For those who stopped drinking...

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am really glad that the OP posted this.

I am a HUGE fan of wine...I mean, I can put it away. It's how I relaxed after a long day at the office. That said, I would ration my allotted daily calories to include 2-300 at the end of the day so I COULD have my wine and unwind at the end of the day.

Here's what's happening, tho...

I cut back significantly when I started tracking calories again a couple of weeks ago, because tracking makes you aware of how much you REALLY are drinking, so that was an immediate change.

Now I am finding I just don't seem to have the taste for it like I did a couple of weeks ago, which is really bizarre because I LOVE wine. (Did I mention that?)

Exercise relaxes me more than a few glasses of vino ever did (Ermagerd, did I just say that?), and I am finding that I don't really even WANT a second glass, and that I would absolutely prefer a big glass of ice water, instead.

The scale hasn't moved, but then, I'm only a couple weeks in and working out a whole lot more than I'm used to, so I'm ok with that.

After reading everyone's posts, I am feeling pretty good about things, and will keep not sucking down the wine. :flowerforyou:
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it's always good advice to avoid "drinking your calories." It never seems worth it to me.

However, there are drink options out there if you want to keep it low cal. How about rum and diet coke? Or a citrus vodka in diet sprite or fresca (which I -think- is zero-cal, but not positive)... something like that.

For me, drinking is a treat, and something I plan ahead for. If I know I want to have a couple glasses of wine later in the day, I watch my carbs and calories early in day to make it fit. It can be done, and I believe you can still lose weight if you plan (and stick to a plan) with the occasional drink or two.

Though another facet to be aware of is the fact that when people drink, often their inhibitions are lowered, and that can lead to SNACKING on things they wouldn't normally snack on. So, you gotta be careful about that. Have a plan, and STICK to that plan, and you should be fine. You know yourself better than anyone else in the world... figure out what you can handle.
  • joydayval
    Options
    I'm 30 days sober today!

I noticed I'm sleeping MUCH better which means I have more energy to work out. I don't feel bloated or sluggish.

My skin is also really clear too.

I'm snacking more, which I don't like (emotional drinking/emotional eating are basically the same thing) but I'm conscious of it and I stop myself before it gets out of hand.

Congrats on your sobriety!! Keep up the good work sister!! Most people don't understand how hard it is to give up what we love cold turkey until they try ;)
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Short answer... YES!

Longer answer... first of all, you have to count the calories. I drink craft beers that are typically just under 200 calories each. So if I drink 3 of them, that's 600 extra calories in a day. It's hard to maintain a deficit with those kind of numbers.

Second, where there's drink there's always food. So you have to factor that in also.

Third, I do believe alcohol has a negative impact on metabolism - and I tend to have the munchies after I drink which makes it even harder to stay on track.

Like others said, I didn't give up drinking entirely but I cut way, way back - and YES it has definitely helped.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely made a difference for me. I was a heavy drinker, mostly Scotch, Irish whiskey, tequila, and wine...the amount of calories turning to sugar are amazing. Now, I don't at all and probably will not again. My liver is functioning normal again doing its job to keep me healthy.

If you want to see how many calories are in alcoholic beverages, go to www.getdrunknotfat.com.

Works great for me, but that's me and I am willing at this point to go any lengths for my mental and physical well being. But that's me, everyone has their own journey and tend to be an all or nothing guy...so it was with alco.

I sincerely wish you the best and a wise decision for your path, which is yours and no on else's. We all be different. :drinker:
  • cricketpup
    cricketpup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would agree with you.. I love(d) merlot!! Needed it. It made me feel sexy when I poured that wine in my pretty little glass at the end of the day! It made me feel yes girl you congurered yet another day! Now after just starting the journey with out it..although the scale hasn't budged, I don't even like the taste of it anymore.
    I would rather have a cup of hot tea.
    So the sexy glass is put away..and when I do pull it out I fill it with cranberry juice instead. Actually my husband thought I was drinking wine. He said Wow is that your 2nd glass already? I said yes ..of cranberry juice. LOL!
  • mklassy123
    Options

Now I am finding I just don't seem to have the taste for it like I did a couple of weeks ago, which is really bizarre because I LOVE wine. (Did I mention that?)

The scale hasn't moved, but then, I'm only a couple weeks in and working out a whole lot more than I'm used to, so I'm ok with that.

After reading everyone's posts, I am feeling pretty good about things, and will keep not sucking down the wine. :flowerforyou:

I most certainly have not lost my taste for red wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The thing is that now I enjoy it more. One 5 ounce glass (I measure) is fabulous. I savor it. I get an almost buzz from it and it's enough.

As I wrote earlier, the first two weeks of January the scale barely budged. Then I started losing. Then I had a weekend where one day I was horrible. I drank four beers and ate like crap. I gained 1 .5 pounds and it took over a week to drop that added weight. Since then I've had two nights of drinking a glass of wine (ok, one night I had probably one and a half) and the weight is NOW really coming off.

My big issue with wine is that the wines that I love (I won't drink something now if I don't love it) do not come in half bottles. If my boyfriend is here then we can share a bottle in two nights and I can have one glass for two nights. If he's not here, what do I do with the open bottle? It's five glasses. This means I need to either drink wine for five nights (when it's really vinegar for a few of those nights), have more than a glass over three nights to be able to drink wine that's still good, or just not drink it. I choose to not drink it because I don't want to have to drink wine every night. Before MFP, drinking wine every night was NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big drinker to begin with, mostly just when out with friends and so maybe a total of a bottle of wine a week - the issue was the foods I would eat with it! Once I started tracking though I didn't want to waste the calories on the alcohol and I was also more aware of the foods I was eating. I will have a glass of wine here and there, I don't drink beer or cocktails now.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Stopped? Never. Like others I have cut back. Losing this much weight has limited my ability to drink as I am now a lightweight.

