rice preference brown or white

Options
13»

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love rice but generally white. Risotto is my favorite but in sushi, Indian food ect... I agree with Asians eat rice as a large part of there diet. They have less obesity, diabetes and cancer. There diet in general is healthier than the average Americans.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love white, it soaks up the flavours so well. And I do like brown, but I just try and have smaller portions of it rather than the 4 heaps bowls I was used to eating, haha.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Brown has more flavour--I am not a fan of white at all. I love brown rice though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I love rice but generally white. Risotto is my favorite but in sushi, Indian food ect... I agree with Asians eat rice as a large part of there diet. They have less obesity, diabetes and cancer. There diet in general is healthier than the average Americans.

I think it's a myth that the Asian diet is more healthy than the Standard American Diet. Thier portion control is a lot healthier though, as a previous poster mentioned.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice, especially with a tbsp or two of peanut butter!

Say what?!?! :noway:

I like overcooked smooshy brown rice... :laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I like my rice wild... like my men... what, wait.

Yeah, just wild rice.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For me, the darker the better. Brown, red, black, wild. I will cook them for a pretty long time--some might even say I overcook them. But that's how I like 'em.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating all kinds of white rice because it use to be one of my favorite foods but now I also like brown. I eat both. If I want to be semi-healthier, than brown but white rice will always win in my book, lol.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is okay now and again for certain meals...but white rice is my main rice. I grew up on it and I won't be giving it up :D
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I think it's a myth that the Asian diet is more healthy than the Standard American Diet. Thier portion control is a lot healthier though, as a previous poster mentioned.
    As an American living in Japan for the last 2 years, I have to agree with this x1000. When everyone else expects a smaller portion, it's easy to go along with it.

I was pretty heavy when I came and I spent my first year dropping "only" 20 pounds. What I think a lot of westerners don't realize is that there are plenty of things here to get fat on, too -- fried pork curry (omg so good), chips, candy, snacks, McDonalds, BOOZE. And ramen, a staple lunch food, isn't exactly health food.
  • tamaramsay
    tamaramsay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    White rice, although i ate brown rice for a whole year. Got tired of the harsh taste. Sticking to white rice.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

As an American living in Japan for the last 2 years, I have to agree with this x1000. When everyone else expects a smaller portion, it's easy to go along with it.

I was pretty heavy when I came and I spent my first year dropping "only" 20 pounds. What I think a lot of westerners don't realize is that there are plenty of things here to get fat on, too -- fried pork curry (omg so good), chips, candy, snacks, McDonalds, BOOZE. And ramen, a staple lunch food, isn't exactly health food.

There does seem to be this perception that the Asian diet is more healthy and I'm not sure why. First there is no one Asian diet. Lot's of diverse countries and regions from Japan to China to The Philipines to India. Rice may be a common staple but there is a lot of diversity in diet. Secondly, if you know people from these cultures and eat with them, thier cuisine in no more healthy than any other one. The key thing that seperates how Asians generally eat and how Westerner's do is portion size. Given that the health markers in many Asian nations are better than some Western nations (USA) that would seems to support the notion that, within reasonable bounds, it's not so much what you eat but how much.