Kettlebell recommendations

Options
I am looking for a good kettlebell preferably one the you can adjust the weight, I just don't want to waste money on one without some reviews. Thanks so much:happy:

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Do not buy an adjustable kettlebell, the center of gravity is thrown off and are not worth your money. One thing to be wary of is many that are sold in the big box stores are low quality and often very rough on the hands, due to lack of proper finishing to save money
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought Jillian Michaels. There are 3 balls with 3 different weights, a guide for proper form and a DVD. I dont use them all the time, basically when i go on vacation i pack them up. good luck!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable one marked Fitness Gear and the handle is rough on my hands. I hadn't thought about the center of gravity issue but I guess that could be a problem. The one I have starts at 20 pounds and is recommended to max at 50.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I personally would not get an adjustable set. I've heard only negative things about them. But I do recommend Getting some from Muscle Driver. I prefer the Black Series Kettlebells. http://www.muscledriverusa.com

Kettle_zps7a9e64f0.jpg
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I picked up one at Walmart - cheap, cheap - because I didn't want to spend too much if I didn't like it. As others have commented, the handle is rough, so I went back and picked up some lifting gloves. I think the brand is Gold's Gym.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have some inexpensive ones from walmart made by CAP barbell. They are inexpensive for a reason. They get the job done, but they are not high quality and have a coating that chips off very easily. If the chips are on the handle it can have nasty effects on your hands.

The largest bell I have is a 40 lb. made by TDS. It has a really wide handle that my dh likes because he can easily fit both hands in the handle. I would buy this kind again.

My small bell is a 15 lb Gold's Gym. Nice handle, rubbery coating on the bell. Overall pretty nice and not expensive.

Someday I would like to get some competition style bells - like Valery Federenkos.
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells and I agree the adjustable ones are not good and you have to watch the finishing or it will eat up your hands. The expensive part is the shipping if you buy online. I prefer the pro style kettlebell. It is always the same size no matter how much it weighs and the finishing is good. Get a good wrist guard or wrist wraps too if you are going to do a serious KB workout. I go to www.worldkettlebellclub.com
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    We get all ours from a site on eBay called base fitness they have a great range of sizes and are the cheapest we have found our range from 10kg-24kg they make great door stops too to keep out unwanted visitors in the night ????
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a good adjustable kettlebell. Or a good one with a plastic coating. Or a good one with a rubber base. Or one sold in pounds.

I do have some poor quality bells, but I've had to modify them myself, and I still want better ones. Was it worth it? Maybe. I got my collection and ability up fast. I just still want better ones.

Just to add, if anyone mentions Jillian Michaels and kettlebells again, just run, don't look back.
  • isadem
    Options
    Thanks everyone I had no idea about the adjustable ones which is why I came here, thanks so much for all the information.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I suggest one of these:
    http://www.ironskullfitness.com/
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I also recommend that you be very, VERY careful where you get your training for how to swing kettlebells. There are tons of people out there whose form is APPALLING.

Here is a site where you can be sure to find good tips for using proper form:

http://www.allaboutkettlebells.com/

There is also a kettlebell group here on MFP that has some good tips, etc.

Hope that helps, and happy swinging!