Going to join a gym...don't know what to do

Options
So, I would like to have a plan when I go into the gym. However, the information is so confusing and often they say two different things!

I am trying to lose weight, like a LOT. I have seen things that say do only cardio, some say do both cardio and strength and some say only strength training.

I want to lift, but I don't know if I should use machines or free weights. If I use free weights and am working out by myself what do I do if I can't lift like a bench press and get stuck? I know that I'll feel silly since I've literally NEVER gone into the free weight area but I'm determined to do whatever it takes to change my body.

Basically, can I get some pointers? Or a point to a plan or schedule that will put me on the right track? I'm so confused and intimidated that I want to feel as prepared as I can be before I walk in the gym.

Oh, and also....heart rate. Do I pay attention to that? Is that worth more than how hard I feel I'm working? Is it better to just work to the highest level that you can or to hold back to the heart rate guide? For what it's worth my Dr. said I have no limitations or concerns about working out.

Thank you in advance guys!

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think you will want to do both. But you have to start somewhere. Does your gym have a trainer that can set you up? It's hard for anyone to give you advice. A good trainer will do an assessment then start building from there.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would definitely invest in a trainer - usually when you join, they will have a special where you can get a few sessions. I thought it would be a waste but it was the best money I've ever spent. At the very least, you won't be nervous about going into the weight area, and you'll get a good baseline of what you are comfortable with and you can gradually move from there. Good luck!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. Cardio will help the weight come off, and strength training will build the muscles underneath. Do both and when you're at your goal weight, you'll be lighter and stronger!
  • kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would say you most defiantly need to speak with a trainer. They will explain everything to you and often physically show you how to use different machines. Many gyms will do this for free. Honestly, your best bet would be to get a personal trainer of your own, even if it's for a short time. They can take all of your measurements and set up a plan that will work for you. I hope this helps! :)
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I was really terrified of joining a gym. I hated the idea of people watching me and I wanted to lose weight but I felt like I didn't fit in because I didn't know any work out routines. My best advice... go to group classes! The instructors will help you and the group atmosphere is usually really supportive.

I've taken strength training, cardio, and yoga classes. The weight lifting classes have been the most helpful and have made the most impact-- I didn't realize that there are really many skills to learn to use weights effectively!

Don't worry about being prepared when you walk into the gym. Everyone was a beginner at some point. Try the classes.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As for your heart rate? YES YES YES You should pay attention to it. Obviously you should listen to your body as well, but a HRM will show you exactly what your heart is doing and how hard you are pushing yourself.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. I would invest in both a HRM and a trainer...at least to get you started. The calorie burning count on the cardio machines are always wrong, so your HRM will give you a more accurate burn. Also, a trainer can help you understand what is better for your body and the results you are looking for.

Ask the gym if they offer a complementary PT session when you sign up. Some gyms do.

Good luck to you lady!! :flowerforyou:
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    All exercise complements weight loss and will burn extra calories. I’d seek out a trainer at your club to get started. He or she will give you a full tour of the facility and show you many of the machines and proper techniques. Start off very, very slow and slowly build up your endurance. Lifts requiring a spotter just ask the cutest guy there to spot you and he will, trust me. Everybody should do both cardio and strength training. Lastly, have fun and eventually it will become addicting and you’ll feel guilty when you miss a workout! ; )
  • Routerninja
    Options
    As someone else who needs to lose 200+ pounds, the best advice I can give is just start slow. It took me a while to get up to an hour on the treadmill. and yes, some weight training will help but the key is to keep your heart rate up. Like for me I try and keep it between 126-130 when I'm on the treadmill. But there is a calculation for age, etc to what your target heart rate is..
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I bought new rules of lifting for women. Gave me a plan of action so I wasn't wondering around the gym looking confused. I also do 30 minutes of cardio while I'm there. Trainers are expensive. Youtube is cheaper. I suggested googling 5x5 stronglifts, go on pinterest and check out the health and fitness pins, or bodybuilding.com to get some sort of routine and then go on youtube or google images and check out what each exercise is and how to do it properly. Don't forget your water! and proper gym strip
  • lilRicki
    Options
    and "YES" heart rate determines how much effort you're putting in, if you're working yourself or if you're just dawdling.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The HRM is great -- I use it all the time.

The danger with just calorie restriction is that your body may decide to convert muscle into energy, instead of just fat. You want to avoid that. However, I presume you ALSO don't want to become a body builder, so you probably want to avoid building huge new muscles at the same time.

My gym has a great weight routine, using only 9 machines. Back Extension, Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Seated Row, Bench Press, Shoulder Raise, Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, Ab Crunch. Do talk to a trainer, or at least get an orientation, because technique is important, and you can hurt yourself with poor technique. I would avoid freeweights -- they are great for bodybuilders, but (I'm assuming) you're only looking to tone and maintain, and the machines are easier and safer and adequate for that goal. Pick a weight that you can comfortably do 12 times (not straining too hard), and just keep that up.

