Can I get some constructive criticism please?

Options
Also, note the word CONSTRUCTIVE. Okay, been here a month, give or take a day. MFP originally had me set at 1400 cals per day then dropped to 1380 on day 15. I lost 5 pounds that first week. Yay! But since then, I have yet to lose an ounce. I'm not too stressed about it, simply because I didn't get fat overnight so I don't expect to wake up skinny. I am thinking I may need to change it up a little but not sure where to go. Either up with the cals or down. In all honesty, I have a difficult time eating the 1380 I am required. Most days, I do well but of course, if you look at my diary, you will see days that I am way over or way under. I don't believe I am in "starvation mode" because 1. I've only been at this a month. Pretty sure it takes a tad longer then that to be in real starvation mode. and 2. There is PLENTY of fat for my body to eat before it starves. lol. I work out when I can but at least 3 times a week. Sometimes more, less seldom less. I go for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. Usually elliptical and I work hard enough to where I think I am on the verge of a heart attack. (p.s. I HATE exercise but I know it's part of it.) I work midnight shift so sometimes it's difficult to get to the gym because of their ridiculous hours so I will work out at home.

I am 37 years old. Started at 189 lbs and am now 184. My job is completely sedentary as I am a dispatcher 40 hours a week. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Leigh012976
    Options
    I could have written that!!! I don't have any advice since I am struggling myself. But just wanted to say hi and to not give up. You are right. We didn't get fat over night so we won't get skinny that way either. Its a lifestyle change that is for sure.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Figure the correct number you should be eating from the link above.

Also you need to be more consistent with your eating, if your way over or way under try to be dead on, get a food scale, exercise, and give your body time to adjust.. and just cause you have alot of fat to lose, doesnt mean having huge deficits will make your body eat that fat off.. you can be in a plateau and be 60 lbs overweight.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when MFP dropped my calories. I found that by returning to my original calories set, I made more progress. The fluctuation you describe in your diet from day to day may also contribute to that. If you stick to the daily allotment of calories more closely, this may yield better results. Also, are you weighing your food? Weighing food is the only way to ensure you are entering the right amounts in. I found that before I got a food scale, I was estimating way off what I should have for a 'serving size' of things like chicken, sweet potatos, fruits, veggies, etc. Lastly, your body may be adapting to the same exercise regimen. Try switching it up with different exercises, weights, etc. Good luck.
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I had a plateau that last for a whole year! It was only a number on the scale granted but its still discouraging. The biggest thing I did was changed everything I did. The food I ate and the workout I did... the times I did it. I have learned that my body get used to things I give i QUICKLY. IMO you have to throw your body curve balls. You do elliptical at the time? Time to try running or stairmaster. You eat yogurt all the time, time to try cottage cheese. May not be the solution... but just something I noticed help me!

Hope this helps!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Figure the correct number you should be eating from the link above.

Also you need to be more consistent with your eating, if your way over or way under try to be dead on, get a food scale, exercise, and give your body time to adjust.. and just cause you have alot of fat to lose, doesnt mean having huge deficits will make your body eat that fat off.. you can be in a plateau and be 60 lbs overweight.
    [/quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think consistency with your daily eating will help you out tremendously. I also think you should switch up your workout regimen. Make sure the calories you are adding back in are as accurate as you can be, under estimate instead if necessary.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Try keeping an accurate diary before asking for advice. You can not get accurate advice if you are not being honest with your diary.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I hit my 1st plateau I made a commitment to start eating more often. I broke my calorie intake up into 5 meals a day instead of 3. If you eat more regularly your metabolism will speed up.

Also, how is your water intake? If you are not hitting 8 glasses of pure water a day, I would recommend setting that as your 1st goal for February
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old attorney who spends most of his time at his desk (I usually do 10+ hours a day/60+ a week). While at my desk at work, I lift weights. It's not much, but it's better than nothing and it's toning my arms. I don't count it as exercise on MFP, but I believe it's making a difference re: Calorie burn. When I get home in the evening, I park my car, walk around the block, and then go inside. The block walk only takes me around 12 minutes and, like the weight lifting, isn't much, but again, like the weight lifting, I figure something is better than nothing. The other things I do is park in the far end of the parking lot when I go to the grocery (or any other ) store, take more trips than necessary when I'm unloading my car after shopping (or when I'm putting things away in the house, e.g., even though I could take an armful of crap upstairs, I take a few pieces at a time, thus turning one trip up the stairs into three, etc.).

Anyway, I try to do little things like that, drink more than the recommended amount of water, and stick under my calorie count. Result: I'm losing slowly...but I'm losing.

Good luck...you can do it! :)
  • starlightsparrow
    Options
    I would say first of all to make sure you are being consistent with your eating. try to stick as close to your calorie goal as possible, loading up on complex carbs, veggies, and lean meats. next, i would say make sure you are working out at least 4 times a week minimum, if not 5 or 6 days, doing HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training). You can look that up to get ideas of workouts, but doing 20-30 minutes of HIIT is better than walking or jogging for an hour. I also sit at a desk all day...and i know it seems silly but getting up every half hour and doing 30 jumping jacks is a good way to stretch out and get a little extra exercise in throughout the day :) I wish you the best!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    When I hit my 1st plateau I made a commitment to start eating more often. I broke my calorie intake up into 5 meals a day instead of 3. If you eat more regularly your metabolism will speed up.

