Self Sabatoge and sabatoging my family

Options
ARGH!!! Maybe if I see it in writing I will stop. My family consists of me, my husband, 12 year old daughter, and 18 month old son.
I have struggled with food and weight my whole life and I am beginning to see all my bad habits starting to form in my daughter. I told myself that I was going to start eating healthier and having my family eat healthier (hell, I am the one who cooks so it's my fault for what they put in their bodies). My husband can eat anything he wants and will not gain a pound (he is extremely active though). I started the "new lifestyle" at the first of the year. I made up my mind that this was the year we get everyone's eating under control, eating the right foods, maintaining an active lifestyle (heck, we live on a couple of acres so there is lots to do). I make out a grocery list every week. And every week I go above what I had on my list. I get all the WIC stuff (milk, cheese, eggs, bread, and $6 worth of fruits and veggies) and then BOOM!!! My shopping takes a drastic turn. I let my son snack on cheerios and those fish crackers. So, okay I pick those up for him. Well, my daughter sometimes takes her lunch to school. What can I pick up for her? Bologna, chips, and a fruit drink. Oh wait, she needs a snack for her lunch. Cookies. My husband likes to have a bowl of ice cream after dinner. Ok, pick up his favorite. But wait, if our daughter sees him eating ice cream she will want some too. I pick up her favorite. She has volleyball or band this week. Dinner will be late. So need something easy. McDonalds or fried chicken patty sandwiches.

I am still making all these horrible mistakes. Does anyone else struggle with this? I am drinking more water and my pop is down to 1 a day. But if you look at my food journals, I meet my calorie goals but look at what I eat. Example; I had a pulled pork sandwich and au gratin potatoes for lunch. That can't be good. I can adjust the rest of my day to meet my goal, but maybe I am not being totally honest, or I just don''t know what's in a serving size.

Replies

• april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Maybe you should see a nutritionist or dietitian? Or get some ideas from some books? I grew up not having a clue about food, (very fat as a result) and I joined weight watchers in my 20's. It helped me enormously--no pun intended. Know your enemy in a way.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    I thought about seeing a nutritionist. My mom joined WW a few years ago. I didn't join but she let me copy her food journal and borrow her points book. So, roughly I know how many points I can have in terms of WW. I just don't get food sometimes, maybe never did. I grew up on a budget so it was fish sticks and hamburger helper.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a 'clean plate' house. We had dessert every night, always had cookies, pop, chips, candy, sugary cereals around (my mom at the time would drink a 12 pake of coke or more a day)...

looking I never understood how we could be 'poor' (poor being relative compared to the people we lived around) and still have all that junk food in the house. Breakfast was sugary cereal, lunch was a lot of bologna or PBJ with a fruit, little debbie snack cakes, chips and $ for milk, dinner was pastas, spaghetti-os hot dogs, hamburgers, spam burgers, english muffin pizzas....to my parents a veggie was a side salad of iceburg lettuce.

You should see a nutritionist, and see what you can do to pick healthier options. (They do have food classes for WIC right? At least they used to.)

For nights you know you have a late dinner, try a crock pot (prep night before and plug in in morening b4 you leave), or what I do is prep portions of my meals the night before (I'm already cutting veggies/what not for dinner tonight....mine as well add a couple more mins chopping to have it ready for tomorrow too). Also on weekends I'll do large meals and freeze leftovers. Pop out a pre-cooked meat loaf, defrost, serve with baked potato and steamed veg.

Look online at places like Eating well amd Cooking Light, even FoodTV or Epicurious.com for 30-min meal ideas. Library may also have books. Have a stable of quick meal ideas ready and on hand...amke sure they incorporate 'staple' foods that you'd likely have on had (or substitue).

For the 'junk food' 1) don't buy it, 2) limit how often you buy it or 3) switch what you buy. I found not having the junk snacks in the house for easy access (....meaning if I want cookies I have to make them) really cuts down on how often I eat them. Also, limiting how often you go to the grocery store limits how often you will pick up the extras. We shop once a month, then run in on the way home from work if we ran out of milk/eggs.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Jaulen, that is really good advice. I have often thought about not buying the junk food anymore and making cookies if they want a snack.I have also thought about going to the store for dinner every day, but that would get old real fast. I don't know if I could go once a month. I know how much I have budgeted a month for groceries, but getting that to gel with a certain week in a month that I don't have bills do and spend my paycheck on just groceries would be hard.
  • Jaulen
    Options
    I get paid monthly. So we budget on a monthly basis. (man was that hard to learn when I went from weekly/bi weekly paychecks.)

