Headaches & Eating Healthy

Options
Since starting to eat better 19 days ago I have started having daily headaches. I did it when I was Atkins but now I am just counting calories and eating better foods. No limits on anything but fried foods and sweet tea. Is this common or should I see my doctor?

Replies

• lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As far as it being common or nothing to worry about I wouldn't have the first clue. I would say that if you have concerns then yes, you should go see a doctor! Best of luck to you!
  • dhitz
    dhitz Posts: 8
    Options
    I wouldn't contact your doctor right away because your body is more than likely just going through a withdrawal of sugary, fatty foods. Its amazing what our bodies actually do when we try to change them! If the headaches are worse than you've ever experienced or it is unusually strong then yes, I would get in touch with your doctor and make sure that you are on a good plan-- that you're not depriving your body of certain nutrients or vitamins--that could possibly be another reason... :smile:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I used to get really bad migraines, but once I starting working out and losing weight they pretty much stopped. The only time I get them now is during my TOM. If you get them every day, you might want to call your doctor.
  • CaseyLynn216
    CaseyLynn216 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been having headaches too. I've also been dizzy. I'm not an expert, but those feelings have started to go away now that I'm getting used to this new diet, so maybe it will get better for you too :wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I get them occasionally when my body is feeling deprived, especially if I am low on carbs. Once you start to adjust they should go away. I only get them after I race and don't eat enough right after. If you are feeling dizzy or weak you may not be eating enough calories. Remember that this program is just a computer using numbers. It does not evaluat your body. Try eating a bit more and see if they go away. The headaches are usually my body telling me I am depriving it of what it needs.

Good Luck.
  • GeauxTravel
    GeauxTravel Posts: 10
    Options
    I just went to the Dr today for my 30 day check in (i am doing a dr supervised plan). I told him that for the past 2 weeks I was having really bad headaches, they usually come on about 2pm. I live in south louisiana and all the flowers and trees are in full bloom so the pollen is thick, and I have had a very stressfull week, starting with haveing to get my 4 year old tested for type 1, then i had to fire a girl at work. He told me that it could be sinus/allergy headache or stress headache or it could be that my body is adjusting to the way i have been eating. He said if I go to long with out eating (which i try not to do) a drop in blood sugar could cause a headache. He told me just to go another week or so and if they dont get better we will start trying to find the cause by process of ilimation. Until then just take some motrin.
    I should mention that I have a history of migranes, and that the headaches I have had the last 2 weeks have not been as bad as a migraine. If you feel like this is the worst headache you have ever had or you feel like something is just not right it wouldnt hurt to check with your dr.
  • Msergoi1
    Options
    I have been on a program for four weeks and I am following a training diet of protein, veggies and lots of water and minimal carbs.. only complex and only about 40% of my daily intake. I work for doctors and believe me..don't see a doctor unless you can't manage your headache. I am losing about 1.4 pounds a week and hitting the gym 6 days a week and eating 1339 calories (per my BMI) and then whatever I work out and lose I eat back because I am already in a 861 calorie deficit from what I use to eat (2200 a day, sometimes more!!)
    I work for a detox clinic and let me tell you as other's have said..the body is adaptable and when you stop giving it what it is used to it thinks something is wrong. Stop taking Heroine and your body freaks out...so imagine any thing a can cause you to withdrawl. You can apply that to any addiction ( even a break up) the body responds by sending signals that indicates something is not "normal".
    Give yourself some more time. Try sipping a little caffeine to see if it is this or drink water..you may be dehydrated. Take a nibble of something you haven't been having and I bet your headache goes away!
  • Msergoi1
    Options
    FYI- I say don't see a doctor cause headache could be anything and they will send for a CT or MRI or just send you home with some over the counter suggestions.. Don't waste your money. If it is so bad that you have blurred vision and light sensitivity and ibproven doesn't work then you should seek help.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably just adjusting to the dietary changes. I have a problem with chronic tension headaches and migraines and not much has helped, including healthier eating. If you start getting too concerned, I'd see a doctor just to be safe.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating? Under eating can cause headaches. Another common cause is if you're lacking magnesium. This is something to look into. Have you cut caffeine out of your diet? Caffeine is tricky, because people think it helps headaches. It does, but it can also cause rebound headaches...it's a vicious cycle. If you've cut caffeine drastically, I would give it some more time and see if the headaches go away.

Your body is probably just adjusting to the dietary changes. I have a problem with chronic tension headaches and migraines and not much has helped, including healthier eating. If you start getting too concerned, I'd see a doctor just to be safe.

If you have 15+ migraine days a week, check into Botox for migraines. It changed my life. Down from 25+ migraine days a month to about 8.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I bet it's the lack of sweet tea :) Are you drinking unsweetened tea? Caffeine withdrawal is definitely a very real thing! It can be really awful if you go cold turkey, especially.

I got more headaches when I started cutting my calories and upping my exercise, and more calories helped a lot but not totally. But it turns out I'm incredibly low on iron, and the doctor independently decided to move on that. The pills have helped already. I've been low on iron for ages (years) and it took it affecting my hemoglobin enough for the doc to even mention it, lol. So you might want to look at your last blood levels and see if you have any questions for your doc.

I mean, I would've taken a multivitamin had I known, you know? Doctors can be strange about non-critical things, so it's not a bad idea to look into it. I would say just take a multivitamin in case, but you don't want to overdo any vitamin you might be too high on (like iron itself). Just get your last results, imho. Simple enough :) Good luck!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of migraines? In addition to what has already been said, a lot of healthy foods can be migraine triggers for people (citrus, beans, dairy, etc.).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Since starting to eat better 19 days ago I have started having daily headaches. I did it when I was Atkins but now I am just counting calories and eating better foods. No limits on anything but fried foods and sweet tea. Is this common or should I see my doctor?

How many calories per day are your eating? Are you exercising and eating back the exercise calories?

If you are worried, see your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    FYI- I say don't see a doctor cause headache could be anything and they will send for a CT or MRI or just send you home with some over the counter suggestions.. Don't waste your money. If it is so bad that you have blurred vision and light sensitivity and ibproven doesn't work then you should seek help.

No offense intended, but this is bad advice. You don't wait for extreme symptoms before going to the doctor.
  • r3ll1989
    r3ll1989 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How much sweet tea do you drink? It could be the lack of caffeine. Also, how is your Iron intake? When your iron is too low it can result in headaches.