Low Calorie Pizza Recipes anyone??

Options
I am craving SUPREME style pizza with LOTS of veggies...Does anyone know of any low calorie recipes?

Replies

• Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know any "low cal" recipes; but you can make any recipe healthier. First of all, if you're making your crust from scratch, use whole wheat flour instead of white. Second, use healthy fats like olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Next, cut sugar or substitute splenda. Flavor ground turkey with beef bullion or sausage spices and use it instead of pork or beef. Pile on the vegetables. Skip the pepperoni. Use reduced fat or non fat cheese...

Should be a better alternative to the regular recipe. Good luck!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like making it from scratch you can try one of Kashi's thin crust pizza. I like their mushroom trio with spinach. I can it half of the pizza without guilt (that's if I worked out).
  • nicolel18
    nicolel18 Posts: 17
    Options
    I make my pizzas on whole wheat 6"in pita breads. Its much easier than making dough and the pita bread is only 90 calories. I use a brand called Josephs that they keep near the deli in my local grocery store. I top it with my own pasta sauce and low fat or fat free mozz. Sometimes I add a ton of veggies or I top it with turkey pepperoni which only has 70 calories per 17 slices. I throw it in a 400 degree oven and bake it until its gets crispy. This usually helps me with my pizza cravings. They are SO simple to make.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I make my pizzas on whole wheat 6"in pita breads. Its much easier than making dough and the pita bread is only 90 calories. I use a brand called Josephs that they keep near the deli in my local grocery store. I top it with my own pasta sauce and low fat or fat free mozz. Sometimes I add a ton of veggies or I top it with turkey pepperoni which only has 70 calories per 17 slices. I throw it in a 400 degree oven and bake it until its gets crispy. This usually helps me with my pizza cravings. They are SO simple to make.

That sounds soooo yummy. Will have to give that a try. It is probably also better than my kashi suggestion because you can control the sodium and add whatever veggies ya like.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with making pita, or whole wheat english muffin pizzas. For me it is not about using low fat ingredients, it is about eating too much of a good thing. I love making mine with either full fat fresh mozz or goat cheese and I usually add either spinach and mushrooms or other veggies. Even if you have 2 pita pizzas , your total calorie count will be about 400 calories. Add some greens mixed with olive oil and lemon juice and you have a healthy and delicious meal for under 500 calories. I usually only eat one pita so I get a healthy meal for less than 250 calories. I make healthy burritos too, less than 350 calories and delicious. (Tumaros wrap, black beans, some steak or chicken, avocado, tomato and Fage Greek Yogurt..
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Flat-Outs make great pizzas you simply toss on what you like, sauce or no sauce and put it in the oven and have the cheese melt a bit and the whole thing is yours as long as what you have on top is one portion (meat wise is what I mean), since you wants lots of veggies this is perfect for you!

Also the Pita bread pizza crust recommended up above is awesome for super fast crust as well!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins or bagel thins work good as crust, and most are 100 calories for the entire roll, or 50 per half. The toppings are your choice.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I had a recipe from before making pizza crust out of chickpeas, oatmeal, and garlic, but don't have it in front of me hmmmmm gotta look for that
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins or bagel thins work good as crust, and most are 100 calories for the entire roll, or 50 per half. The toppings are your choice.
    Oh yes, those do work well too! :drinker:
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been making a very thin crust pizza using Joseph's, Lavish Flat Bread.

http://www26.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_lavash_bread.html

nutrition info;

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/josephs/flax-oat-bran-26-whole-wheat-lavash-flat-bread

I cut one lavish in half, place both pieces on an aluminum covered baking sheet. It cooks better than trying to bake the
    entire sheet together, and it slices better using the two halves.

Add low-carb tomato sauce, cheese and mushrooms.

Bake them in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into slices.

Its pretty good.

Jim
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I have one that is made with whole wheat english muffins..

Thomas Light Whole Grain English muffin
    2 tb shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
    1.5 tb Fat free cottage cheese
    1.5 tb tomato sauce

Thomas' Light Whole Grain English Muffins - these things rock my world!! 100 cal, 1g fat, 8g fiber, 7 grams protein.

They taste great - and I absolutely love to make mini pizzas with them: Lightly toast english muffin. Spoon 1tb shredded 2% cheese (I use kraft 2% sharp cheddar) on each half of the english muffin, spoon .75 tb fat free cottage cheese on each half, spread .75 tb no sugar added pasta sauce on top of the cheeses on each half of the muffin (hunt's garlic and herb, for 86 cents a can at walmart, is my favorite - 40 cal per half cup).

You can cook in the oven at this point, but I just microwave for 33 sec. The cottage cheese melts and gets all gooey, and since the sauce is spread on top of the cheese, it keeps the english muffin from getting too soggy.

There's lunch - high fiber, high protein, low fat, low cal! Plenty of caloric room for a salad or side of your favorite veggies, and even some fruit. You can also add toppings to your pizza - cut up veggies, or soy/tofu crumbles in your pasta sauce, etc.

Number of Servings: 1

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WHATSEEDS.

Number of Servings: 1

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 165.0
    Total Fat: 4.3 g
    Cholesterol: 16.2 mg
    Sodium: 495.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 24.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 8.5 g
    Protein: 13.9 g

taste really good and it's good for you, Enjoy!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the Recipe section but I think it's up your alley ... don't know the nutritions of it, but came up with this lil Diddy a few weekends ago!

I bought a premade wholewheat -thin crust pizza bottom

On top I put:

1/4 cup of low fat Alfredo Sauce blended with a few clothes of Garlic
    3 cups of Fresh Spinnich
    1 Filet of cooked salmon (Plain)
    Capers
    2 TBLSP of Parmesean cheese

Baked at 350 for 20 minutes :D

that's the healthiest I could come up wtih ... and it was a huge huge hit at the Playoff Hockey Dinnerparty I had ... doesn't sound too bad for you eh?!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I usually make a "healthy" pizza on wheat naan bread. I generally prefer a pesto sauce (homemade) & will sometimes add a tad of fat free alfredo (store) to mix it up. Load it with whatever veggies you want. I'm a fan of chicken & cheese too.
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    I used the sandwich flats! I toasted them in the oven, then added pizza sauce, sauteed onion and green pepper, chicken breast, and partskim mozzerella cheese!! Turned out to be about 225 calories, and it was AMAZING!!!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    trader joes sells this bag of frozen fire roasted veggies mix, (SO flipping good!!!) Add that to a whole wheat pizza dough, brush with olive oil and ta' da' yummy pizza. :) This bag of veggies is also really good with fish, chicken, or pasta. It's one of my fav. go to in a hurry meal makers.
  • bakaboy2000
    Options
    When I need Pizza, I take a large chicken breast, slice it VERY thin, add a thinly sliced onion and a bell pepper. Sautee then add Fajita seasoning mix to taste (sodium). I will use a low fat tortilla or a Boboli crust, put a little sauce on it, then add all the chicken mixture. Sprinkle a touch of mozerella cheese on it, then a light sprinkle of green-can cheese.

It doesn't taste like Fajitas at all. Add all the veggies you want.

If you put the cheese on the top, you don't add much, but it fools you into thinking there is a bunch.