I love my rice cooker. The 'long time to cook' rice is cheaper than instant (price per weight baisis)....if I make rice for dinner, I'll usually cook extra and then freeze the rest...instant rice for a day I'm running short on time.

I'd never be able to swing the 'go to store every day' thing. 1) Time sink, 2) more opportunities to buy 'junk' (more opportunities = harder on the willpower to say no, and the more hits to my willpower the more likely I am to cave)
  • Dxtreme45
    Options
    Hi Leigh.

One thing you have to stop doing is beating yourself up. You have only been doing this for less than a month. This is not a diet you are going on. This is just what you said it would be, "A Lifestyle Change," which means its going to take some getting use to.

Be proud of yourself for slowing down on your soda intake. Began removing/swapping out foods weekly. Pick something that you know is wrong for you and give yourself 30 days to get rid of it, but do it on a day by day basis. I've often heard that it takes 30 days form a habit.

Darren Hardy, author of "The Compound Effect," suggest buying a tablet small enough to keep in your purse, and every time you eat something, doesn't matter what, you write it down in that tablet. According to him, you get to the point where you don't want to go through the problem of pulling that tablet out every time you eat something, so you'll skip it. Its a very motivational book. I have been personally been trying this, and it seems to work for me. I keep my tablet on my desk while I'm at work. If I eat anything that is not on my planned list, I add it to my tablet as well right then and there. Going back over the days foods that I've eaten can sometimes be embarrassing, but it pushes me to do better the next day.

Do you grocery shop on an empty stomach? If so, STOP! Make sure that you eat BEFORE going to the grocery store, that helps me. If I go in on an empty stomach, I tend to pick up everything I want, rather than shopping for what I need. Also, try staying on the parameter of the store. If you notice, whichever grocery store you go to, all of your healthy foods are on the outside surrounding all of the process foods. There are times when going inside the aisles are unavoidable, but there are very few healthy food aisles inside.

If you have completed your shopping, why are you buying dinner at Mccy Ds? Websites like Eatingwell.com and SparkPeople.com have quick healthy meal recipes you could use to prepare meals throughout the week.. If you can make yourself prep your meals on the weekends, it might help a lot throughout the week as well. Prepare you fish and chicken in batches so all you have to do is pull it out the fridge and heat it up.

You can swap her bologna out for lite bologna, deli ham, turkey and chicken. Buy the 100 cal cookie packs. Maybe you could talk to your husband about waiting until she goes to bed before eating ice cream if his eating it triggers her desire for it. Maybe you can talk him out of it period... Just a thought on that last one.

I'm not a dietician or nutritionist. Most of what I've typed is pure opinion and personal experience. I hope I have been of some assistance to you.

Peggy

I'm sorry, I didn't read all of the wonderful replies before adding my 2 cents to the purse.
  • Jaulen
    Options
    Hi Leigh.

One thing you have to stop doing is beating yourself up. You have only been doing this for less than a month. This is not a diet you are going on. This is just what you said it would be, "A Lifestyle Change," which means its going to take some getting use to.

Be proud of yourself for slowing down on your soda intake. Began removing/swapping out foods weekly. Pick something that you know is wrong for you and give yourself 30 days to get rid of it, but do it on a day by day basis. I've often heard that it takes 30 days form a habit.

Peggy

^ I second this too :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids in school and lunches look like this:

1 sandwich or wrap with either tuna salad, egg salad, deli meat, cream cheese, chicken salad (peanut butter isn't allowed because some kids have allergies)
    1 juice box - it's the only juice they drink in the day and usually it's pure fruit juice: apple, orange or a mixed one. Occasionally I'll treat them to a Five Alive or Iced Tea
    1 or 2 pieces of fruit or veggies: carrot sticks and an apple, or a banana and an orange (bigger kids have 2)
    1 dairy something - yogurt or a cheese string
    1 junky snacky thing e.g. crackers, granola bar, rice crispy treat, cookie, rice cakes

After school snacks are usually 3 food groups:

Fruit, nuts, milk
    Fruit, crackers, cheese, water
    Celery with peanut butter, milk
    etc.