Also, how is your water intake? If you are not hitting 8 glasses of pure water a day, I would recommend setting that as your 1st goal for February

Good call. Five meals of 300 calories a piece (or whatever your breakdown is) is better than three meals of 500 calories a piece. I'm a believer!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Good call. Five meals of 300 calories a piece (or whatever your breakdown is) is better than three meals of 500 calories a piece. I'm a believer!

I am sorry but meal frequency is completely irrelevant to weight loss.

"We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

OP, what I would suggest is being a bit more consistent with your calories. Some days you are 800 calories, some days you are 1600 calories, while your average might be around 1200-1300. In the end, it might be too low. i would suggest increasing proteins and fats if you can. Reducing carbs can help with some water retention but more importantly, protein reducing muscle catabolizaiton. Also, if possible, incorporate resistance training. This can be body weight exercising like dips, push ups, sit ups, etc.. or use weights or resistance bands. Also, since you don't have that much to lose, it would probably be better to set your goal to 1 lb per week.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    i dont know about the calorie intake , cos its different from person to person. I have lost with 1200 calories a day and with 1500 calories. With a low calorie diet i loose faster but after some time i stop loosing , i also gain the weight easier.
    Maybe its not about how many calories u eat , but what u eat.
    What ive noticed is that eating vitamins helped me to loose weight . I dislike fruits, so instead of that i drink as much 100 per cent juice as possible, and eat alot of vegetables.
    Its also good to eat / drink alot of calcium and vitamine B12.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Increase your vegitables and fiber. You will get to eat more food, and process what you do eat more efficently. Try a whole bell pepper in a meal, not just 2 strips.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    english is my second language and i didnt take alot of time to make sure it was in correct but i hope u can understand
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't have criticism, because I think you are doing great with sticking to your plan, but rather a suggestions. It could be that your muscle gain equals your fat loss and you don't see difference on scale. How do you feel? Do you feel more fit?

I looked at your food diary and saw that you do not have meal for breakfast just coffee. It is very important to get a good amount of protein for breakfast because it will keep you feeling full for most of the day and will give your body energy. Some options would be
    - egg(s) and slice(s) of quality wheat bread. Look in freezer section for all natural organic bread like Ezikiel Bread if your bakery does not have that option.
    - greek yogurt and some granola cereal in it
    - turkey bacon and egg
    - fruit, yogurt smoothie with protein powder

Make breakfast your power meal because you will need & work off that energy during your day, and make your dinner light - grains like quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, with veggies, fruit, lean meat or fish. You don't need bunch of calories at night to sleep on. I have seen some woman who I have friended here and are in really fantastic shape eat their calories during two meals and skip one - lunch or dinner depending on their schedule.

It is also a good rule to eat your dinner no later than 3 hours before bedtime.

Have you seen this documentary on weight loss? About an hour long and worth every minute.
    http://documentaryheaven.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight/
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just some tips I learned along the way:

1. When I'm stuck, I have more success when I raise my calories as opposed to lower them. With that being said, I'm exercising about 6 days a week and I wasn't properly fueling my body so I would hit these super long plateaus on 1350 cals and not have any idea what the problem was. As soon as I bumped up my cals, I started losing again. In sum, eat more and exercise more.

2. Be ridiculously honest with your diary. Get into the habit of measuring everything and weighing everything on a food scale. Your SO will roll their eyes when you measure your dinner before you eat it, but ignore!!! It's worth it! You'd be surprised at how much you can midjudge the calories in something by "eyeballing" it.

3. Strength training yields much greater results (weight loss and reshaping your body) than ellipticalling to nowhere.

4. You already lost 5lbs this month. That is incredible! I have been losing weight for 8 months now, and when I average it out, I lost 3.3lbs per month. 6 of the total 27 lbs I lost was during my first week, so the average is even lower. You will get impatient. You will get on the scale and see a gain or no change and be like WTF I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT!!! You will w/ant to give up because "it's not working". Yes it is. If you're being honest with your food diary and working out, it's working. Give it time.

5. Last but not least, stick around MFP. I noticed along the way that when I forgot to log a day or two or didn't look at any of my friend's activities, it was tough to get back into it. My friends list seriously attributes to about 90% of my success with weight loss. They were there for me on bad days, on good days, and just whenever I needed to vent. I have support in my real life too, but there's something about the support of people that are going through the same thing you are that really carries you through.

I hope I helped a little. Basically the most important things are to be honest with your food diary and be patient. The rest falls into place. Good luck. :)

ETA: I forgot one more thing. Treat yourself once in a while. Remember what I said about this not being a race? A reason for that is because you need to be human every now and then and have a big ol' bowl of ice cream. If you can fit it into your calories for the day, awesome. If not, see if you can fit it into your weekly calorie goal, or do some extra exercise. If you have a really high calorie day, oh well! Move on. Don't give up from one bad day. You're only human.
  • FestusB
    Options
    It is pain at first...but a food scale really helps. I was not guessing the right amount of calories to add before my food scale. Good luck, you can do it!