The best Cardio for over all body

Options
Hello everyone! I've been running cross country since the 9th grade, and stopped running once I got to college. However, even now a days, when Im outside or at the gym, all I know how to do is run! and I've heard people going on the elliptical which I have been trying, or the stairmaster or even the stepper or stationary bike. And I was wondering which of these are best for burning fat all over your body and not just your legs.

Replies

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best full body workout that I know of.
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    Check out an indoor rower, it also works the entire body, easy on the joints and is great for burning calories.

There is a forum titled 'Rowing' on MFP, join up and feel free to ask questions of us there. We're happy to help out.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Circuit training will build muscle and help with fat burning
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    change the long cross country running to HIIT. better cardio and an afterburn. I also love the row machine, which is full body and has a good afterbrun too
  • vancityduck
    Options
    Running is a great way to lose weight all over. Add some weight lifting and you're good to go!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for cardiovascular health and creating a calorie deficit. No form of pure cardio is going to give you a super toned body on its own.
  • Northgardener
    Northgardener Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just remember, best is less important than what is convenient for you. Best is the kind you like and will do. Rowing is excellent (requires careful attention to form to avoid back issues) cross country ski machines are great and swimming is absolutely excellent. That said, they all require equipment or can only be done in special places. Running is easy and convenient for a pretty good overall workout at minimal cost with no wasted time. A jump rope is fantastic and efficient as well as very low cost (and easy on the joints)
  • sjanney007
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!!! It's awesome cardio and great toning :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    And I was wondering which of these are best for burning fat all over your body and not just your legs.

You can't spot reduce/burn. And cardio doesn't burn fat, necessarily. It burns Calories. True, some of those Calories will come from fat, but they will also likely come from muscle and the food you eat, too.

That said, the best cardio machine, IMO, is a rower. It works the muscles throughout your entire body. Just realize that - even though you'll be working many/most of your muscles - it won't do any actual fat burning that any other cardio would do.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred? It is circuit training. It has strength training, cardio, and abs.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Fat is burned all over, not just in spots. But to answer your question, best for me is kettlebell circuits.

Don't you just love all the different answers?
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Fat is burned all over, not just in spots. But to answer your question, best for me is kettlebell circuits.

Don't you just love all the different answers?

I love that no one actually answered her question. Her question is which of the things that she listed is best for all over fat burning. The answer, and this is only in my opinion and will vary from one person to the next, is the elliptical.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I love that no one actually answered her question. Her question is which of the things that she listed is best for all over fat burning. The answer, and this is only in my opinion and will vary from one person to the next, is the elliptical.

The answer is partially that every exercise burns fat all over. Nothing will "spot reduce". An elliptical doesn't burn fat all over any better than the treadmill, stairmaster, etc.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

The answer is partially that every exercise burns fat all over. Nothing will "spot reduce". An elliptical doesn't burn fat all over any better than the treadmill, stairmaster, etc.

It goes to personal preference. What you enjoy doing and will be consistent with is best for you. Change it up, you don't have to marry 1 machine or training schedule.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Any combination of cardio and weight training will do the job.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A good dance class is great all-over cardio. The best of all, in my book. Burns a lot of calories, is great fun, has music, lots of lively ladies, what else could you want?
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred? It is circuit training. It has strength training, cardio, and abs.

YESYESYESYES
    I do that and HIIR and have lost 2 pants sizes, and 18.5lb since November, and also have gotten some serious tone going on now!
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    step mill is awesome!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing pulls in the most muscles. They have some of the highest VO2max's in all sports.

Rowing right up there too.

For best cardiovascular exercise.

And mis-conception the muscles used burn fat in that area. They do burn the carbs in that area. But you'll put those right back with your next meal.
    Actually, that'll train the muscle to store more carbs in them. Bigger looking muscle then.
  • mvcartagena
    Options
    I think the stepmill is probably best. It really kicks my butt like nothing else can.