1200 cal a day

Options
Hi I Need some help i'm starting over on MFP after haveing a Baby 10-31-12 need suggestions food tips ect & new friends too to help encourage me thanks:)

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Go over to fat2fitradio/tools and do the military calculations. They're an eye opener. I've been on 1200 calorie for more than a month now, not losing any weight, and discovered that I've lost lean body mass since I first did these calculations in September (but chose "lose 2 pounds per week on MFP" and got 1200 calories). This is not good; not good at all.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Go over to fat2fitradio/tools and do the calculations. They're an eye opener. I've been on 1200 calorie for more than a month now, not losing any weight, and discovered that I've lost lean body mass since I first did these calculations in September. That is not good; not good at all.

yup. 1200 doesn't work.

why are there so many posts every day about this number? MFP needs to fix that in their calculations... it's screwing people over.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Please eat any and all workout calories you get if you stay at 1200 (and I don't recommend it).
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hi I Need some help i'm starting over on MFP after haveing a Baby 10-31-12 need suggestions food tips ect & new friends too to help encourage me thanks:)
    MFP is presuming you are exercising and eating back those calories you earnt from exercise. 1200 cals a day is only suitable for a minority of people (very sedatory, very petite, doctor advised).
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If you are, then you should be eating more than 1200 cal/day. If you want to lose baby weight, eat less than TDEE.
  • Divamomma
    Divamomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was recomended by doc to do1200 cals with exercise ... i decided to quite breastfeeding not produceing /pumping enough i did my best so I decided to loseweight & be healthy for myself my 2 kids & hubby i'm tierd of being 212lbs :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you do want to lose weight and continue to BF then you will need to increase your calories for sure!

Doctors don't always know what will be correct for you they make a starting base and adjust. My suggestion is to find out your BMR (minimum) and TDEE minus (10-20)% (maximum) and eat between the two. I would think TDEE-10% with BF would be a good enough difference to lose weight steadily but not too quickly.

You need to be eating enough food to produce milk so I bet if you eat more you will produce more.

Also I was at 214lbs after I had my daughter and following a healthy eating plan alone without extra exercise and I did BF I lost the first 40lbs of my weight in about 6 or 7 months.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Go over to fat2fitradio/tools and do the calculations. They're an eye opener. I've been on 1200 calorie for more than a month now, not losing any weight, and discovered that I've lost lean body mass since I first did these calculations in September. That is not good; not good at all.

yup. 1200 doesn't work.

why are there so many posts every day about this number? MFP needs to fix that in their calculations... it's screwing people over.
    Um, it CAN work, it depends on the person - mostly smaller, shorter women that are sedentary.
    Haven't you read the 9 million other threads on this topic?
  • rileychica
    Options
    MightyDomo gave you some pretty solid advice, i wholeheartedly agree. I just wanted to add that I'm 5'9.5" and I've been following the 1, 200 plan with great results. I do eat the extra calories I've earned from exercise. I've been monitoring my weight for 5 weeks, so the weight loss is aggressive.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was recomended by doc to do1200 cals with exercise ... i decided to quite breastfeeding not produceing /pumping enough i did my best so I decided to loseweight & be healthy for myself my 2 kids & hubby i'm tierd of being 212lbs :)

you don't have to quit breastfeeding to start losing weight. If you stopped due to pumping etc issues, then that's a totally different thing and of course it's totally your decision and you don't have to justify it to anyone whatever you decide.

However it's safe to lose fat slowly and steadily while breastfeeding, just ensure you're eating enough healthy, nutritious food and enough calories to support your body, activity levels and milk supply while doing so, i.e. not trying to lose the weight quickly. I breastfed both mine and lost weight while doing so.