Calories Burned Driving

Options

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder professional truck drivers are such lean mean fitness machines.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Three years later, I wonder if the OP ever hit their goal with this winning attitude. :laugh:

All he/she needed was an HRM. SOLVES ALL PROBLEMS!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Is this a satirical post?
  • Kulfold
    Kulfold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I looked this up because my fit bit has recorded my hours drive today as activity - only light but still better than sitting still...
  • pandeus
    Options
    According to a number of sites, driving a normal vehicle uses between 2-3 calories/minute. Since my job involves sitting to work or standing to teach, and I no longer have kids at home, driving is a physical activity. Using a site that I will no longer use for a variety of reasons, I tracked my activities using driving minutes combined with distance driven. On that site--tracking foods as well--I lost a considerable amount of weight. So, I'd say the validity of counting calories used in driving depends on your occupation, and whether or not driving is a normal part of your day. It worked for me, particularly driving 30 or more minutes/day.
  • scotth922
    Options
    We did a family trip to Vegas last summer that included a 12 hour drive each way. I meticulously counted every hour driven and the time on my feet while walking around, in addition to logging my workouts for the week. I took 3k+ calories a day during this vacation and according to the calculations, I should have lost 2 pounds that week. And I did!

For me, with a profile of sedentary, the driving and light walking absolutely counted as additional calories burned and counted correctly for my caloric intake needs.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Zjwo4.gif
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep dredging up this OLD post? To convince themselves driving = exercise I guess ....

I love the reply re: long haul truckers .... yeah, those are some serious hard bodies ....:laugh:
  • popzta
    popzta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    in my opinion no because driving isn't exercise unless your fred flinstone and using your feet

Genius
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    WHY CANT I FIND THE PRESET FOR CALORIES BURNED BECAUSE I BREATHED OPTION?????
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be driving in a NASCAR race because if you are then yes, I would log the calories because racing is a workout.

If you're just driving some place far then no. You are definitely not burning any calories sitting behind the wheel doing . . . nothing.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    OP deleted her account.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing rally driving or circuit racing, I wouldn't consider logging it.

Motor racing however is a good workout. The top professional racing drivers do a lot of gym training to keep fitness levels up to be able to compete: http://youtu.be/DNxDQCfFLUU
  • ElleBee615
    Options
    reverse-1326910583_larry_david_reaction.gif

^^LMAO!!!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log things like driving or anything outside of gym/exercise time. Unless you are intentionally putting effort in to a workout and trying to burn calories, it shouldn't be logged. Once again, this is my opinion.
    This!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was about to remark that maybe none of you drive in/around LA county - I'm in the car for up to 3 hours a day, and I'm definitely tireder when I finally get where I'm going. Stop&Go driving is mentally and physically strenuous. if you're on I-10 in Arizona on a Tuesday at midnight, it might be casual, but on I-10 in L.A. on a Tuesday at 5:30pm, it's BRUTAL. Just try to relax - I dare you.

Experiencing mental stress is not the same thing as running on a treadmill.

When I'm mentally stressed my calories burnt per minute jumps up massively on my body media fit!
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I spent 2 1/2 hours driving to NJ for fitness instructor training one way. My bodybugg showed that during the driving time I burned about 271 calories which is only 40 calories more than I burn in the same amount of time sleeping. I know everyone is different based on how much you weigh and your metabolism.

Wait. this thread was started 4 years ago. :noway:
    Still interesting topic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes! You should up the calories if it involves repeatedly flipping someone off (search biceps exercises) reaching in the back seat to shut your little kids up or hand them fries (search rows) or rearranging your sore but on the seat (check tricep dips).

Then if you have to put gas lots of times track each step to the paying booth and each step back and the lift of the gas pump hose.

Happy travels! :wink:
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    But I drive REALLY HARD.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    In the next few days I have to do a far amount of driving, should I enter this in the system? I googled it, and I would burn around 420 calories on my 2.5 hr drive (which I have to do both thursday and friday).

That's about as many calories as you burn just existing for 2.5 hours .. so nope. not exercise.