Cardio for bad knees?

Options
2»

Replies

• MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had bad knees when I first started Weight Watchers so I was not able to do any exercise but I lost over 220 + lbs. You do not need to exercise to lose weight. 2 yrs ago I had both my knees replaced and now I can and do exercise everyday. My advice is to find something you can do like swimming but remember if you can't you can't just stay on your program and you will lose regardless of exercising.
  • rkerm1018
    rkerm1018 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think i will give spinning/biking a try and then swimming if that doesnt work out. Since joining MFP, I have lost 8 lbs (since this Jan) so i want to keep it up!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Punches! Gets your heart rate up and helps relieve stress.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Try cutting down on the elliptical and switching it up with the stationary bike. That might be better on your knees. You might not have to give up the elliptical entirely if you like it, but maybe tone it down and do other exercises in place of it and see if that helps. Yoga and Pilates are great for strength and resistance, too. You will not burn calories like you would with intense cardio, but the benefits are great if you stick to it. I currently have a sports injury from running and although I love running, I have to take it easy - even the elliptical will aggravate my knees sometimes, if I do it too often. Doing Pilates during the week has really helped keep me in shape and I only do cardio (elliptical) once or twice a week at the moment - until I heal Try some new things - even if it isn't cardio. :)

Good luck! Sorry about your knees, I totally feel for ya. It is so frustrating to want to get your heart rate up doing what you love, only to have to take it easy.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think i will give spinning/biking a try and then swimming if that doesnt work out. Since joining MFP, I have lost 8 lbs (since this Jan) so i want to keep it up!
    For your first few weeks of spin class, especially your first week, do not try to keep up with the rest of the class, keep your tension down and maintain cadence or it will suck. Always remember, it is your ride, for you.