If I drink I generally have a beer or glass of wine with dinner. Social drinking not so much as either my wife or I have to drive and I can be the good guy by having keys and I don't have to account for the calories.

We did a pub crawl back in June (about 50 pounds ago). I ran 6 1/2 miles for the calories so I didn't go over my now generous calorie budget but it was all for naught as I left most of my consumed calories splattered all over an alley :sick:

Besides drinking leads to overeating and bad choices so there's the reason to stop at one or maybe 2.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    WOW you guys are doing fantastic! Thanks for all the replies! Staying dry until my bday at the end of Feb. then dry until my vacation to St. Croix in April.

Thanks so much!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories in booze and the loss of inhibitions lead to bad choices and bad eating.
    For the most part, booze doesn't fit in to my macros and its effects don't fit in to my lifestyle.

I'll have a drink when I feel like it, but that's no more than a few times a year.

In direct answer to your question. Yes, it will help you lose weight to stop drinking and help in many other ways as well.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this topic. I am wondering this same very thing as I have become consciously aware, since tracking on MFP, how many calories I consume drinking wine. I LOVE WINE...........................

I had to make a decision to cut down/stop for all the right reasons. Mostly because I started to find myself go into a downward spiral (this is meant for another board). I have engaged MFP more than ever because of this because I am learning more about foods and what is good, what isn't and the power of exercise. I can't achieve any results if I don't make the right choices and limit, possibly exclude alcohol from my life.

I can easily drink 750ml of wine a night, more on weekends. I used to watch my calories and then "go over" at the end of the night because 3 glasses of wine put me over the edge. What was the point of that? I could have eaten those "empty" calories in a more nutritional way.

I am 5 days sober and while I can't promise I'll never drink again (that probably won't happen), I am more interested in doing better things for myself. I'm not hungover and can actually wake up early and get some yoga in, or go to the gym when I can.

I haven't lost any weight but I don't feel as bloated and my clothes actually feel less tight. I am also finding a new hobby to distract me from wanting to drink. I am enrolling in a 10 week Body Blend course for two nights a week that starts in March. I'm also taking a food/nutritional class and walking my first 5K at the end of March.

I couldn't have started all this at a better time. I'm going through a ton of personal strife right now and am finding positive solace in how I can handle this stress by taking care of myself. I am not good to anyone else if I can't be healthy. I have met such wonderful people along the way here!
  • kmd613
    kmd613 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hm...I disagree. I exercise rigorously 7 days a week and drink 2-3 glasses of dry red wine a night. Since I've been doing MFB (about 7 weeks), I've lost exactly a pound a week (my goal) while still having my drinks and staying under my calorie allowance. To each his/her own, I guess!
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this question and the responses. I too, love a glass of wine near the end of the night and was wondering if it affects my weight loss. I plan to not have any during week and save that wine for weekends. Even then, limit myself to one or two glasses. I'll let you know, if I see a difference in couple of weeks.:drinker:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't want to have to log the extra calories. I used to have a glass or two of wine or a beer a few nights a week, and then more on weekends. Now I rarely drink during the week. Occasionally I will have a glass or two on the weekend, but usually only if I'm out somewhere. I rarely have the urge to pour a glass at home anymore. Plus since I get up early to work out, I go to bed earlier and don't have the time.

ETA - I think I gained 10 lbs over the summer just from drinking more than usual. My diet isn't that much different, just way less alcohol.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking almost two years ago (it'll be two on Feb. 8th) and I definitely lost weight without trying. I was drinking about 3 liters of wine everyday so that cut out a significant number of calories.

Happy almost anniversary, I have just over a year myself. I was at about 2 liters a day so I lost weight as well.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Hm...I disagree. I exercise rigorously 7 days a week and drink 2-3 glasses of dry red wine a night. Since I've been doing MFB (about 7 weeks), I've lost exactly a pound a week (my goal) while still having my drinks and staying under my calorie allowance. To each his/her own, I guess!

No question that you can do this. It's just a matter of how you want to spend your calories.
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink since I started on myfitnesspal. I am too obsessed with the calories right now and hate to waste them on alcohol. I will, of course, make an exception for the Super Bowl.

This is my plan too! I joined MFP on Jan 7th and have not had a drink since. I made a goal to not drink ANY alcohol until superbowl. I have lost 6.4 lbs in 3 weeks....slow and stready. I truly believe I would still be at the same start weight if i had been drinking on weekends. Lose during the week, gain back at weekends. Not to mention the cravings that come with a hangover (grease and carbs!!). Now i debating whether to even bother with having any during the superbowl!!!
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I gave up drinking this past for health and BUDGET reasons. I saved so much money, felt healthier, and did notice less bloating in my body and did lose a couple of pounds. I am working out and eating a clean diet so that helps too.

I will say that after no-alcohol january for me I dont find the desire to drink a ton and I have a way low tolerance!!! I gave myself one cheat day for when I went to NYC and it was deadly. so, when you do go back to drinking remember your tolerance is NOT THE SAME.

Good luck! :)

Maybe use the $$ you will save on alcohol in a jar and buy yourself something HOT to wear with that weight loss on your bday! :)
  • MummyTina29
    MummyTina29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Finally a post i was glad to read i have given up drink in the week but i can drink about 10 to 12 vodkas and diet cokes on a Friday night and then again on a Saturday :drinker: i do love a drink and look forward to the weekend so i can put my feet up so i am hoping it wont affect me from losing weight i have only been trying to lose weight for about 3 week :happy: