Am i crazy? Would you do this?

Options
iulia_maddie
iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
Hello there!
Here's a little backround info before i ask my question.
I was born and raised in Europe. When i was 17 my father got a great job offer in Canada so he moved here, and my mother followed the year after that. I decided to stay home (young, stupid and in love:grumble: ), went to university, and by the time i graduated, there was nothing left for me there so i moved to Canada to be closer to my family.
I came here, got a job, pretty much made a new life. A comfortable life. I make decent money, my job is easy, I have some savings,my family is close etc.

But, this is the best i can do with the schooling i have from back home. And i'm not content, i can do more.
So i will be enrolling in University this year. Bye bye comfortable life, welcome back being perpetually broke for at least 4 years. In a new city where i don't know anyone(again), studying in English, which, as you can probably tell, is not my first language. I will also be close to 30 years old when i graduate.
I guess i am getting cold feet, and some of my friends don't get why i want to do this, since i can already make a living.

So there, now tell me i am not crazy. Just kidding, any opinion or advice welcome.

Replies

• HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You've got to follow your heart. Sometimes that means making the hard choice to leave the comfortable and embark on the difficult.

When I was 25, I was working on my PhD, and everyone expected me to get that degree and get a fancy job. But after years in school I realized I really didn't like what I was doing. So I quit and I worked low paying jobs for a couple of years and worked on my resume and made connections and finally found the job of my dreams. It wasn't what I was originally going to school for, but It is a job I love, find challenging, and feel I am making a difference in the world.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I dropped out of college after one year (I was injured in football early on, and without sports I just didn't want to be there, and had no real direction). My father lost his job, so I went back home and got a blue collar job. I loved the work and continued on in blue-collar jobs for several years. Eventually I got married and wanted to give more towards our future.

In my late 20's, I started going back to school....nights at first, then full-time days and weekends, eventually ended up in law school. So yes, I would do it if that is your desire. I didn't complete my schooling until I was 32. While I'm no longer following a legal career, it has vastly improved my prospects and my upward mobility.

If you are driven and have the desire to do something different or just a general "bettering of self", then I say go for it. Its your life, don't live with a regret you could have avoided.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, and incase you haven't heard, 30 isn't old. If you want to further your education, by all means do so. There's nothing wrong with setting new goals. You never have to settle for less. I say go for it. You know what it takes, the sacrifice and the rewards that come in the aftermath. Don't let anyone tell you different. Especially since you have no obligations to a spouse or children.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think any great gains in your life can not be made until you push yourself OUT of your comfort zone. Until you push yourself, you're not living, your existing.

That's just me, though.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've moved to a new "life" twice... it's really scary. And I'm always thinking about going back to school. But I"m scared of being broke and everything like you just said. But if you feel that's what you need in order to be happy then go for it, girl.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! Life is what you make it and you only get this one shot at it (unless you are a Buddhist, in which case ignore this bit).

I went back to university when I was 25, after having completed training and was working comfortably (not happily) away in a job.
    I graduated when I was 29 and have not looked back. It was a great experience and I am now working in a job that I love, so it was worth being broke for a few more years!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I took 10 years to graduate from college at 28. I was perpetually broke for all those years. Now, I am an engineer doing what I like (somedays) making great money. No, you are not crazy.
  • trishgrace
    Options
    I have a friend that got her Masters Degree in Social Work. She can work pretty much anywhere around here she wants too, she decided she'd rather be a stay at home mom and live off of her husband's salary. They aren't broke, but they have to scrimp and save like most people. But they are HAPPY. You just have to follow your heart and do what makes you happy.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    Knowledge is power, and incase you haven't heard, 30 isn't old. If you want to further your education, by all means do so. There's nothing wrong with setting new goals. You never have to settle for less. I say go for it. You know what it takes, the sacrifice and the rewards that come in the aftermath. Don't let anyone tell you different. Especially since you have no obligations to a spouse or children.

Knowledge IS POWER. Go do it....you will not regret it!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wish I'd gone back to school early enough to be 30 when I finished. If I go back I'll be closer to 40.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I will probably be 34 by the time I finish my PhD, making at least 10 times less than what I can be making right now with my experience, education and knowledge. After living in US for over a decade, I am currently living in a country (Saudia) where "crimes" as such drinking alcohol are punishable by death.

Ask yourself, are your goals worth it. If you think they are, then go for it and do not regret your decision. If you think your education isn't worth it, then don't. I am currently happy making enough money to get me by and that is enough for me.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going back to school to educate yourself!! I say more power to ya!!! I am a 25 year old graduate student and two years ago I had a GREAT savings, a steady job, my own apartment, and could do anything I wanted or buy anything I wanted.

However, I knew there was more so I started grad school. All of my savings went to pay tuition, I now have 60K+ in loans whereas I had 0 before this, and live in a dinky apartment with roommates working part-time for an internship while writing papers.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

But, money does not make happiness....comfort does not equal success. GOOD FOR YOU for going back to school. It is a VERY COURAGOUS thing to do! Im very proud of ya!!

Just remember when you are done with this you will have better education and be able to do what you really want in life!
  • mureddymeyers7
    Options
    Personally, I don't think you are crazy at all. Wanting to do more than you know you are at the moment, isn't a bad thing. Happiness in life is pursued by many people, many different ways. Not to judge others based on what we would do ourselves is a difficult skill to learn. The goals we need to set for ourselves will always differ from our family & friends alike. My husband and I were both working full time while raising our growing family several years ago. I used to manage 2 Subway stores and my husband works in construction/general carpentry. We had 3 children at the time when we decided for me to quite my job and stay home full time with the children. We felt a Calling to remove them from Pubic school and start homeschooling. Everyone thought we were crazy! And still do for the most part! We now have 5 children, on one (low) income. The rewards of following that Calling have brought many rewards. Only my personal opinion, but if you feel like there is "more" and you are able to do it, why not? Who knows, maybe there will be more to your future at school then just the studies? :wink:

P.S. Your English is very good by the way. I never would have guessed that you were from a different country based on your writing skills. I get the feeling that you are much better at some things that you may realize. God bless in your decision! :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My ex Mother-in-law was in her 40's went she started nursing school. She's a comfortably retired RN now. It's never too late.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    First off, I couldn't tell your English wasn't your first language. I've studied a couple other languages and know how much effort it takes to learn. Good job!!!

I don't think it's wrong for you to go back to school. I have a comfortable job too, make decent money and I still think about going back to school for the degree I really wanted. If you were doing this just because you were lazy or didn't want to work, then I'd say suck it up, but you're doing it for you, to be more happy. Do whatever you feel is right. In the end, you're the one its affecting, not all your friends.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Not crazy at all. I went back to college at 38. If you're not happy/content with what you're doing, and you have the power to change it...the real question becomes, why wouldn't you? Be brave, and take ahold of your future!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm with the general consensus, that you really must follow your heart! I didn't even begin University until I ended up a single mom at the age of 33 (the single mom bit happened when I was 32) and graduated when I was 38! I'm so glad I made all the sacrifices for all those years because I LOVE what I do!

I say go for it! Best wishes to you in your endeavors! :)
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have kids or a family to provide for, but if not i say go for it. I'm actually doing something similar, I have nothing tying me down and i'm going to improve my life.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Yes.

Crazy is good.
  • violetcoyne
    Options
    No, you are not crazy. You are bettering yourself. Go for it.