Dinner sucks

Options
So, here is my problem... I have done so well during the day, breakfast, lunch and snacks are awesome! They are healthy and filling! The issue I am having is at dinner, I feel like by the time I get home and get everything situated (my child!) I am ready to give in. Today for example I did great! My cals are at 1800, I had 1000 left before dinner, so we ate fast food... :( It was my fault, I made the decision to do it, but I feel like the rest of my hard work throughout the day was all for nothing. Anyone have any tips or advice to keep stay on track throughout the day?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can you have dinner ready when you get home, like a crockpot meal or a slow cooker? Maybe make a few meals in advance so its heat and eat?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack as I am leaving work in order to avoid the fast food temptations.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Crockpot meals or take some time on the weekend to prep things for the coming week. Having freezer meals ready to pop into the oven or prep all your vegetables and freeze meat in a marinade. Then you just defrost the meat, toss with your prepped veggies and throw it in the oven for a bit. Have some healthy snacks prepped too so you can grab a quick little something to eat while you wait. Whenever I make casserole type things I always make at least two, one for dinner that night and another to throw in the freezer for later. Doesn't take any more time but helps me down the road.
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    I try to buy a few different meats each week and have them ready for cooking. Yesterday I marinated some chicken wings in a mustard sauce, then left it in the fridge.
    I have a cooker called a TURBO BROILER I purchased in Chinatown - it's a popular Asian way of cooking that uses hot air. Rather than frying the wings, I use the turbo. Calories in a fried chicken wing are about 100 each but I cooked 6 chicken wings and the calorie total is just 232 (compared to 600 for frying).
    I guess it's the same as convection cooking - the fat/oil/grease drips to the bottom and there is no oil necessary for the cooking process....everything is crispy and delicious.
    I also made "oil free" poutine this way.

Tip # 2
    I have a heavy duty blender and stock my kitchen with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. I can make my own veggie soup and fruit smoothies very quickly and easily. My blender is Blendtec but I think Vitamix Blenders are also tops.
    Last week I was out of town and when I came home....the broccoli is gone. I asked my son where it went and he said he used it to make soup (in the blender). This really shocked me (since he's 19 and I haven't seen him cook much more than scrambled eggs) but I guess he missed the homemade soups.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    that happens to me quite often when if realize i have so many calories left for dinner...i feel i can "afford" it.
    so i try to balance my meals out more during the day so that the temptation isnt quite as strong.
    eating out isnt horrible, and you can still lose weight while doing so..but nothing beats a nice home cooked meal. slow cookers are awesome too
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd eat a dinner higher in fiber, lean protein, and dairy. It will be more filling for less calories that what you may be having now.
  • issyjmc
    issyjmc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That was always my problem, too. I would do great for the day, and then fall apart at dinner. The 3 things that helped me are planning, measuring and what I call priming.

I finally started losing weight and getting healthier when I started planning my dinners and calories the night before. If I knew it was going to be a convenience or high calorie night (pizza Tuesday or adult beverages on gameday at our house), I would plug that into MFP the night before so that I could adjust the my portions, eating and exercise throughout the day.

As for the measuring, I always keep measuring cups and spoons and a food scale handy so that I can control my portions. 3 oz of meat is generally just right.

What I call priming is what I consume before the main part of my meal. If we are eating out, I always start with a lower-calorie soup or salad. A big salad with reasonable toppings and dressing has many fewer calories than a giant plate of spaghetti. Priming yourself with a low-cal, healthy, filling option makes you much more content with a smaller (but still tasty) portion of you main course.

Good luck!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Plan the dinner ahead of time. Then eat a small healthy snack and drink water right before dinner so that you won't be STARVING and say, screw it I wanna binge now!
  • downpound
    Options
    i was having the same problem then I added a snack about 4pm and it helps
  • Fibergurl
    Options
    Pre planning meals may help
  • downpound
    Options
    that's a good idea I like the priming idea and the planned higher calorie days. To many times i have higher calorie days that I did not plan
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Two things I always keep on hand are salmon fillets and brown rice. If we're tired, running behind, or don't have anything planned, I can thaw out a couple salmon fillets under the faucet in about 5 minutes, 10 minutes to cook the rice, about 7 minutes for the salmon to cook, plus a salad or frozen veggie and we have a quick, healthy meal in about 20 minutes.
  • LPDLPD
    LPDLPD Posts: 25
    Options
    Try as hard as you can to decide what you are going to eat for the day. Fast food is fine once and a while as long as you can make it work with your calorie goals for the day. I completely understand the temptation, If you have in mind what you will have for dinner, log it in your MFP food section for that day even before you get to dinner. I have found that, for me, logging in food that I intend to eat early on in the day helps me stick to it better when I just do not want to. Hope this helps a little.
  • StickingWithIt2015
    StickingWithIt2015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to waste all my hard work on gettin what I wanted at fast food joints. I seemed to stay under my calories but never taught my body not to crave the burgers and fries. This time I have been fueling up with more fruits and veggies and even if we go out I order grilled chicken or fish. Even at McDonald's you can get a grilled chicken (light on mayo or no mayo at all) and apples/grapes as side. It sucks in the beginning but now I find it a good type of challenge to find the healthier options on the menu.
  • quaddadmc
    Options
    I find keeping cooked skinless chicken tenderloins on hand helps. They do well for a protein snack and can be heated up with minor sides to prep a fast dinner.
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    I find keeping cooked skinless chicken tenderloins on hand helps. They do well for a protein snack and can be heated up with minor sides to prep a fast dinner.

Totally agree - made chicken curry and also breaded chicken fingers with tenderloins in the past week.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on my odd work days, I have him pick up a rotisserie chicken on his way home. Fast food that doesn't make you feel sick!
  • spickell79
    Options
    Meal planning is a huge help. Check out skinnytaste.com too. excellent healthy recipes with simple ingredients and easy prep.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this is my problem exactly.

From all the friends that have advised me about changing my ways, here's the best advice I can give you:

Stay away from fast food! Haha, that's alright - now you know.
    Drink tons of water before/after every meal and even in between bites.
    Brush your teeth right after dinner to refrain from eating more desserts or whatever else you have lying around.
    Decide on a portion and leave the rest in the kitchen. Don't bring the entire dish to the table because that's too easy to get another helping.
    Eat very slowly. Very slowly. 20-30 chews per bite. Eat with your nondominant hand. Use chopsticks.
    Eat more vegetables - those keep you full without the added calories.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I meal plan every week and always leave room for nights where inevitably, we're going to eat out. We had chick-fil-a tonight because of how crazy our day was, and I don't feel terrible about it because I know tomorrow will be healthy lentil tacos and the day after, chicken curry. Don't beat yourself up, OP, because sometimes part of life is just needing to eat out when it gets crazy. If we'd had to wait for me or DH to make dinner, our 17 month old would be going to sleep right now - that's just not ok.

I guess my point is, 80% healthy, 20% whatever else... because life ain't perfect. But meal planning sure has done our family a lot of favors during the days we truly DON'T need to eat out, too.