And do cardio. That will help you burn calories. Do NOT go as hard as you think you can -- you'll hate it to the point you may not stick with it, quite possibly injure yourself, and at the same time, not burn a lot of extra calories. My reading suggests that doing 20 - 30 mins per machine, in your target heart rate zone, will have the most beneficial effect on your body. (Doing the same machine for an hour, your body starts to get used to it, and you get diminished returns.) I rotate walking on the treadmill, stairmaster, eliptical, and the bike. What you should do is pick the machines you enjoy (or at least, hate the least), and work on them.

Most important -- think of this as a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. If it's something you're putting yourself through to reach a certain goal, you'll likely either hit the goal, and then start to slip into bad habits again, or you'll find it too hard, and give up. Find things you enjoy doing, and do them. Make exercise a part of your life from now on, and not just a means to an end -- you'll feel way better for it, and be more likely to stick with it.

Best of luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Great that you are heading to the gym. Definitely go with a plan. If you are looking to lift weights you may want to follow a programme such as New Rules of Lifting for Women (look for it on Amazon) or try Stronglifts - a simple routine of compound exercises. New Rules is great for explaining WHY you should lift and sets out a diet plan. The book Starting Strength goes into detail about HOW to lift.

Free weights are generally held to be better than machines as they encourage core stability. The machines can put your body into a less natural position so you won't get the best benefit

But most gyms offer a free tour or induction - get them to show you EVERYTHING. And any decent gym will help you with particular moves - I printed out the first 2 workouts from New Rules and asked to be shown them.

You probably want to include some cardio - do a short cardio session to warm up before lifting and then if you can still move do some after.

Above all find what you enjoy and go for it!!!
  • mdurrettuk
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to join a gym. I agree with what others have said in starting slow and speaking/working with a personal trainer to at least get you started if at all possible.

I'll also add this: don't be intimidated by going to the gym. People will respect you for the effort you put in regardless of your fitness level. The hardest part about it is getting into the habit of going consistently.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    try some exercise classes. dont be intimidated by the hot girls in there. its a great way to learn new routines and lots of fun.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    The HRM is great -- I use it all the time.

The danger with just calorie restriction is that your body may decide to convert muscle into energy, instead of just fat. You want to avoid that. However, I presume you ALSO don't want to become a body builder, so you probably want to avoid building huge new muscles at the same time.

this is ignorant, and very wrong. You won't build huge muscles unless you dramatically increase your testosterone levels (injections). You can lift as heavy as you can and you won't look like she-hulk. Do your research or you'll get sucked into crap like this. I'm not sure where you get that your body will all of a sudden convert muscles into energy either.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know how intimidating it is to go to the gym and not have any idea of what to do. Fortunately I was able to take part in a contest and I was given a gym membership and a trainer for 6 months. It was the best thing ever. If you can afford a trainer, that is definitely the way to go...if you can't...I couldn't...then my advice to you is start slow. If you have a large amount of weight to lose and you're out of shape it's going to be really tough. I would start with straight cardio for a week maybe two and do some stretching after you work out...very important! When you do move into other exercises, try going with body weight exercises...You'll still be incorporating cardio while you're building muscle. I find bodyweight work more difficult than lifting, and there is a reason for that...your body is working harder. With most bodyweight exercises you are engaging your core which will help you immensely. You mix in some machine work to keep things interesting, but I wouldn't move into free weights until you have built up some strength.

This is just my opinion based on my own experience. I'm sure you'll get plenty of information and you will have to find what works best for you.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh and mytrainerbob.com has some great exercises for free...It's Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser.
  • SugarFemme24
    SugarFemme24 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has responded! I will be getting a free trainer session so I will definitely take advantage of that info.

I'm not worried about "bulking" I know that's a myth and I think muscular women are hot so it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

So, I guess I'm hearing (and reading in other places) that I should cardio it up like...5 days a week and strength train 2 or 3 days a week, does that sound right? My ultimate goal is very aggressive but I know I shouldn't just jump into "beast mode" (but SO WANT TO!)
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has responded! I will be getting a free trainer session so I will definitely take advantage of that info.

I'm not worried about "bulking" I know that's a myth and I think muscular women are hot so it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

So, I guess I'm hearing (and reading in other places) that I should cardio it up like...5 days a week and strength train 2 or 3 days a week, does that sound right? My ultimate goal is very aggressive but I know I shouldn't just jump into "beast mode" (but SO WANT TO!)

It sounds like you don't do much in terms of exercise right now, so I think cardio 5x and weights 3x would be considered beast mode. Remember, you don't want to get hurt overdoing it. Take them up on that trainer and do lots of research for your specific fitness goals. Does your gym have a pool? That can be a great cardio and strength workout that is less likely to get you injured. Start off with low impact things until you are certain your body can handle some additional stress. Muscle aches are usually a good thing, joint pain is a warning sign. Pay close attention to what your body is telling you and don't be afraid of rest days. Tthey really do let your body repair itself. Good Luck!!