How Many Suspected or Already Knew This About Biggest Loser

Options

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me but yes, it does seem wrong.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Also notice in the first several episodes that during the weigh in that the women are in sports bras and the men remove their shirts. Then at around the last 6 weeks they are all wearing shirts during the weigh in. Interesting what image they are trying to project by doing this.

I would think anyone would lose weight exercising a min of 6+ hours a day and keeping your calorie in take low.

I would be interested in knowing how many gain the weight back after the show is over and what support system they receive after they have left?
    That has always bugged me, why make them take their shirts off??
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What, what, what?!?! People on tv are trying to make things look better so you'll watch and/or buy their products? Shocking!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It's a TV reality show. It's there for ratings and entertainment and nothing more. No one should believe that the producers give a crap about the contestants.

This is also a good interview with a former BL contestant that sheds a lot of light on what goes on behind the scenes: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

I was looking for the link, and I saw you posted it - this interview is really eye-opening. There are also many contestants who put all the weight back on (or close to it) after the show. There's so much dangerous stuff going on there, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's all about money, sadly.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also notice in the first several episodes that during the weigh in that the women are in sports bras and the men remove their shirts. Then at around the last 6 weeks they are all wearing shirts during the weigh in. Interesting what image they are trying to project by doing this.

I would think anyone would lose weight exercising a min of 6+ hours a day and keeping your calorie in take low.

I would be interested in knowing how many gain the weight back after the show is over and what support system they receive after they have left?

It's because in the later episodes they're wearing Spanx under their clothes to make them look smaller and tighter.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I would imagine its because most of them have so much sagging skin that it looks even more disgusting than just the normal fat
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I love this show, it inspired me to be a better me, I fell victim to buying all the cook books and calorie counter book and all of it, read them all did the biggest loser plan, lost 100lbs. I may not know what goes on on the show but they do inspire a lot of people like me to get into shape, I'm now pregnant and up 25lbs. But as soon as I give birth I'll be back on my biggest loser plan.
  • jrowens3224
    jrowens3224 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's a TV reality show. It's there for ratings and entertainment and nothing more. No one should believe that the producers give a crap about the contestants.

This is also a good interview with a former BL contestant that sheds a lot of light on what goes on behind the scenes: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Holy cow. I figured that it was pretty rigged, but that is just inhumane.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I dont buy it.. Im disgusted when i hear people saying TV is fake. How dare you claim that the biggest loser is not 100% true, and honorable.. the next thing you will try to make me believe is that those guys from pawn stars are NOT experts in every object known to man, or that Barney is NOT a magical dinosaur that comes to life because children love him (and of course does not eat the children.. that would suck)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I knew/suspected some of what was in this interview, but reading that made me realize that it was worse than I had thought/known. I had always suspected that their "weeks" weren't always 7 days. I've also heard that after the finale a lot of them gain it back because they were so secluded during the weight loss, and even if they left early they knew they would have to go on tv at the finale. It's great that the finale gave them a goal and helped them lose weight, but once that event is over then they have nothing to push themselves (because some never actually learn how to take care of themselves in their actual lives) and they gain the weight back.

And now I understand why Caroline Rhea left the show. I'm glad she stood up for the contestants and yelled at the people who blew up those "before" pictures of the contestants.
  • Teysa
    Teysa Posts: 26
    Options
    haven't read the interview yet but wow, if they do all that then it's kind of a miracle that no one has died because of that show yet.

Of course the show can encourage people to lose weight and all that, but all that excess skin doesn't fall off magically as many people need surgery to get it off the way.

What about extreme makeover weight loss edition?
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Plus! It must not be that bad when some of the contestants choose to stay behind and become personal trainers at the ranch. During the off seasons at the show for people who pay to be there.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    They should make "the biggest fat *kitten*" and film skinny nerds down stacks of pizzas and hamburgers on their quest to be the fattest ****s ever.
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with the show. I love that i get motivated while and after watching even if fake. It makes me want to go workout or be better. What is hate most is the backlash they give each other for not losing "enough" How many people you know would be UPSET about losing 9 lbs in a week?! REALLY?! I know its for TV and drama, but people in the real world are taking this serious and losing 2lb, heck losing .5lbs, every week for a long period of time is something that should be commended.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think people need to take the show with a grain of salt. Many have lost sight that it is TV, and that they need to do things like this for shock factor. I mean, any plan cannot be good if you have to have a team of doctors monitoring you 24/7.

That being said though, the basic premise is to make people realize the unhealthy habits and bring the obesity problem to light. I did find the show motivating, as I did have a lot of unhealthy habits and needed to begin my journey to lose over 100 pounds. You can't take the show too seriously though...
  • haroldz123
    haroldz123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    After reading the article, i realized that all the contestants dun have enuff recovery time.

Working out when injured is a big no-no
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I knew this already. Won't change my mind about the show, I already hated it and think it's stupid. That is of course, unless I somehow get to be on it one day. Then I'll love it, until then, boo hiss!! Down with the bad show!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree with DavPul. I already knew that biggest loser is a very unhealthy weight loss game show (and all the many unhealthy things they put people through).

And I've also seen the video that a fit guy did showing how body builders can do before/after shots of themselves with fakery for selling weight loss scams. Here it is: http://youtu.be/M957dACQyfU

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO WATCH THAT VIDEO BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BEACHBODY OR JILLIAN DVD

Not all Beachbody DVD's before and afters are faked. I know this for a fact as I was one of the before/after pictures used in a P90X ad back in 2008, and the pictures were untouched and taken by my current but now ex-from-Hell boyfriend, lol.

But I would agree with this had you said that it only refers to the people in the workout videos or the original professional ads.

BEACHBODY is not fake at all! They pride themselves on using real pictures. I should know also because I won their 10,000 dollar success story prize November 2007- my story is 100 percent real.

That being said- I hate TBL TV show because it is so incredibly unrealistic and people do NOT get that it is NOT healthy nor normal to lose 25 lbs in one week.

I lost 127lbs with beachbody products- they didn't do anything with my pics or my story- which is 100 percent true.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    But I love this show :( hahah. As long as it's inspiring me, fake or not, oh well!

Same here...^^^^
  • Ginger_Gal
    Ginger_Gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My problem with TBL is these people are at fat camp. It's unrealistic. If I was able to go away, have a personal trainer and all the time in the world to focus, then you would see drastic changes in me too.They have no external stresses, work, spouses, kids. I would like this show more if it were people living there everyday lives, making changes and losing weight. Show me the person who is working a full time job, picking kids up from school, going to soccer practice and finding time to go to the gym. Show me real world solutions working.