More protein with low calories and veggie?

Options
Hi,

Does anybody have any suggestions for vegetarian high protein foods without too many calories?

I realise by watching my daily food intake just how little protein I consume, no wonder I have been suffering with hair loss for years!

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt! And any other dairy products. Also broccoli, lentils (!), beans egg whites. Quorn, and go to Holland and Barratt (or anywhere online) and get some soya protein, available as 'chunks' and 'mince' packed full with protein pretty low on cals and tastes good. I like the mince better though...
  • Wauwa01
    Wauwa01 Posts: 19
    Options
    Yeah, I have seen that you use the protein stuff from Holland & Barrett, I am going to go in on my days off and have a wee look. I have been eating loads of quorn but it seems to be high in sodium. Everything has its downside. Thanks for the advice.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Check the protein in Greek yogurt you choose. The 0% stuff is about 10% protein. Other types are not so high in protein (esp. 'greek style')
    Jane
  • _rosegray
    _rosegray Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm struggling with this too! i've bought some plain "soy protein isolate" and have been mixing it into everything - porridge, soup, etc etc.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    check out my diary. i've been vegetarian for over 2 years & eat 110-140 g of protein a day!
  • Wauwa01
    Options
    Yeah its not something I ever really thought about but now I see how little I am eating protein wise, I need to do something about this. Think I am going to H&B tomorrow for a wee look at this protein stuff.
  • Wauwa01
    Options
    Wow you have a full diary of food, things I would never have thought about. Where do you get the vanilla protein powder from? What do you make it up with? Water or milk?
  • 89nunu
    Options
    The cooking stuff is just put in water to soak and then you can use it as normal mince, just without browning. It's awesome in chilli! If you want to get protein powder for shakes it's actually a lot cheaper to get them online and I wouldn't buy soy, it's pretty rank...
  • 89nunu
    Options
    I just got a massive delivery from www.theproteinworks.com they are very fast not to expensive and don't use a lot of crap in their shakes, it's also vegetarian of course. I found some voucher codes for 10% off and some freebies if you're interested.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow you have a full diary of food, things I would never have thought about. Where do you get the vanilla protein powder from? What do you make it up with? Water or milk?

It cracks me up to see how short some diaries are because I must just eat a ton of food because mine are crazy long :)

If you go to the PlantFusion website and put in your zipcode, it will tell you who sells it. I get it on amazon.com for about $30 for a 2 lb tub. I like it because the flavor isn't real strong so it mixes well with other flavors. Sometimes i add some vanilla extract, or pb2 or carob powder. I mix it with soy milk to get even more protein. Its like the best protein powder ever-it has all of the amino acids & its really gentle on the stomach.

I also looooove Gardein brand faux meat products-they're so real tasting that it's freaky! I'm trying to limit my faux meats since its kinda processed. Target has the best prices & most variety of Gardein.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I do get a chunk of my protein from plant sources. If you add in the dairy and eggs it is over 20% most days from non-meat sources. My personal favorites for protein are:

Brussel Sprouts: ~2:1 carb:protein ratio
    Quinoa: 5:1
    Black beans: ~7:3
    Avocado: 6:1 (has more fat, but it is a good fat)
    Sweet Potato(Yams): 9:1
    Spinach: 2:3

Lots of options, you just have to search for them!
  • chameleonlounge
    chameleonlounge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you ever eat any of the Boca items or Morning Star? They are good.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and protein powder
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese!
  • Wauwa01
    Options
    I completely forgot about how nutritious quinoa is - I bought some today - Thank you x
  • Wauwa01
    Options
    I just got a massive delivery from www.theproteinworks.com they are very fast not to expensive and don't use a lot of crap in their shakes, it's also vegetarian of course. I found some voucher codes for 10% off and some freebies if you're interested.
  • Wauwa01
    Options
    Yes please, any help is greatly appreciated xxx