Swimming

Options
I just joined my local YMCA because they have a small indoor pool. I am getting back into a new exercise program and I would like to incorporate some swimming.

I am confident in the water (love the ocean) but my specific strokes are not technical at all (crawl is my weakness). I was taught the strokes when I was a kid, but that was a long long time ago :wink: I I suppose I could take some lessons, but I really just want to get started. Is wading through the laps going to be beneficial? Er...I guess I don't mean "wading", I mean more like kicking my legs and pushing the water back with my arms? I can also do the sidestroke and backstroke with some more confidence in my form.

Does anyone have experience with getting back into swimming? I plan to use the treadmill and eliptical machines as well, but really feel that changing things up will give me a more well rounded program.

69017.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• AlliOops
    AlliOops Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just joined my local YMCA because they have a small indoor pool. I am getting back into a new exercise program and I would like to incorporate some swimming.

I am confident in the water (love the ocean) but my specific strokes are not technical at all (crawl is my weakness). I was taught the strokes when I was a kid, but that was a long long time ago :wink: I I suppose I could take some lessons, but I really just want to get started. Is wading through the laps going to be beneficial? Er...I guess I don't mean "wading", I mean more like kicking my legs and pushing the water back with my arms? I can also do the sidestroke and backstroke with some more confidence in my form.

Does anyone have experience with getting back into swimming? I plan to use the treadmill and eliptical machines as well, but really feel that changing things up will give me a more well rounded program.

69017.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I swam everyday in high school. Last summer I decided to swim again. I just went to the beach and messed around doing small swim things(pushing into waves etc), I think any water exercise would be good. Just swim your laps the best you can. Itll tone you up and your strokes will get stronger and better. I dont think Id take lessons but sometimes just notice the stronger swimmers and watch how they do it then you can try. Dont forget to work on all strokes whether youre strong or weak on them. Just give it time :) Good luck!

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    another great thing to practice with is a kickboard. its a good way to get back into the strokes, specifically the crawl or breast stroke, with out doing the whole nine yards all at once...
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I think swimming is great exercise i have been going swimming every weekend and I def feel it in my muscles in my arms and legs- and I am not a strong swimmer.. just enjoy it
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about getting a real workout from swimming, see if there's a Master's Swim Club in your community (Check out www.usms.org), maybe even one that practices at your YMCA. Many clubs provide stroke clinics for adults where you can get some guidance on your crawl - call it "freestyle" when you speak with them.

Swimming puts a lot of stress on the shoulders and NOT getting guidance on your stroke can lead to an injury. So I strongly encourage you to find a coach who'd agree to meet with you at least once, if you don't decide to do a group activity.

Fringe benefits: if you end up joining the club, you'd enter a new social group with a lot of athletic folks who'd support your fitness goals and cheer you on as you get better and better. And if you're single, it's a great venue to meet athletic men - plus you already know what they look like in a Speedo. :wink:
  • AlliOops
    AlliOops Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Fringe benefits: if you end up joining the club, you'd enter a new social group with a lot of athletic folks who'd support your fitness goals and cheer you on as you get better and better. And if you're single, it's a great venue to meet athletic men - plus you already know what they look like in a Speedo. :wink:

LOL! I am single, and men in Speedos, I mean, is it hot in here or is it just me :love: I won't be doing any high intensity crawl strokes anytime soon, but the last thing I need is a shoulder injury. I am going to take it really slow.

But really great ideas. Thanks everyone. The YMCA has swim classes for intermediate levels, so I'll probably sign up if I like it. They also have swim aerobics and deep water running which I can't wait to try. I am always really hungry when I finish swimming, so it must do something right :smile:
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

They also have swim aerobics and deep water running which I can't wait to try. I am always really hungry when I finish swimming, so it must do something right :smile:

When I was pregnant I did a low intensity water workout and toned up pretty quick. Everytime I go to the beach I spend 3 hours in the water swimming, wave jumping and just messing around and ALWAYS am starved when I leave. When Im swimming laps in a pool I end up hungry to but not as much as when I leave the beach. Swim aerobics are fun. I hope you have fun :)