Do you eat anything after dinner?

Options
Just wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to not have a small snack before I go to bed. I usually have something like string cheese and hot cocoa.

What do you guys do?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If I have some calorie leeway I usually have a snack of some kind in the evening...Skinny Cow icecream sandwiches are yummy, or some Greek yogurt and a little fruit.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat nearly all my calories in the evening. I eat 'supper' around 6 and snack away afterwards. I usually leave myself about 500 calories for between 7pm and 9pm.
  • cnb4845
    Options
    I try not to eat too late, but sometimes, I just really want a snack after dinner, so if I have the calories left, I make a good snack choice and I let myself have one. I used to have cereal or something else that wasn't that good for me, but now I have some fruit, or a yogurt, or hot chocolate.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I spread my calories out throughout the entire day, so usually yes.

ETA: My "meals" often take 2 hours to finish because I eat one thing at a time. For example, dinner might mean diced mango at 7:00pm, salad at 7:30pm, grilled chicken at 8:00pm, an apple at 8:30pm, and a bran muffin at 9:00pm. ish.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Tea and toast with a dab of honey or hot chocolate on cold nights
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If I feel like it. Depending what time I eat dinner I can get snacky, so if I have the calories, I'll have nuts, or olives or pickles or popcorn. Or leftovers.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I eat nearly all my calories in the evening. I eat 'supper' around 6 and snack away afterwards. I usually leave myself about 500 calories for between 7pm and 9pm.

While I don't eat "all" my calories in the evening, I always leave about 400 cals wiggle room for the evening. I look forward to my snacks! Then I don't feel cheated and I stick to healthy eating. Feel free to peek at my diary!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Heck most times i dont even eat dinner, nothing over 300 calories anyway. dinner is the worst meal for me, as i cant work it off like i want to.

Depending on your dinner intake, i'd stick to no snacks except during the day. It really depends on your day and your dinner meal....
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Luckily blackberries are among my favorite things on the planet. If I feel peckish I grab a handful. Otherwise tea a toast isn't bad either.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's 8:30 where I am and I just had a 500 calorie dinner. I don't have any more calories left for the day now so I will try not to eat.
    Today was a work out day for me so I had a really big early lunch because I get starving after I life and need to get my protein in, normally at this hour I'd have at least 300 calories left.

If I did have more calories left, I would eat in the middle of the night if I woke up hungry or was up late studying.

Tomorrow night I'll have dinner at 10:30, I get home from class at 10:00 PM so by the time I make dinner (unless I decide just to pop a frozen meal in the micro) it's pretty late.

I also worked overnight shifts sometimes so I'll sleep until 2-3 the next day and be eating until like 4-5 AM, logging it all under the same day.

Basically as long as you're staying in your daily/weekly calories it doesn't matter in the slightest when you eat.

Personally if I eat EARLY in the day/force myself to eat breakfast I have a very difficult time staying in my goals

Everyone is different. Do what works for you.

But if you're burning more calories than you're eating, you're going to lose no matter what time of the day you're eating
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up until about 3am working on my thesis or doing freelance work, and we eat dinner at 630, so if I didn't eat something, I'd keel over and die. I'll grab some crackers or some bread if I've made any, goat cheese or camembert, and fruit (blackberries or raspberries usually).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime. Tonight I added a couple bite-sized Milky Ways.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Every night! Usually toast and hot chocolate :)
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I work out around 6:30 or 7, so if I'm hungry or shaky after, I eat something small. If not, I don't!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry I will have a snack. Something like cheese and crackers, yogurt, cereal, and if I want a treat I will have sugar free ice cream.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like a small treat after dinner, and that's usually a sugar free popsicle. I also keep sugar free hard Werther's candies around for a little sweet treat. I also like to have herbal tea late in the evening.
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert after dinner! Usually one of the three choices: ice-cream, cheese and crackers, or yogurt with a cup of frozen blueberries and some nuts&honey granola mixed into it.
  • bubpuff
    bubpuff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with overeating after dinner most nights, but I think it's safe to have a healthy snack between dinner and bed. It also depends on what time you go to bed, too.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Same here.............
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry I do. There is nothing wrong with eating at night. There is no magic time where the food you eat "gets turned to fat". Your metabolism is always running.