Have a ?

Options
Is canned fruit healthy to eat (in light juice). My family likes fresh fruit but we end up letting it go bad in the ice box. If we open a can we will divide it between us and eat it all (no waste).

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Is canned fruit healthy to eat (in light juice). My family likes fresh fruit but we end up letting it go bad in the ice box. If we open a can we will divide it between us and eat it all (no waste).
    it typically just has a lot more sugar, so if that's something you're concerned about, then canned fruit isn't as good as fresh.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The canning process destroys some nutrients of the fruit. Is it better than candy or cookies? For the most part, yes. But it's not as good as fresh fruit. The juice is just adding sugar, too.

Have you thought about putting oranges and apples out where you can see them? I wasn't a big fruit person before but now that I bought a large tray and plopped some oranges and apples into it on my table, I eat them way more often and they keep longer than other fruits. Pomegranates would be another good one to keep around (though you can't really keep it on the table once you've eaten part of it).
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I stopped consuming canned goods all together because they line the plastic coated cans with a dangerous chemical called BPA which is the same poison they found on plastic baby bottles. BTW most baby bottles don't any longer have it. Another reason is because they add more sugar. My advice would be to try to get in the mindset of getting fresh or frozen and consuming them in a reasonable amount of time.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Fresh>frozen>canned.
  • gkozub
    gkozub Posts: 22
    Options
    Canned foods are never better than fresh. Many canned fruit has a lot of added sugar, although some companies claim they don't add any. I don't know if that bothers you, but for general health and especially weight loss, fresh is always better. That being said, I used to have the same problem, where my fruit would spoil before I got to it. What I do now is freeze the fruit that I know am not going to be able to get to before it goes bad. That way, I always have nice, ripe, fresh fruit to put in smoothies!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Enter a kind of canned fruit into your diary, then enter the same fruit, but fresh.
    You will see the difference- and you probably won't eat the canned anymore.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Del Monte has No Sugar Added fruit in a can. It's packed in water instead of syrup. 1 can is about the same amount of calories as eating 1 whole fruit.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We buy it alot and love it
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Del Monte has No Sugar Added fruit in a can. It's packed in water instead of syrup. 1 can is about the same amount of calories as eating 1 whole fruit.

How does one digest the metal?
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You can get more nutrients from the label on the can than you do from the canned fruit. If you dont do fresh, then do frozen.
  • FestusB
    Options
    I would go with frozen rather than canned fruit if you don't buy fresh.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Blaaghh!! I gave up canned fruits and veggies as much as possible after hearing about how much healthier raw/fresh are. Sorry, no canned fruit here.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

How does one digest the metal?

Shave it over top my meals like pepper.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You could always use a lot of the fruits that go "bad" in another way. bananas make for great pancakes if you add an egg to them (look for recipes online) apples can be turned into applesauce by simmer them with water on the stove (no added sugar is a plus) if berries get to soft you can add them to the applesauce or make an unsweetend berry sauce for chicken. Otherwise make sure the fruit you do have is out of the bag you brought it home in and to keep it fresher longer don't keep it in the drawers in your fridge. This is the worst place for them because as they ripen they relase a chemical that will make them ripen faster.
  • maggiemay22467
    Options
    tell me how to keep fresh fruit longer please/
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

I have ended up letting fresh fruit go to waste a lot in the past as well. I learned something that has reduced the amount of waste. This usually takes a little time but it is COMPLETELY WORTH IT!!

As soon as you get home from the store, put all the groceries away except your fresh fruit. Now, you take your fruit and begin to portion it into servings:

Canteloupe, watermelon, pineapple - remove the rind and cut into chunks, place single (for lunches) or multiple (for whole family meals) into ziplocks or bowls with lids.
    Grapes - divide into servings - bags are good for grapes
    Strawberries - remove stems and cut into chunks and put into single serving sized bowls, sprinkle lightly with truvia/stevia if you like.
    Apples, Oranges and Bananas - trick with these - do not refrigerate! Once you put these in the crisper drawer, these are instantly out of sight and out of mind. If you have a large bowl, arrange these neatly in a fruit-basket fashion on your kitchen table. That makes these easily accessible and a quick grab snack for everyone in the house.

This is only a few of the many fruits, but you get the idea. You can also do this with vegetables as well. Carrots and celery can be cut up and placed in a bowl with a just enough to water to cover them so they dont wilt and then leave them on the counter for easy accessibility, however you will need to change the water every day. If you cut them and refrigerate them, put them in serving sized containers for easy grabs.

This will take time and you have to commit yourself to doing this as soon as you get home from the grocery store or it will get pushed aside, not done and you are back to throwing out rotten fruit 2 weeks later. But it is WORTH IT! I swear by this!!
  • maggiemay22467
    Options
    Thanks I can do that
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've started buying fruit that is pre-chopped at my local store. My kid can pull out the bowl - eat as much as he wants - so easy. We also put it out at almost all meals. And much easier than me cutting it up myself and he gets a much better variety. So worth it to me! Or as mentioned above - spend the prep time and do it all at once.