The kids will have maybe hot dogs or pizza or fish sticks 1-2 times a week on busy nights. The rest of the time our evening meals are meat, starch, veggies and milk. Desserts are 2-3 times a week maybe... depends on what other sweets they may have had during the day.

EDIT: The other thing to remember is that you must set a reasonable goal. You can't go from eating junk to being healthy by suddenly restricting to 1200 calories. Set your MFP goal to lose 1/2 a pound weekly. Then just try and stick to that. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Once you get a handle on that, you could drop your goal to lose 1 lb/week. You have to make this manageable. It's hard when you're a busy mom and wife and have a billion other responsibilities (esp. with a toddler!) So go easy on yourself. Learn from your mistakes. Adjust. Keep going. You can do this.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids in school and lunches look like this:

1 sandwich or wrap with either tuna salad, egg salad, deli meat, cream cheese, chicken salad (peanut butter isn't allowed because some kids have allergies)
    1 juice box - it's the only juice they drink in the day and usually it's pure fruit juice: apple, orange or a mixed one. Occasionally I'll treat them to a Five Alive or Iced Tea
    1 or 2 pieces of fruit or veggies: carrot sticks and an apple, or a banana and an orange (bigger kids have 2)
    1 dairy something - yogurt or a cheese string
    1 junky snacky thing e.g. crackers, granola bar, rice crispy treat, cookie, rice cakes

After school snacks are usually 3 food groups:

Fruit, nuts, milk
    Fruit, crackers, cheese, water
    Celery with peanut butter, milk
    etc.

The kids will have maybe hot dogs or pizza or fish sticks 1-2 times a week on busy nights. The rest of the time our evening meals are meat, starch, veggies and milk. Desserts are 2-3 times a week maybe... depends on what other sweets they may have had during the day.

EDIT: The other thing to remember is that you must set a reasonable goal. You can't go from eating junk to being healthy by suddenly restricting to 1200 calories. Set your MFP goal to lose 1/2 a pound weekly. Then just try and stick to that. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Once you get a handle on that, you could drop your goal to lose 1 lb/week. You have to make this manageable. It's hard when you're a busy mom and wife and have a billion other responsibilities (esp. with a toddler!) So go easy on yourself. Learn from your mistakes. Adjust. Keep going. You can do this.

^^^ ditto this and I have 3 kids (2 in school) and my kids have a VERY similar menu and eating habits.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Peggy, Thank you so much for your wonderful words. McD's used to be an every week thing. Since January 1, we haven't eaten there. I do do the crockpot thing. I absolutely love my crockpot. I have pondered making Sundays, after church, the day I cook for the week and label and freeze. That hasn't happened yet, but would like to.

Mr big, those are good ideas for her lunches. I doubt I could get her to eat tuna or egg salad, but I like the wrap idea and deli meat. I will def. give that a try. I get the whole wheat wraps on WIC once a month.

