where do you measure your waist?

Options
I have been doing my waist measurement at my belly button so I have a place to easily line it up. But I know it isn't my waist for dresses etc, that is a few inches higher. Also with lose skin my belly button is a bit lower now and in line with my hip bones so I doubt the measurement will continue to go down much a I plan on losing fat not skeleton....

So where do you measure?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight, then bend/lean to the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump, I want to know this too. I measure the biggest part of my stomach. My jean size is way smaller than what I measure.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight, then bend/lean to the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

This is where I measure. It's the narrowest part of my waist.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Put your arms up over your head and judge where the thinnest part of your torso is. That's your waist. That's also how you're supposed to measure it but it's impossible to do it that way yourself.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My natural waist is above the belly bottom/upper hip bone and below the rib cage. I think that people mistakes the "belly bottom" area for the waistline because most of the ladies pants are low cut
    The fashion industry has distorted the real waist line. You don't see that mistake in man's pants.
  • summergreen487
    summergreen487 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I actually measure my belly not my waist since that is where my fat accumulates. I measure two inches below my belly button which is the part of my stomach that sticks out the most.
  • nikkih1013
    Options
    best place to measure your waist is at your belly button... its the only part on your stomach/waist that won't move during your weight loss process :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    best place to measure your waist is at your belly button... its the only part on your stomach/waist that won't move during your weight loss process :)

But that will not determine your real waist size. I am about 30 at my belly bottom (33 below and that is what I consider my abdominal area), and I am 24 at my natural/real waist. If I were to buy pants/skirts with a 30 inches waist, I would have 7 inches to belt and a very unflattering look.

I politely disagree with the statement "won’t more during your weight loss process." I lost a total of 2 inches from my natural waist, 3.5 inches from my abdominal area and 4.5 inches from my hips. So I really had a lot of movement in the stomach /waist area.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will ck for the where I crease when I bend and measure there.

That is what I thought but 40 lbs later my belly button is definitely lower.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist above my belly button. Search the internet for women's waist measurement.
  • KendraM1982
    Options
    I measure at my belly button or slighty above my belly button. I try and remember where the lady at Curves For Women used to do it. It helps.