, so it definitely worked for her!

I do buy a few of their products, because some of them are definitely very low in calories (particularly the fromage frais - under 50 cals per pot, and the ready meals, some of which are only slightly over 200 cals - although I have to pad them out with vegetables!). I don't eat them that often though - only when I'm busy and short of time. Some of the other products are not much different in calorie content from standard alternatives.

I do think they are definitely cashing in on people's weight issues though! But they're not the only ones.

The one thing I did find slightly comforting about the programme is that so many people regain the weight they've lost - yes, I know that's not good for the nation as a whole, but at least it made me believe that I'm not the only one who's done this! :ohwell:
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There is a thread about this on team UK too
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I saw it. I must admit I watched it not being a fan of weight watchers and it was only confirming things I had already thought. It could have been more controversial but it was all quite obvious.

I don't think WW is a terrible program for weight loss, I just think the products are terrible (junk food which is actually rarely much better for you than the normal version and normally full of so much weird crap... they're just smaller portions/padded with water and extra fiber) and that it's so expensive when you can get the same results and advice for free. ProPoints just seems like a way to overcomplicate calorie/nutritional counting so you HAVE to remain a member and then once you quit, you stop counting PP as it's too much effort, and you put weight on. At least calories are a bit simpler.

Sorry. Just needed to rant a little there. At the end of the day it is a better thing to do than many other crash diets.

What shocked me most in the Dispatches program was that it cost that women over £100 per pound lost! Think of all the vegetables she could have bought with that, or maybe even some free weights, running gear and other things needed to get fit. Crazy.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    When was it on? Will it be on iplayer now?
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's on 4oD :)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's on 4oD :)

Perfect! Thanks, I will definitely be watching that. I'm hugely sceptical of weight watchers.
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Watched it, made weight watchers sound like a rip off LOL