Jaulen, yea, with a 12 year old and a 1 year old who needs picked up from school and the babysitters, I doubt I would be even able to go to the store every day.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say it's great to see all the wonderful advice! I'm lucky in that my son enjoys relatively healthy stuff, but he is only 6. Thank you so much PP for suggesting eatingwell.com! They have a whole section of $3 weeknight meals, just what I've been (unsuccessfully) searching around the web all day to find!
  • ButterButtLou
    Options
    Hi Leigh,
    I struggle with portion size too. I have found a pyrex measuring cup and a cheap food scale are wicked helpful for me. I make my plate by measuring out my portions before I call the family to dinner. I think my son sometimes judges appropriate servings to start with by what my plate looks like. The scale helps with measuring meat portions. I know it is a hassle but when I stop measuring, my weight starts to creep back up.
    Apples are my friends. I slice them up and dip them into light vanilla yogurt and it is yummy yummy. Your kids would probably like that too. They are good cubed in salads and they make a great side dish lightly stewed with vanilla and sweetener like stevia or truvia. You can even add a touch of butter if you have the calories for it.
    Get your kids to make smoothies instead of eating ice cream. You can have a contest to see who makes the best one. Just use fruit, ice (if your fruit is fresh) and almond milk. You can use regular milk too, but I like the flavor of the almond milk. Makes a great grab and go breakfast too.
    When my son was little, we always had a contest to see who could make the biggest crunch with raw baby carrots. He would eat them one right after another trying to win. He is a teenager and we are still having those contests.
    A big ole pot of chili makes a nice meal. Beans are good for us calorie/ nutrition/budget watchers. Stretch by serving with brown rice. Make it in the crock pot ahead of time. You can make it fun with a toppings bar.
    Stay with it. The rewards of a healthy family are well worth it!
    If you in are in a county with and Extension Agent, they may have tons of resources about nutrition and getting kids (and husbands) to eat healthy.
  • tylerwyman
    Options
    I have the same problem. Almost every memory I have from growing up has food associated with it. I don't eat for the taste or because I am hungry, I eat for comfort. To feel happy. To remember the few good times in my life. The worst my life gets, and believe me it has gotten bad lately, the worst the urge is. Its hard to think about long term goals when I am just trying to get to the end of the day. I fail just as much as I succeed. The important part is I keep trying. That’s what is important. I am not one for euphemisms, I actually hate them and think people use them to make themselves feel superior, but falling down, picking yourself up , dusting yourself off and trying again is the only way I have seen even a little success. It’s when you give up that it gets bad. Give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. Don’t beat yourself up. Keep trying. Someday it will stick. Think about this, the most successful people in the world have failed way more than other people. The difference between them is they keep trying and are not afraid to keep going. Find your motivator, your kids or your living long enough to see your grand kids, and put it in front of you. The good news is you normal. There is nothing wrong with you.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My husband and I keep a monthly dry erase calendar on our fridge. It has everything on it that we have scheduled for the month. We make our menu out writing it on the same calendar so that we can see everything at a glance and do our shopping each Sunday for the week. With our appts, events, and everything on the calendar we are able to adjust our meals. We can see what nights we need to have something quick and easy and what nights we can have a meal together. By planning our meals and eating breakfast before we go to the store, we aren't hungry (and 1/2 the time that junk food doesn't even tempt me), and are able to stick to our list.

We have found some swaps that we can make for the ones that we just can't live without. Have you tried the new Special K Cracker Crisps? They come in various flavors and are really good. You get 27 chips for 110 calories. Is almost a sandwich bag full of chips. Rice A Roni is now making individual servings of a few of their different varities. This works for us because if there is more there to eat we will eat it, but if we each get our own serving, then we are done and happy. Velveeta is also doing the same thing with their shells and cheese. They even do this in the 2%. Both the Rice A Roni and Mac N Cheese are yummy and microwave in about 3 - 31/2 minutes. Try the skinny cow individual sandwiches. They taste good, and again are individual servings instead of having to make bowls and add all the toppings to it as well.

With all of this said, its not to say that we don't sometimes get our nights screwed up by something or other, but the best you can do is make the best of it. Keep pita bread, lunchmeat, and such on hand and have a grilled cheese sandwich with some soup (especially in the winter). The crockpot is also a good resource. You can put any number of things in it, let it cook, and then when you get home, just serve it up and enjoy. Another option might be a foreman. It tends to cook things a little faster than the stove, so even a bad night doesn't have to go bad meal wise.

All the advice I have read from others here is really good as well. Remember it is a Lifestyle change, not a diet, and you are bound to fall off the wagon every once in a while. The point is to get back on track at the next meal. Congratulations on the soda cut down as well. That should help. Also don't forget to drink your water.

No matter what happens, keep you chin up. You can do this. Good luck.:smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    (hell, I am the one who cooks so it's my fault for what they put in their bodies).

Um no. There's another adult in your home: Your husband. His example and habits are just as important as yours.

Y'all should sit down and get on the same page about this. Maybe sit down every weekend and figure out a menu for the coming week, then go shopping together. Make this effort a partnership instead of a solitary struggle and it'll go much smoother, especially if you put up a united front with your kids. Find a solution that you can both be happy with, and be each other's support system. Y'all are MARRIED. It's rather important that the nutritional well-being of your family is a joint effort.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I like many of the posters think you are being too hard on yourself. Letting your 18 month old snack on cheerios and goldfish sounds great to me maybe start adding cut up veggies and fruit or some cheese slices w/ his snacks. Might be a good idea if you are a stay at home mom to designate a snack time for him. Your daughters lunch sounds fine will she eat any other meats like ham, turkey, roast beef, or even a veggie buger? Snacks just replace the cookies w/ similar snacks that you are doing for your 18 mo I would think a nice slice of cheese w/ some triscuits or a slice of deli meat would be nice. Ice cream if the hubby wants it he needs to start buying it. Talk to him let him know you are worried that your daughter might get into the same habits and how much of a struggle it will be for her later on. Maybe he can have his treat after she goes to bed.

Youre really trying congrats on reducing the going out to eat. For those unplanned days when everyone is running late would it be possible to keep some leftovers or frozen meals on hand for a quick heat up?

Keep up the hard work everyday you are a consistent mama and your teaching your babies to approach food in a healtful respectful manner will give them the foundation for a healthy relationship with food and their bodies.

Good job Mama!
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    (hell, I am the one who cooks so it's my fault for what they put in their bodies).

Um no. There's another adult in your home: Your husband. His example and habits are just as important as yours.

Y'all should sit down and get on the same page about this. Maybe sit down every weekend and figure out a menu for the coming week, then go shopping together. Make this effort a partnership instead of a solitary struggle and it'll go much smoother, especially if you put up a united front with your kids. Find a solution that you can both be happy with, and be each other's support system. Y'all are MARRIED. It's rather important that the nutritional well-being of your family is a joint effort.

This is true. However, the difference is he doesn't see the problem. He doesn't think I am fat. He thinks our daughter has '"baby fat" and wil lose it when she "grows". He works from sun up to sun down. I know these are all excuses, but I really don't know how to bring it up to him if he doesn't see the problem?
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Totally understand where you're coming from! I've been here on MFP since the end of last May making my own changes but just found out my son is pre-diabetic at 13. I would suggest looking up recipes on skinnytaste.com or other sites like it. I have had a lot of success with this site that the recipes have been edible by not only me (not that picky) but also edible by the rest of my family (including my very picky son & husband). I would also suggest working on portion sizes. As far as the junk food, just don't have it in the house. You can still have snacks in the house but make them yourself. You can find healthy recipes for almost anything. As for your husband, I had to have the talk with my husband and mother of not having the junk in the house. Just let him know that you're doing this to get everyone healthy and to teach the baby especially, the right things from the begining. Don't be too hard on yourself either, been there done that. Just adjust what you can now and experiment with new ways to make things. As far as quick weekday meals, I've found a lot of recipes for them on skinnytaste also. The crockpot is a great tool for those nights.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My kids used to take yogurt in their lunches to school. If you freeze it the night before, it's just right by the time lunch rolls around AND it keeps the other things in the lunch bag cold (if you send lunch meat, for instance; I wouldn't put meat in a lunch unless it can be kept cold enough not to spoil). If your daughter wants cookies in her lunch, don't send more than 2. You can also freeze applesauce this way.

If you think your daughter is chunky, then take her for a walk after dinner (your husband can go too). It's great family time and good for you.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make any specific suggestions on food because I am not a nutritionist and everyone's body is different. BUT, I will say that probably the best thing you can do to help yourself succeed at this is to

take a deep breath

take a step back

and adjust your perspective a bit.

As someone who has lost a bunch of weight but more importantly made a LOT of internal changes, here are the things I recommend you keep in mind:

--major changes take A LOT OF TIME. You said in your post that you have dealt with these issues your whole life, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect major change in a short period of time. Compared to your whole life, 1 year is a short period of time and 1 month (which is not even how long you've been at this) is a reallllly short period of time. Yes, I understand the stakes are high but compassion and forgiveness for yourself and your "mistakes" are PARAMOUNT
    --the easiest way to fail at making major changes is to attempt to make them all at once. You have a TON of things on your plate (please excuse the pun), and given how much responsibility you have, it's really important that you don't set yourself up for failure. I recommend you take some time to write out what your major goal is and then break that down into as many excruciatingly tiny goals as possible and then start with ONE. AT. A.TIME.
    --be nicer to yourself in thoughts, words, and actions. If you are beating yourself up in any way ask yourself "How would I feel if ANYONE treated my family like this?" If your answer is anything but "I'd be totally fine with that" then STOP